Buicks Love for Old Glory

MrEarl

As I'm sure many of us recognize, Buick has long displayed it's patriotic love and appreciation for country by displaying the colors of Old Glory right on the cars itself in the way of badges, ornaments etc. I just wanted to post this and open a discussion relative to that fact and hopefully learn more about this. Does anyone know when the first "Colors" were displayed on the cars.

I found this old early 1900's post card on ebay which testifies to the fact that they paid tribute to Old Glory back then.

cpd.jpg

and when someone asked over on the 1954Buick.com forum what the colors names and formulas for the paint for 54 Buick emblems and trunk ornament were, here was the reply.

>Color names? ......Old Glory Red, Old Glory White and Old Glory Blue.

Formulas? well, just mix up some courage, hardiness, valor and blood for the Red, purity and innocence for the White and vigilance, perseverance and lots of God for the Blue.

Seriously, forty6R, these colors below in a rattle can will work just fine. In fact the first time I bought paint for these pieces, I used a flag that was on sale in the hardware store where I bought paint. Just be careful that the blue isn't too dark.

800px-Flag_of_the_United_Statessvg.png

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

• 3 years later...
Guest Rob McDonald

Gee, I thought maybe Buick was honouring the French Tri-Colour, since David Dunbar's family name sounds vaguely French or Belgian. No so. Google tells me that the Buicks (and Bewickes and Berwicks) originated in Berwickshire, Scotland. We Scots don't have much use for the Union Jack, so Old Glory it is then!

photo by Anthony Catalano, UK

post-59990-143139271986_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Here's my entry. Some of you may have seen it before, but I thought it would go well here.

Below is a scan of an original drawing by an unknown Buick/GM Artist.

The original drawing is from my collection that I purchased about five years ago from Walter Miller.

The drawing was done free hand in colored ink on onionskin paper. The scan does a poor job. The actual drawing is stunning to look at.

This artist' conception is of a proposed emblem for the 1958 Buick Roadmaster.

post-58764-143139272004_thumb.jpg

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

Send your suggestion in xp-300, one NEVER KNOWS......

The one of the neon sign hanging reminds me of the one on Dad's dealership in the late 40's. Do you know the year of such?

I'm NOT surprised, that Grease Monkey showed off his choice. Nice piece, I may have a nice piece to show you all in the not to distant future, MAYBE...

Dale in Indy

• 3 years later...

Bringing this back up since Buick has decided to bring back the red, white and blue colors of Old Glory. While probably old news to some, some may not have heard. I for one am very glad to see this happening. 

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/01/avenir-concept-introduces-new-buick-grille-reinstates-colorful-tri-shield-logo-feature-spotlight/

• Like 1

I'm probably one of the most patriotic guys around - Cub scouts, Boy scouts, and 20 years in the Army, but I was lead to believe that the red, white, and blue that Buick uses in it's emblems came from the red, white, and blue that was in the original Scottish family crest of David Dunbar Buick's family.  ?????

• Like 1

I think you're right about the red white and blue badge which was first used in 1937...

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/08/the-origins-of-the-buick-badge-are-highlighted/

but I guess my contention is that, as suggested by the old photo in the first post,  Buick has always proudly and patriotically displayed America's colors.