• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dave,

Yes, the upholstery is red and has a back marble running through it.  Although I believe that it should be black to be correct, it does give a nice contrast and ties in nicely with the wood wheels.  The wheel options for this car were black, green, red, and natural wood.  Given you have some knowledge on pre WWII upholstery, when was color introduced?  I did a little checking on this and I don't recall the source, but it seems like they stated 1915.  The reason that I ask is that I am looking at a late teens touring car that has tan upholstery and it is being advertised as correct.  What's your thoughts?

On your listing of cars I see that you have a gap, going from 1910 to 1927.  I think this Overland would fill in that gap in your collection very nicely.

Thanks.

Not helping with your sale (wish you luck though) but thought I'd show you what our 1920 Overland has. This is the original leather and well worn. Car was built in Toronto vs Toledo and as such has a wood body vs all steel built in Toledo.

DSCN0697.thumb.JPG.156c6729ee69ae1007ae1309e6300f7a.JPG

• Like 1

Great looking car (s).

Since my truck had to spend the winter outside this year, I've got to build more storage before I can get another.

Good luck on the sale.

Bill

Dei & Dave,

Given Dei's 20 Overland has brown upholstery and appears to be original, what's the thought on when color was introduced?  I guess it could have been introduced in Canada, or elsewhere, before the US.  The car that I'm looking at with tan upholstery is 17 model year.  In the case of my Overland the previous owner put the upholstery in and given that it has aIot of wear left and I am selling to pursue another car, I don't want to spend any more money as I'm sure that I won't recoup it.  Thanks.

I recently posted pictures of top materials, an original sample book from the late teens or early twenties, and there was quite a selection of colors available for top material.  Picture shown here shows the inner liner of the material.

I don't have any such leather samples in hand, but would think that there were colors of leather available, other than black, even back in the 1800's.  Dyeing leather was a craft, and common, as hides had to be dyed black, the most common color.  The natural color of a leather hide is a medium tan, so a tan color would be easy.  I'm sure there were other colors available, maroon and so forth.

We tend to think of the oughts and teens as black and white colorless times, but that's just not true.  The original paint color on my 1910 Hupmobile was a vibrant red, closer to a poppy orange, and it's verified from an original car.  Carriages had been painted rich greens and blues for decades.

So, yes, I believe there were colors available for leather, particularly by the late teens.  I do have some Pierce Arrow leather samples that date from the early 20's, and are a tan color.

Marty rear picture Hupp.jpg

29c.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

I don't have any such leather samples in hand, but would think that there were colors of leather available, other than black, even back in the 1800's....

So, yes, I believe there were colors available for leather, particularly by the late teens. 

One member of our AACA region has owned

an all-original 1906 Cadillac Model K runabout.

It has its original upholstery, which is maroon leather

with black piping.  Until this car became known, 

even Cadillac experts didn't realize that Cadillac

offered constrasting piping back then.

I agree with David above.  Color has existed since

the beginning of time.  We think of all-black Ford Model T's,

and we see old pictures in black-and-white, but life could be

just as vibrant back then as it was decades later. 

I realize this is just an illustration, but this 1899 Woods Electric

(from an original catalogue) shows tan colored upholstery

next to the woman in the back seat:

1899 Woods Electric (7).jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

9 hours ago, RodgerWilson said:

Thank you all for your comments.  I appreciate your insight.

Just a thought, have you checked with the WOKR  (Willys Overland Knight Registry) at all?

They have lots of original factory information from the Toledo plant saved many years ago and while likely not samples, the data / specs on materials is likely there. 

Dad was able to purchase full scale copies of the rear section of his 1928 Whippet Cabriolet when he was restoring it and they also have a Forums that might be helpful regard the 17.

Good Luck with things. Let us know how you make out.

I am a member of WOKR and we actually have a regional meet in New Ulm MN starting on Thursday this week.  I'll make some inquiries while I with some of the folks.  But my original inquiry was about a different manufacturer from the teens.  Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...