Question from New Buick Owner

Guest Frances1988

Guest Frances1988

Hi everyone,

So, I’ve just recently purchased my dream car – a 1955 Buick Roadmaster. The fuel tank has a leak and I took it to my mechanics, who work on vintage cars as well as commuter cars. They told me that I could either restore the tank for $800-$1000 or buy a used tank to put it – and then they told me I had to find the tank itself. First, is this typical when dealing with antique autos? Second, should I restore or buy another? Third, I’ve looked for this part all over the web and called various stores with little success, does anyone have a good vintage auto part dealer to recommend?

I’ve had the feeling that my mechanic doesn’t want to work on my car (when I first bought it, it needed brakes and whitewalls, which took close to two months to get with numerous phone calls. Should I switch mechanics or is this typical?

Anyway, I look forward to meeting all of you!

Hi Frances. Sounds like you are happy with your purchase of a 55 Roadmaster. They are usually terrific cars. And as is often the case, they need some work practically all the time. But the questions you asked are difficult to answer.

The easier question is repair or replace your gas tank. A solid tank that has just a leak or a dent can be repaired through the Gas Tank Renu process. I had my 56 tank done over 10 years ago and am still very happy with it. But it is not cheap. It can easily cost several hundred for this process which results in a useable tank. There are several do it yourself products to seal a gas tank. While costing less they may , or may not, fix the leak and or stay on the surface of the metal. Those who have done the process successfully had indicated that they followed the instructions to the letter and maybe even went a bit over board in terms of drying time for the various ingredients used. In either case there is still the cost to remove and replace the tank itself, which is another variable depending on the condition of the undercarriage of your car. So the Mechanics estimate may be within the range of a good deal. Or it could be way overboard. We can't possibly tell.

As to the tire situation, and your mechanics wanting to work on your car, that is another wide variable. Sourcing things on the internet today is an exercise in instant gratification. But finding parts for a 55 Buick will not generally be that way. Without passing any judgement on the Mechanics involved, I can easily see a problem sourcing wide white walls as they are generally only available from a limited number of vendors. Then depending on what you ordered, the difficulty compounds. There are several threads here about tires, which I won't rehash, but to help answer the question about your mechanics there is one thing that I suggest. Take your car to a tire store and ask them to find and tell you the date manufactured. The code should be on the inside sidewall of the new tires. If the tires are radials and the code shows them to be manufactured within the past 12 months then I say keep those mechanics around. And that is assuming you plan to use mechanics to do all your work in the future.

Either way, welcome to this forum and to the world of classic Buicks

I suggest you call these guys to see if a Chevy Tank will fit with minor modifications.

[h=1]

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/14205/Chevrolet_Gas_Tank_Steel_16_Gallon_Original_Style_Except.html

[/h] [TABLE=width: 300, align: center]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=width: 80, align: right][/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

<form name="buy" action="/Cart/cart.lasso" method="post"> 3702862S.jpg

[h=1]Gas Tank -Steel, 16 Gallon. Original Style (Except Wagon & Sedan Delivery)[/h] Item # 3702862S 53-54

Weighs 104.780lbs.

Here's a die stamped steel 16 gallon gas tank like original. Fits cars (excluding Wagon & Sedan Delivery). It has a 3/8 inch pickup tube with a reducer to 5/16 inch. Works for either 6 or 8 cylinder engines. (not for station wagon or sedan delivery). The tanks measures 29 inches x 21 inches x 8 inches tall. Tank straps and sending unit not included. *NOTE* Comes painted silver (image shows bare steel).

This part fits most 1953 1954 Chevrolet Cars; exceptions may apply. Please read the complete description to see if this part fits your specific vehicle and application.

</form>

Guest Frances1988

Wow - thanks everyone so much for the advice, help, and links :-) I see that I'm going to love this community.

I want to work on it - and eventually intend to do all my own work, but the timing is just bad. Working 60 hours a week plus going to grad school at night while trying to finish up a novel. That forces me to go to a mechanic for now . . . I have to admit, there is a part of me that really wants to make my Buick into a show car . . . that's why I am tempted to go all original. I have a friend who has several cars and even the nuts and bolts of the car are original. Everything. I'd like to have one that is at least that way and mine came all-original from the beginning, so it sort of gives me a head start. Don't get me started about the rust on the tailfins that I haven't dealt with yet though . . . I don't want to think about that.

Www.bobsautomobilia.com has reproduction tanks. The only thing I don't like is that it has a rubber tube that connects the filler tube to the tank. It is a fine way of doing it, I just don't like the way it looks from underneath. The way around that is to solder the old filler to the new tank.

I wish you were closer, there is a guy in Austin who knows 55's inside and out and has only once complained about parts availability ;).

PM me and I'll send you some parts info.

Welcome. I installed a tank from Bob's a year ago and used the rubber and clamps. My car is a driver and I'm not too worried about how original it looks. I still have the old neck from the original tank just in case. New tank is definitely the way to go.

Mechanic wise, you have someone to help you if you cannot fix it yourself, but purchase a shop manual and read it! You will surprise yourself and we are here to assist in any way we can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk