How do you buy your parts for restoration?

Guest NHPROEQUIP

In the good old days Hemmings Motor News was your friend for that type of information. Today the Internet gives you a lot more options for researching. A car club dedicated to the brand of vehicle you have can be of great assistance too.

well many years ago, it was mags like hemmings and old cars & parts, and a good swap meet every now and then, with an annual Pontiac car club convention if not too far away. but with the internet and ebay, it's a excellent swap meet everyday, right from my computer chair in the comforts of still being home. some people may hate sites like ebay, but it has made my search for those rare things to find so much easier to add to my 1953 Pontiac chieftain custom Catalina's project.

Charles L. Coker

1953 Pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci

Guest NHPROEQUIP

Thanks for your input Charles. I think Ebay is a great site. My guess is that's a good way to go - as you say, you can find those rare things so quickly.Though I'm wondering, do you find you like to see the parts in person before purchasing?

I will repeat what has already been said. The club for the brand of auto you are searching for parts for is your best resource. Join the club, get involved, attend meets, get to know other members, etc. You will find very quickly what parts are easy and what ones are difficult. You will also find out who has parts that they will sell. You will also find out those guys that don't normally sell and as time goes by, they too will become resources for parts. You won't pay e-ay prices and fees. It is a longer term way of doing things but it is also more satisfying and cost effective. I would also mention, that if you have space, don't hesitate to buy that parts car that comes up...soon YOU will be the parts supplier and inevitably, you will have something that the other guy needs.