1956 Dynaflow repair and mounting mods

On 1/31/2016 at 6:20 AM, buick5563 said:

Greg,

The last sentence gets lost. This is really good information to have since you were going to do major surgery to make it fit.

Keep us posted.

Also, this info may Ned to be in Post war just on its own once you get verification that it works.

Good job

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Greg,

The last sentence gets lost. This is really good information to have since you were going to do major surgery to make it fit.

Keep us posted.

Also, this info may Ned to be in Post war just on its own once you get verification that it works.k

Good job.

A

Seems enough modifying is being done that this is the right place for it but yea, could be of interest to both post and prewar also so I have posted some links in each directing folks here. (Actually the P/M forum needs all the traffic and onlookers it can get)

Would love to have a 56 dflow in my Century for sure!

I put a '56 dynaflow in my '55 Special. I removed it from my '55 Century parts car! Then found out it was a 56 trans with alum bell hsg and 1" longer. Install in the 55 Special was routine, only slotted some holes and used same crossmember.

The '56 ujoint will need to be replaced with the '55 to mate with driveshaft.

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)

On 2/2/2016 at 6:57 PM, TexasJohn55 said:

I put a '56 dynaflow in my '55 Special. I removed it from my '55 Century parts car! Then found out it was a 56 trans with alum bell hsg and 1" longer. Install in the 55 Special was routine, only slotted some holes and used same crossmember.The '56 ujoint will need to be replaced with the '55 to mate with driveshaft.a

2carb40,

Actually my rear wheels look to be centered in the wheel wells and an inch forward would look odd in my mind. I don't recall any other areas of concern, it just moved everything back 1". The extra length of the '56 trans over the 55 is the bell hsg (and corresponding converter).

On 2/4/2016 at 9:38 PM, TexasJohn55 said:

2carb40,

Actually my rear wheels look to be centered in the wheel wells and an inch forward would look odd in my mind. I don't recall any other areas of concern, it just moved everything back 1". The extra length of the '56 trans over the 55 is the bell hsg (and corresponding converter).

T

2carb40:

I also have heard that the 53 Series 40 bell housing will bolt up to earlier straight eight engines and allow the use of the 1953 Series 40 Twin Turbine Dynaflow instead of the earlier 1948-52 units. However, I am not sure that the 53 Series 50 & 70 Twin Turbine Dynaflows and later Dynaflows for the V-8's will be a good match to the straight eight engines. Please report here if you hear of anyone who has used the later Dynaflows with the straight eight engines.

A very interesting thread with much good information. Thanks for posting.

Joe, BCA 33493

On 2/5/2016 at 10:58 AM, JPIndusi said:

2carb40:

I also have heard that the 53 Series 40 bell housing will bolt up to earlier straight eight engines and allow the use of the 1953 Series 40 Twin Turbine Dynaflow instead of the earlier 1948-52 units. However, I am not sure that the 53 Series 50 & 70 Twin Turbine Dynaflows and later Dynaflows for the V-8's will be a good match to the straight eight engines. Please report here if you hear of anyone who has used the later Dynaflows with the straight eight engines.

A very interesting thread with much good information. Thanks for posting.

Joe, BCA 33493a

• 4 weeks later...

Greg,

Keep us posted.

Also, this info may Ned to be in Post war just on its own once you get verification that it works.

Good job.

B

• 2 months later...

On 2/2/2016 at 7:00 AM, MrEarl said:

Seems enough modifying is being done that this is the right place for it but yea, could be of interest to both post and prewar also so I have posted some links in each directing folks here. (Actually the P/M forum needs all the traffic and onlookers it can get)

Would love to have a 56 dflow in my Century for surea

Edited by Guest
Lite not britest bulb on tree! (see edit history)

Would love to have a 56 dflow in my Century for sureaa

Edited by Guest
Dim bulb! (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to have a 56 dflow in my Century for sureaa

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, 2carb40 said:

Good news

Just ordered 4 new complete brake wheel cyls from Jackson auto and Machine in Duluth, MN 64.OO includes shipping, yeah! New Orleans for the weekend, then look out world, its test drive time with the new 56 trans, woohoo!

We look forward to the report out on the test drive!