Experimental Carb Doohickey???

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

So I recently started volunteering at the Buick Gallery in Flint, MI. Having a great time working on a '53 Skylark with Jacob Gilbert, the head of restoration at the gallery. One of the best parts about working there is seeing all of the stuff behind the scenes that is not on display. I spent a good bit of time looking over a 263 straight eight display piece that was donated to the museum by GM. Tried to get them to let me take it home and put it in my living room but no luck on that front so far. :P I noticed a very strange looking device attached to the carburetor. I asked about it and was told that it might be some kind of experimental device but they're not sure. They've never noticed it being there. It attaches to one of the bolts on the carb and there is a hole drilled in the carb that one copper line goes into. The other line is cut with no evidence as to where it went. Anyone know what this is?

post-75106-143142709154_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142709161_thumb.jpg

When I was a kid riding schools buses in the 1950's, virtually every school bus I can remember had one. I cannot remember any issues with the Southwind heaters at all.

At that time, kids getting on the bus would sit as near to the front as they could, as the Southwind heater was for the driver.

Probably today, some do gooder will rewrite history having lots of burned vehicles, etc., but as I mentioned earlier, no issues of which I am aware.

Jon.

Guest shadetree77

Thanks guys! Very interesting. I'll let the museum know what they have there. Can't help but wonder what that heater was doing hooked up to a GM display piece???