Just found and rescued another one...

Pete Phillips

1957 Super 4-dr. hardtop, found it in a muddy field about 25 miles northwest of here. Got a little bit of mud kicked up on it while towing it out of the field. Last on the road in 1970. Motor is locked up tight with no air cleaner on the carb. But the rear bumper ends are absolutely perfect--amazing! Factory A/C car but the compressor is missing, shows a little over 80,000 miles. Loaded it up and brought it home this afternoon. Interior is pretty rough; floors pretty decent. Not sure what to do with it just yet--open to suggestions. Have more than enough restoration projects already. Has title and keys. THEY ARE STILL OUT THERE!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

post-32059-143143083353_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143143083362_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143143083375_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143143083382_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143143083391_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143143083397_thumb.jpg

Pete you did the right thing and got it into capable hands once again. I would just take the intake manifold off - small job - buy a gallon of Marvel Mystery Oil with funnel and pour as much marvel mystery oil that each intake port can hold. Then remove the plugs and fill each cylinder with MMO as well then just let it set for a couple of weeks. Come back and gently rock the 7/8" crank bolt with a socket and ratchet with a pipe extension over the ratchet handle. This has done the trick for me on railheads over and over regardless of how long they have sat. Nice find with the rare A/C setup. Wash the whole car off and spray it all over with MMO with what's left over from the Gallon and let it set for a month. It will eat away all the blush rust from all surfaces. Then wash off the car and posts some photos. It will look a whole lot better and perhaps you may want to just sit on it for a while.

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

David,

Thanks for that good advice. I've never heard of putting the Marvel Mystery oil in that way--but that sounds like the very best way to do it. Thanks for that! Also didn't know it would work on surface rust, so I'll try that, too. I've already put some better tires on it tonight. Didn't need this car and really don't have the room, but I couldn't turn it down when the guy dropped it to not a whole lot more than scrap price.

Pete

Hi Pete!

Congratulations! What a great find. I fully concur with Dave regarding the Marvel Mystery Oil, I have used it myself to loosen other stuck parts several times , its really a "Mystery Oil" as Gorilla Glue:).

Hope you keep it, or find somebody who is willing to restore it. I'm really surprised by the condition of the car been out in open so many years!

Only those rear bumper ends is worth a small fortune.

Please keep us updated!

Edited by Topper1961 (see edit history)

Joern your so right, I hope Pete finds the time and a way to clean it up and just keep it or have it go to a good home. I have bought more than a few cars that same way, kinda falls into your lap and it's a no brainer.

Yes Pete, MMO will eat and dissolve rust even when you apply it on top of existing paint that has a blush kiss mist of rust. It will not harm the painted surface as far as I have seen. In my neck of the woods, I go down the road to a beauty supply store and they always have a good selection of chemical resistant plastic spray bottles with "adjustable" nozzles and cost around $ 4.00 each. I buy the ones that are round n stout like those old fashion plastic ketchup bottles about the circumference of a big round tomato. Use a small funnel to load it up. That way I can get into any real tight areas and they hold more then the tall skinny ones anyways. With the adjustable nozzle tip, you can spray various consistency products from oil to acid to orange cleaner. I also have a cheap long bristle narrow paint brush that I use to agitate the area after spraying, When applying to the outside of the car I just mop it on out of a bucket being careful not to be wasteful but insuring I get coverage. I apply two coats with at least 4 days apart for each coat.

We use it on the engine bay as well including the inner fender wells and firewall area. Marvel Mystery Oil is more of a kinda ester fluid then actually a true oil. It has components to it that evaporate leaving a paste or paraffin like thin residue behind that washes off easily with soap and water. I spray all my chrome on my cars when storing for winter. That way any Dew which collects during winter causes no harm nor rust then just shampoo off come spring time.

I would just Citrus wash everything and area of the car, inside and out real well, open everything up and let it sun dry for a couple days then dump, spray and brush on the MMO everywhere in 2 coats with 4 days in between. Then cover the car with a plastic tarp front to back, side to side and let it just sit. Come back in a month uncover it and let us know what you think. You will be able to take old rags and just wipe the surface blush rust away.