Opinion on Dying Interior Parts

Tder1

Hey Guys,

I can't find any resource to buy Seat Covers or anything Red for my 73 60/40's. I need to repair or send the Door Panels to be repaired but what is your opinion or experience with the New Dye Methods ? Does it hold up? Best Products to use? I hate the fact that I might have to go that route but my choices seem to be limited. If I could find em I would be happy to buy them but none out there. I always scratched my head when I see nice door panels and people tell me thats the way they were. The Armrests take a beating from opening the Doors. People always seem to push right in the wrong place and after time..... Cracks. Thanks

Hey Guys,

I can't find any resource to buy Seat Covers or anything Red for my 73 60/40's. I need to repair or send the Door Panels to be repaired but what is your opinion or experience with the New Dye Methods ? Does it hold up? Best Products to use? I hate the fact that I might have to go that route but my choices seem to be limited. If I could find em I would be happy to buy them but none out there. I always scratched my head when I see nice door panels and people tell me thats the way they were. The Armrests take a beating from opening the Doors. People always seem to push right in the wrong place and after time..... Cracks. Thanks

I have had good luck with them over the years. If you bring your color code to an automotive paint store they can typically make a spray can up for you at reasonable cost. As Ed states below, the prep has to be done right or you will not be pleased with the results. If there is any Armor All or other protective coatings on the vinyl, you will have to take extra care in getting this completely off. There are products out there that will safely remove these products.

Pat

I've had good luck with Duplicolor Vinyl paint ($28 for a 6 pack at Amazon) when repainting my faded blue interior and changing it to black. I used flat black on everything. The vinyl looks semi glossy, the carpet looks black, the plastic looks flat. I prepped wiping things down with lacquer thinner.post-100302-143143081881_thumb.jpg

post-100302-143143081869_thumb.jpg

post-100302-143143081873_thumb.jpg

post-100302-143143081878_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys for the comments, They are valuable. Wow Rapom, Looks really good. Wouldn't even believe its the same car. Door Panel looks Awesome! You did a nice job turning ordinary into real Class. I wasn't sure about the Lacquer Thinner but now I'm sure to use it. I'll give it a try and see. Keep my eyes open for some OEM Parts in the meantime. Damn Red on a 73 is tough to find. They make Seat Covers in the Oddest Colors IMO but no Red ? Seems strange to me. There are plenty of Red Interiors out there. I'm trying to talk someone into making me a set but not having much luck.

Edited by Tder1 (see edit history)

I dyed the set in mine from dark green to black in 1979. The green shows on the welt at the lower edge of the driver's seat. Other than that its all fine. I did the job with a used car detailer in the summer. We cleaned and saturated the vinyl with lacquer thinner in bright sunshine with the seats as hot as we could get them. Then we sprayed the dye with the seats still hot to touch. We may have violated a couple of the instruction recommendations, but if they hold up another 20 years I'll be OK with the job.

Bernie

A tip with the lacquer thinner is not to spend to much time wiping or it can damage the vinyl. Just enough to clean the surface and it also dries real quick. Dulplicolor recommends a prep spray but I was cheap and already had the lacquer thinner on hand.

Good luck with your quest on restoring your interior.

We may have violated a couple of the instruction recommendations, but if they hold up another 20 years I'll be OK with the job.

Bernie

I put that part in because I remember being concerned with the liberal use of lacquer thinner at the time. We did take it to the point where the vinyl was noticeably affected and we sprayed extremely hot seats in the direct sun. 36 years later they still look great and I expect to sell them when I do the paintwork and color change.

I did it and it worked. In the intervening time I have seen a lot of peeling dye jobs. I guess that's why the empirical guys have more fun that the theoretical.

Bernie

Lacquer Thinner, MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone,) Acetone, a new product called Bio-Solv, and other solvents like this open the pores of the vinyl. That lets the dye penetrate the vinyl rather than just lying on the surface. It also allows dirt etc. to be extracted from the vinyl. Be careful, you can use too much and the vinyl will relax and not return to its original state.