Can this gas tank be repaired?

Mutt's37Buick

I think you could repair it, but it would be a lot of work. I"ve seen radiator shops solder copper pennies onto holes like that. There is also a gas tank patch kit that I've seen in most auto parts stores--comes in a "blister pack" and you would probably need a few of them to do all of those holes. Since the holes are on the top of the tank, the chances of the patched holes developing a steady leak are pretty slim. This stuff that passes for gasoline these days, however, can eat through some things that you might try for patching, such as JB Weld (doesn't work on gas tanks, in my experience).

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Another alternative would be Belzona 1111 epoxy which you could fill the holes with or if it's too bad you can use it to bond a new plate over them. Has excellent resistance to most hydrocarbons but this stuff can be pricey too, but it does work when welding or other hot work is not an option or could be a little tricky.

http://www.belzona.com/ViewFile.aspx?id=52299

Guest 22Coupe

Yes, that gas tank can be repaired. The gas tank on my '22 coupe was terribly rusted inside and I went about cleaning out the heavy rust. Pin holes appeared when the tank did not leak before, but after removing rust they showed up. I ended up sending the tank to RENU for repair. They sandblast the inside and out and coated the inside with a red coating and the outside in a black coating. It is warranted for life or as long as you own it. Cost was $300 for a 10 gallon round tank. Turn around time was a week. Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Gary

Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions. I took the tank to a local radiator shop who cleans and repairs gas tanks. He said it could be done, but based on the amount of repair on the top and amount of gunk in the bottom, he recommended I go a new tank route. Looks like a new 72 Nova tank can be modified to work. As per your suggestions, the good thing about a new tank is I could have the inlet made at a muffler shop and I could MIG weld it in without concern of fire.