1939 chrysler

Guest Bptrucker

Guest Bptrucker

I'm looking for a bunch of body parts for my 1939 Chrysler royal 4 door, floor/truck pans, running boards.

Can someone please help, or atleast maybe point me in the right direct, that

Unfortunately, that is one of the most difficult cars out there to find parts for. Check Hemmings for yards out in Idaho, Montana, etc. Regularly visit eBay, and I would suggest buying a parts car if one turns up, and several have over the last 3-6 months on eBay. My grandfather had a 1939 Chrysler Royal, and I've always been interested in 1939 Chrysler's; although I've never owned one. I did write an article about them for ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE back around 1998. So, I check eBay from time to time, mostly just out of interest. I think what made those cars disappear so badly was the plastic dash that crumbled very early in the car's lifetime. I remember how badly my grandfather's dash cracked up, and that was back during WWII.

Guest AlCapone

My father in law sold his 39 Chrysler project because he was simply not able to find parts. He went to all the major shows including Hershey as well as placing a significant amount of ads. Any parts he did find were of course expensive ! God luck. You have a major job ahead of you. Wayne

Guest AlCapone

if you can use the car he has listed it at least a half dozen times. If there is an interior that was our greatest hardship finding interior parts !

Wayne

Hi Bptrucker and G\day from down under, I notice that Dynaflash8 and Alcapone has advised how difficult the 39 Chryslers are to find parts for !!

Man you should try doing that from Australia, you've got it easy!! I have found that this forum has not been been very successful for me. So I have had to do lots of my own research chasing 39 Chrysler parts in the USA and sometimes it's amazing where they turn up. Whilst mechanical parts are usually available, electrical and certainly body parts are like hens teeth!

(they are even rarer than a hens dentist here)

EBay is a useful source but I have discovered through Ebay many Yankee friends who have bent over back wards to help me out, just ask questions.

I have found some good leads and most parts I have needed, taken me two years though.

I bought my car from a family that had owned it for 75 years, it spent many years as a Taxi cab transporting WW11 US of A service men from their Canungra barracks to and from Brisbane in Queensland Australia and later as a local country taxi. Being an old taxi all the door mechanisms, winders, handles etc were ruined. But I was able to source replacements from the US and even a brand new set of original window winder handles, how good is that.

My personal email is richardhele@yahoo.com if you would like to contact me off air,

Richard

G'day BPtrucker, hope you can find all your bits, but your best bet in your country is to snap up a parts car that's close to home, it will be cheaper in the long run. What parts you don't need you can sell on through ebay.

I found a very, very rare incomplete rhd parts car in OZ for $1500 but because the freight from 2000 miles away was well over $2900 that ruled it out for me.

Good luck in your search,

Tricky

I watched a movie on TV the other night called "The Natural". It was a baseball movie. Anyway, on the outfield wall was a huge ad for a 1939 Chrysler. I thought that was kind of neat. I've got a couple pieces of advertising literature left over from my 1998 AACA article on 1939 Chrysler cars if you need one I'll try to find it.

Hang in there and don't give up the battle. There are people on this site who regularly restore far more obscure cars than a '39 Chrysler. The results, when you're finished, will be better, more interesting and rarer car than the ones which are far more common. '39 Chryslers, DeSotos and Dodges have unique one year only bodies with interesting lines. I don't recall the story right now, but I think that a fire or a strike, or some such, made bodies from Chrysler's regular source unavailable for '39. I, personally, didn't care much for the look of '39 Chryslers, specifically, at first. Over the years, however, I've come to admire them a great deal. I think that Chrysler's take on the "waterfall" grille is quite striking, as is their front bumper. I also think that they are particularly snazzy with fender skirts, although I find that the accessory bumper guards and fog lights are somewhat distracting.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwMa4xzOqtLJNuzrBh_jhv5DiqJ6mKVj7DoEsLummZdji3l42k

1939chrysler010203.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIePYAWQ3zx-CNwDGORYX7--S17HrcS7pcyX9qGv831M3JU7ZX2w

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDyUE4mrGMjh0FPv-bM5ug8gb6Q0wADldAjnuwY7AY-OreWoEm

1939 was a notable year for all automakers for it was the last year before sealed-beam headlamps. It seems as if the car designers gave it their all with the unique headlight styles this year. IMHO cars lost a lot of personality with the change.

1939 was a notable year for all automakers for it was the last year before sealed-beam headlamps. It seems as if the car designers gave it their all with the unique headlight styles this year. IMHO cars lost a lot of personality with the change.

I agree wholeheartedly. Sealed beams led to an unfortunately homogeneous look, while stylists lost an opportunity to show their artistry.