brake accumulator

Chadwell

Does anyone know where I can purchase a brake pressure accumulator, AC Delco part number 25528382?  I've tried every possible resource I could find, including the Reatta Store, but no one has them available.  

Thanks for your help.

The OEM Delco unit is discontinued and no longer available, unless you find a NOS unit somewhere sitting (getting unlikely at this point). East Coast Reatta parts sells a reproduction made to original spec, or there is an aftermarket unit that works (but was not specifically intended for the Reatta thus the physical size is a bit larger) Now I cannot think of the name of the outfit offering the latter unit. There was a lengthy thread on accumulators here several months ago that went many pages long in which this unit was found to be a viable option. A search for "ABS accumulator" should find the thread easily enough. In any case, there are at least two workable options for replacement accumulators, just none available through dealer counters or auto-parts stores now.

KDirk

Guest Kingsley

The OEM Delco unit is discontinued and no longer available, unless you find a NOS unit somewhere sitting (getting unlikely at this point). East Coast Reatta parts sells a reproduction made to original spec, or there is an aftermarket unit that works (but was not specifically intended for the Reatta thus the physical size is a bit larger) Now I cannot think of the name of the outfit offering the latter unit. There was a lengthy thread on accumulators here several months ago that went many pages long in which this unit was found to be a viable option. A search for "ABS accumulator" should find the thread easily enough. In any case, there are at least two workable options for replacement accumulators, just none available through dealer counters or auto-parts stores now.

KDirk

Kevin - I am possibly wrong but had the understanding that Marck's aftermarket unit did require the use of clearance washers underneath the cross bars which would indicate that it possibly may not to OE specs.  Equivalent washers are also required for the Hydac aftermarket accumulator which has a 20 cubic inch volume marking.  Would help if Marck could give us an indication of the volume of his aftermarket unit so everyone can be aware of the details of his unit.

Marck is certainly to be congratualed for stepping out and securing his source. 

The seller of the Hydac unit, as of the last reading, is out of stock, a situation caused by an unexpected single order for some 30 accumulators from a parts vendor, most certainly not  Marck.

Kingsley

Mike at www.buickreattaparts.com does carry this part just so you know. According to Mike, they do have the accumulators available, and they are very new, produced in the last six months. this is critical, as new "old" accumulators have completely lost their nitrogen charge. Good to know, I hope this helps!

• Like 1

Saab and Jaguar both used the same Teves part (the one sold by Delco as the part number ref'd in tbe OP) and so all three were interchangeable.

You can still find a handful of Saab and Jaguar OEM packaged parts around but the pricing is usually outrageous, especially for a part of unknown age. The Jag part had a huge markup to begin with because, well, the box that says "Jaguar" on it costs $200 to make, and the tuxedo clad British gentelman who put the accumulator in the box at the factory nicked another $100 per unit. Ok, that's what I heard. The Saab packaged parts were also more costly than the GM ones but not as much as Jag. Of course, smart people figured out that the Delco part was the same so paid GM's price rather than the luxury mark's inflated price for the same unit (all were sourced from Teves and had the same spec). Note that the warning stickers differed on the Jaguar versions I've seen. I suspect the stickers were applied by the distibuting company, or at least spec'd by them if applied by Teves at time of manufacture.

KDirk

• Like 2

I owned a 1988 Jaguar XJ-SC, very nice and beautiful car. The Cabby as they are called by the British has a removable top and featured a 12 cylinder motor. I really loved that car. Like KD said, the parts however were outrageous to purchase. My last straw was $750 for a window lift motor, I sold the car after that and never check Craigslist or the classifieds for Jags ever now-period! I imagine Saab is not far off.

Guest Richard D

I think Chrysler used the same teves unit in the line of LH cars from 1993 through first generation, second generation of LH used the Teves mark 4 or something that won't fit our cars.

Teves supplied the ABS brake assemblies for several cars in the mid to late '80's,    Components like the pressure sw, pump and motor, accumulator were pretty standard,  but for space reasons the mounting and outward appearance of the master cylinder assembly might vary.

One reference source listed the following as using the Teves Mark 2 ABS,  for space I will only list the manufacturer.... Lincoln, Buick, Cadillac, Olds, Pontiac, Ford, Mercury, Saab, Merkur, Peugeot, Volkswagen.

While not listed above, I have looked at Chrysler TC convertible brake systems and it is the same as ours.      The ABS system was usually an option on the makes listed above, so if you are searching salvage yards you might look a long time before you find a 1989 Buick LeSabre with ABS brakes.    We think that Cadillac Seville, and Eldorado with the Touring package came standard with ABS but have not seen enough to confirm.

