Steering Question

Guest BobFitz

Guest BobFitz

I usually hang out on the TC Maserati forum but I am looking at a Reatta. Owner says the steering will become non functional and the steering wheel will just turn with no front wheel movement.

Anyone ever seen this and what could cause it?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

That is a most unusual symptom. It has to be a mechanical malfunction.

Although unlikely, the bolts/brackets for the rack & pinion unit are loose/broken.

the coupling between the steering column and the R&P unit has become undone or

the splines between the steering wheel and shaft have sheared.

Perhaps even the rod ends at the steering knuckle have come off.

All the above is unheard of and unlikely as far as I know but what else could it be?

John F.

Guest BobFitz

Basically my thoughts also. It almost has to be a bolt or pin that has come out in normal driving. If it was caused by a collision it could be most anything. There is some RF fender damage up above the bumper. The owner says this is an intermittent problem which further confuses the issue.

The car is 8 hours away and I am hesitant to travel that distance to see a car with possible major front end damage.

Bob

I too agree this is unheard of. Well, not really. I worked on a Fiero that had the entire steering column replaced due to the original butchered from theft. Someone didn't tighten the pinch bolt at the base of the column. The two sections of the column held together for a week, then the lower half slipped out of the coupling. Free wheeling steering wheel. Fortunately this occurred in a parking lot. Scary thought.

There is nothing unique about the Reattas steering system. It is the same as other GM vehicles of the era - especially the E-body Riviera, Toronado, and Seville/Eldorado. Most parts interchange. Though the Reatta did come with the FE3 faster ratio power steering box, and a little firmer spring and strut tuning than the FE1 tuning that was standard in the other cars. (Grand Touring vs Dynaride in Buick marketing-speak.)

Guest PontiacDude210

If it was truly intermittent, there would be a good chance the steering wheel would be at a weird angle compared to where the car tracks. It should also be possible to replicate the conditions of failure.

Guest BobFitz

Here is the text of the description of the problem by the owners son-in-law:

"I drove the car down the road and the steering wheel went loose in my hand and just spun around freely. Sometimes it catches and you can steer otherwise the wheel spins freely. It could be something as simple as air in the rack and pinion or something wrong inside the rack and pinion I'm not sure."

Bob

Here is the text of the description of the problem by the owners son-in-law:

"I drove the car down the road and the steering wheel went loose in my hand and just spun around freely. Sometimes it catches and you can steer otherwise the wheel spins freely. It could be something as simple as air in the rack and pinion or something wrong inside the rack and pinion I'm not sure."

Bob

It's not possible for air in the rack & pinion to cause a condition where the steering wheel would spin freely. The fluid in the rack only supplies a power assist to reduce the effort required to turn the wheel. If the steering wheel is spinning free it is a mechanical problem. Not a hydraulic problem. It could be a bad connection between the steering shaft and the rack & pinion as others have said or it could be something broken in the rack & pinion. If you are considering buying this car you should be prepared to replace rack and/or the steering column.

Perhaps a couple of teeth on the rack have sheared off. When the pinion gear hits that spot, the steering wheel is allowed to spin freely. The rack then moves a bit and the pinion teeth reengage with the undamaged teeth on the rack. Or...

the pinion is allowed to back away from the rack, for whatever reason, temporarily disengaging from the rack. Maybe.

John F.

post-67519-143142998915_thumb.gif

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

Agree, with a rack and pinion (and the whole steering rack should be avaulable e.g. from Cardone for less than a Benjamin - get the three port. If you do not have the pressure sensor just plug it ) about all that can happen is stripped teeth (heard of but never seen) or a loose/missing bolt in the coupling. Just losing boost wil make it hard to turn but not spin freely.

Guest my3buicks

I'm sorry, there are enough good Reatta's out there that I would run away from this one. To me that just speaks volumes about the reliability, maintenance, and care of this particular vehicle. Who owns a car that would not take a car to the shop immediately if such a thing happened?

Guest BobFitz
I'm sorry, there are enough good Reatta's out there that I would run away from this one. To me that just speaks volumes about the reliability, maintenance, and care of this particular vehicle. Who owns a car that would not take a car to the shop immediately if such a thing happened?

I think that's what I am going to do with this one.

Thanks for all the useful info.

Bob