88 glove box latch

2reattas

Try Jim Finn, or Marck Barker. This is an easily broken piece and hard to find a good replacement as it was a one year only part. I managed to fabricate one from a piece of aluminum angle stock with a drill press and grinder, but took some doing to get it just right. This is a piece that is begging for a 3D printed reproduction, if it can be made strong enough. Based on what I've seen so far from consumer level 3D printers, the plastic lacks the tensile strength to work in this application.

Have thought for some time that a 3D printer would be ideal for this if the result is strong enough. Problem is many are broken by people trying to open who do not know there is a slide in the back of the box.

One of my many projects has been to put an 88 glovebox in my 90 since I park a lot with the top down. but the main issue is the two buttons inside.

88glovelatch.jpg

33 minutes ago, padgett said:

Have thought for some time that a 3D printer would be ideal for this if the result is strong enough. Problem is many are broken by people trying to open who do not know there is a slide in the back of the box.

One of my many projects has been to put an 88 glovebox in my 90 since I park a lot with the top down. but the main issue is the two buttons inside.

88glovelatch.jpg

or you could refeed the switches so they only have power with the ignition on or from a hidden switch.

I put an '89 glove box in my '88 because my wife and I didn't like using the button on the console to open the door. (Thanks Dave!) We like the latch on the outside much better but the '89 box is much smaller inside so my '88 owners manual won't fit it. The '89 owners manual must be smaller. That doesn't matter to me because I keep my FSM in the compartment behind the seat.

I don't know how hard it would be to put a '88 glove box in a later model. Putting an '89 glove box into my '88 wasn't a simple swap like I thought it would be. As you can see in the photo below, compared to my previous photo the boxes are completely different. The '89 box normally has two support arms. I had to remove the door support arm on the left because the '88 dash is not made with a space for it to clear inside the dash when the door is closed. I also had to cover the space where the buttons were located with some gray carpet that doesn't match perfectly but that's not a big deal.

I think it would be even harder to put a '88 box in a '90 model.  I suspect the dash opening is made completely different where the box goes in compared to the '88 model. It could be done. Just don't plan on it being an easy swap.

SAM_3570.thumb.JPG.4378dd38736ce0cdb65ffbf88d953e9b.JPG

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Why - because I can go for months without putting the top up here. In a closed garage and if not nice out I drive something else.

How - dunno yet but have always had trouble with cosmetics.

When - have trouble with procrastination/motivation

I'm planning to put an 88 glove box in my convertible so it is more secure with the top down as well. I will also be adding external switches (as in 1988) for lamp retract, trunk and glove box. I have the glove box at the ready, just need time and ambition is (and for stuff on my other cars to stop breaking) to get it done. Right now that project is well down the priority list.