I recently posted I had looked at a 1996 Ferrari 355 that had the same  pressure sw., accumulator, and the pump motor looked the same but the  pump block was different.   I could not see the master cylinder.  

Several years back I talked with the parts people at a SAAB dealership.   I showed them a Reatta accumulator and they said it looked like the part they had seen but they did not stock the part so we could not get and one-on-one comparison.   They did say that their parts was $300 (the Reatta part at that time was about $140 from GM)

Also was standard on at least some years of the Pontiac 6000STE. I *think* it was standard on the Bonneville SSE and optional on others. This is the 86-90 period. I am not sure about 1991 but by 1992 it was the Delco unit.

Issue is that the Teves was only available for a relatively short time (1986-1990 for GM) and was an expensive option (over $1000 for my 1990 Bonneville, that few dealers would floorplan. Today ABS is almost taken for granted but back then it was a common belief that a good driver could stop faster than an ABS (and by definition every American is a "good driver" - just ask them).

In some ways it is amazing that it has worked so well and for so long. Suspect it would have been longer if the error codes had more of a relation to the actual problem.

Guest Kingsley

I was just contacted by the http://spinningwheels-sc.com  and told that the new shipment of hydac accumulators are in stock and available.I just thought I would let others know.

tatooded6 - thanks for passing this along.

In talking with them, they clarified one point in their revised website description of the accumulator.  While they refer to it as a 2015 model it is the same model that they have been selling since 2010. 

As outlined on their website, the price has increased to $155.00 plus shipping and is the only increase since 2010. They purchase directly from Hydac in Germany and that undoubtedly is the reason they can offer them at this very attracdtive price level.

The accumulator we purchased several months ago continues to perform qjuite well in a daily driver.

Kingsley

www.reattaspecialtyparts.com - The quality of our parts and our customer service merits us a listing in the Reatta Resource section.

To clarify, are these accumulators an acceptable substitute from OEM?  Are any modifications needed?

tatooded6 - thanks for passing this along.

In talking with them, they clarified one point in their revised website description of the accumulator.  While they refer to it as a 2015 model it is the same model that they have been selling since 2010. 

As outlined on their website, the price has increased to $155.00 plus shipping and is the only increase since 2010. They purchase directly from Hydac in Germany and that undoubtedly is the reason they can offer them at this very attracdtive price level.

The accumulator we purchased several months ago continues to perform qjuite well in a daily driver.

Kingsley

www.reattaspecialtyparts.com - The quality of our parts and our customer service merits us a listing in the Reatta Resource section.

Guest Kingsley

Ervin - as reflected in earlier posts, these accumulators are compatible for use with the Reatta's TEVES Mark II ABS system as well as the many other GM, Ford and Chrysler cars of like vintage using the same MARK II ABS system.as reflected in Spinningwheels-sc website.

Like other aftermarket replacememt accumulators, the Hydac is slightly larger than the OE part and the use of several washers under the cowl cross peice is recommended to give proper clearance.

Kingsley -

www.reattaspecialtyparts.com - The quality of our parts and customer service merit our listing in the Reatta Resouce section.

Can you be more specific regarding these washers?  Size (diameter, thickness and material).  Using multiple washers - wouldn't they allow for a proper seal?  Has anyone (successfully) installed one of these accumulators on their Reatta?

Ervin - as reflected in earlier posts, these accumulators are compatible for use with the Reatta's TEVES Mark II ABS system as well as the many other GM, Ford and Chrysler cars of like vintage using the same MARK II ABS system.as reflected in Spinningwheels-sc website.

Like other aftermarket replacememt accumulators, the Hydac is slightly larger than the OE part and the use of several washers under the cowl cross peice is recommended to give proper clearance.

Kingsley -

www.reattaspecialtyparts.com - The quality of our parts and customer service merit our listing in the Reatta Resouce section.

Guest Kingsley

Can you be more specific regarding these washers?  Size (diameter, thickness and material).  Using multiple washers - wouldn't they allow for a proper seal?  Has anyone (successfully) installed one of these accumulators on their Reatta?

Ervin - I would suggest that you use 5/16"ID  common flat washers.  Start with two on each stud and, if that does not give the proper clearance, add one.  If that Is too much clearance, take one away!  This is tried and true!

These Hydac accumulators are very compatible with the Reatta TEVES Mark II ABS system and are functioning well in every day use.

Kingsley

www.reattaspecialtyparts.com -  The quality of our product and our customer service merit our listing in the Reatta Resource section

Edited by Kingsley (see edit history)

Bushwack I believe you are missing the placement of the washers. They are not under the accumulator, they go under the stud on the crossmemebr to give it more distance from the accumulator to allow for the slightly larger diameter.

• Like 1