Stuck Clutch on 1923 Dort

ollinger123

I have a 1923 Dort which the clutch will not disengage from the transmission despitehaving the clutch plates separated. The photo describes the issue: The Flywheel Drive Pin (1) drives the Clutch Plates (2). The Middle Clutch Plate slides onthe three Clutch Pins (3) - which connects the front and back of the pressureplates. Because all three are connected the whole housing turns nomatter if the clutch is engaged or disengaged. All the clutch plates move freely between the pressure plates. I've also tried freeing the clutch by applying the brakes with the clutch engaged with the back wheels elevated. Note: the vehicle last run 30 yrs ago and mice did build a next inside the flywheel housing - which I've cleaned. Any input would be really helpful, Thanks!

post-105500-143142916883_thumb.jpg

<v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"> </v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:formulas><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"> </v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:formulas> <v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"> <o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:path></v:stroke></v:shapetype><v:shape id="Picture_x0020_6" style="width: 361.5pt; height: 267pt;" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"> <v:imagedata o:href="cid:image025.jpg@01D0268C.6A20DD40" src="file:///C:\Users\JOLLIN~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape> <v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"> <o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:path></v:stroke></v:shapetype><v:shape id="Picture_x0020_6" style="width: 361.5pt; height: 267pt;" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"> <v:imagedata o:href="cid:image025.jpg@01D0268C.6A20DD40" src="file:///C:\Users\JOLLIN~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

Although I am not familiar with that particular design, I will offer the obvious. The transmission input shaft must be free to spin independent of the flywheel to disengage the transmission. Could the input shaft be stuck in the flywheel bearing or bore?

If there were mice in there it will probably require dismantling. Mouse urine is very corrosive and the little *%*$*#*# pee constantly. I wouldn't be surprised if the input shaft to the transmission is throughly corroded into the flywheel and even if you break it loose the bushing or bearing that supports the flywheel end will be ruined if you try running it. Its probably ruined in any case and will have to be replaced.

Sorry to hear but been there, doing that!

I purchased a complete 1928 Whippet motor with trany attached this August and while things turned over by hand crank, the clutch foot pedal was frozen solid.

You will probably have to dismantle the trany / clutch housing from the engine as, like mine, it is stuck on the shaft and the flywheel bearing.

post-36036-143142919257_thumb.jpg Did this look like yours?

It took a lot of jerking, light taping, soaking of PB Blaster and perseverance before I finally got to this point.

post-36036-143142919263_thumb.jpg

Once off you can see how things really look.

post-36036-143142919267_thumb.jpg

Since I'm concentrating on the motor right now just did a general cleaning of the housing and sprayed down with oil for storing.

Here is how that shaft looks like on the flywheel. No wonder things stick after mice condos have been built!

post-36036-143142919334_thumb.jpg

Amazing how that smell just hangs in there?????:P

Good luck with yours.

Sorry to hear but been there, doing that!

I purchased a complete 1928 Whippet motor with trany attached this August and while things turned over by hand crank, the clutch foot pedal was frozen solid.

You will probably have to dismantle the trany / clutch housing from the engine as, like mine, it is stuck on the shaft and the flywheel bearing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]289396[/ATTACH] Did this look like yours?

It took a lot of jerking, light taping, soaking of PB Blaster and perseverance before I finally got to this point.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]289397[/ATTACH]

Once off you can see how things really look.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]289398[/ATTACH]

Since I'm concentrating on the motor right now just did a general cleaning of the housing and sprayed down with oil for storing.

Here is how that shaft looks like on the flywheel. No wonder things stick after mice condos have been built!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]289414[/ATTACH]

Amazing how that smell just hangs in there?????:P

Good luck with yours.

Thanks for the advise, I'll just have to pull the clutch apart from the transmission to see what's hung up.

You might try posting this question on the Durant Motors Automobile Club Forum also located at www.durantmotors.com. There are a number of Dort owners there and the club serves this make also.

Thank You and to everyone who posed a reply. I was able to find out the information I needed from another Dort owner. It turns out I had several clutch plates that were fused together due to mouse urine while in storage for 30 years. I never would have been able to find this out on my own.

Glad you were able to get direction.

Isn't the technology we have today and this Forum a wonderful thing?! 20 years ago it would have taken so much longer to connect with someone or find manuals etc. to gather this info.

Keep us posted of your progress.