LINOLEUM SOURCE

dibarlaw

Materials and Services<o:p></o:p>

I have asked the Mason-Dixon membership if they are knowing of material sources and services that can benefit the membership to please share with us. Particularly in my case of owning 1920s and 30s cars, finding services and materials can be a challenge. Buick friend Terry Wiegand recommended “battleshiplinoleum.com” as a source. I was wanting to redo my front floor boards with correct gray linoleum material instead of the pyramid rubber mat as was done when my 1925 was “fixed up” in the 1960s. I spoke with the owner Tony Lauria and he was very helpful and courteous. The material was reasonably priced and when ordered he made sure there was plenty of extra for trimming. The linoleum was cut and shipped quickly. He also provided exacting instructions as to installation and care. I know that many of the station wagons also used this material into the 1950s. Colors are available.<o:p></o:p>

Tony Lauria 511 Church Hill Road Landenburg, Pa. 19350

(610)-268-3441

Replaced warped floor boards with new T&G pinepost-79073-143142932228_thumb.jpg <o:p></o:p>

<v:shape id="Picture_x0020_3" style="width: 152.25pt; height: 87pt; visibility: visible; mso-wrap-style: square;" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1026"> <v:imagedata o:title="" src="file:///C:\Users\DiBarry\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image003.jpg"> </v:imagedata></v:shape>Also the special aluminum edging was only available from Restoration Supply in California. I had bought an 8’ length from them at their booth during the Fall Hershey meet (the last one on hand), then had to order another to finish the job. $25. S&H in a long cardboard tube. I thought I would see if they could only sell me a 4’length as that is what I calculated what was still needed. Only available in 8’lengths. I still needed an extra ½” to finish the last piece with no waste. So I have 47 ½”left over toward my next project. I am splicing the old BUICK mat pieces and adding a backing to use as a mat over top of the new linoleum. I remember someone in the 1960s was making Marque specific mats. So I thought that I should try to preserve this.<o:p></o:p>

post-79073-143142932215_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143142932223_thumb.jpg

Larry, That gray linoleum and aluminum edging looks outstanding! Makes a nice contrast, great job! Thanks for the info.

Do you know if the edged linoleum would be correct for a 1926 as well? Mine currently has a one piece black rubber ribbed mat over plywood.

I bought exactly the same stuff at a local floor covering store to do my 13 Buick Touring car. I found correct aluminum edging called bar edge molding from Home Depot. I had to cut down the flat side to match the floor thickness, but it fit & polished out perfectly too.

I did the floors and running boards for under $100 and have enough left over to re-do the running boards someday.

post-41092-143142932964_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143142932932_thumb.jpg

I bought exactly the same stuff at a local floor covering store to do my 13 Buick Touring car. I found correct aluminum edging called bar edge molding from Home Depot. I had to cut down the flat side to match the floor thickness, but it fit & polished out perfectly too.

I did the floors and running boards for under $100 and have enough left over to re-do the running boards someday.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]290727[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]290728[/ATTACH]

Mark,

your floor and running board looks great, but the grating to the left of the Pres-O-Lite tank - the last one I saw was mounted on thew outer edge of the running board, and facing outward to scrape mud off of the shoes. Wsa that incorrect?

I had tried many sources on line and at our local Lowes/Home depot stores and they had nothing even close to the profile. Or linoleum in all our local flooring stores required at least a 20 sg. foot minimum order, that was much more per square foot. Maybe the west coast has different suppliers.

Terry Wiegand has reminded me to also inform the group about Tony Lauria's caution about making sure the linoleum can stay warm prior to installation. If it is allowed to get cold it can snap when bent. I received my order the end of October rolled up in a 18"X18"X12" deep box. I let it sit in a warm room near the hot water heating radiator. After a day or so. I removed the precut pieces from the box and laid them out flat on the floor next to the radiator. There they sat for several days till I got around to making the new floor boards, (and when my wife complained). When warm, the linoleum is very easy to cut with a sharp utility knife. Final fitting and trimming was done after I glued the linoleum to the new floorboards. I left 1/16 overlap then trimmed with a small pocket/block plane. Creating a 45 degree bevel. Then fit the aluminum edging with some mitered corners. The only problem I had was when I tried to fit the side pieces near the left and right door sills and cowl. By that time in late November we were having temps in the upper 20s. I thought it no issue since all I had to do was fit these pieces around the aluminum bound floorboards. Which all work on these were done in my nice warm basement. My razor sharp pocket block plane was having a tough go of it doing the final contours in my now cold garage. I will get around to replacing the running board mat in the spring when warmer. In the meantime these pieces are snug and laying flat under my warm bed!

Larry

Marty,

The "Grating" you saw is what Buick calls a "side apron scuff plate" which is there to prevent damage to the "side apron" (sheet metal between the body & running board). Some later model cars had square step plates with rubber or coco mat centers that extended over the edge of the running board.

Some of those step plates had a mud scraper as shown in the photo below.

post-41092-143142933978_thumb.jpg

Mark,

Thank you for the clarification. Obviously the one I referenced was incorrectly placed, and your explanation makes perfect sense now that I take a better look.

So, the "side apron scuff plate" works like the brass "kick-plate" at the lower portion of a home's entry door - a good idea.

hidden:

I believe they still had linoleum on the open cars but closed cars had carpet. Anyone else to help clarify when Buick changed to a rubber front mat?

Larry

the back carpet appears to be original (especially on the back of the drivers seat) but it's possible that it's a Holden thing

All the touring cars are to have rear carpet and that kick pad carpet on the back of the seat. I still have to install some on the back of my front seat. The two photos are of Leif's 1925-25 rear seat floor.

post-79073-143142934747_thumb.jpgOh, by the way, I am still searching for the correct robe rail for my 1925-25. Any sightings?

post-79073-143142934744_thumb.jpg