Does anyone know where I can get a brake booster for a 1975 IH model 500 truck?

auburnseeker

Have you tried your local auto parts store? It should be a cinch to get a new or rebuilt. NAPA is good on old parts as a rule. If there is a faded, dusty old parts store with an old gray haired or bald headed grouch behind the counter, that is the place to go for old or unusual parts. The kind of place farmers go to get parts for their tractors.

Some years back I had a similar problem with a 1951 Chrysler power brake booster. They had to send my old one out to be rebuilt but they got it. Yours should be easier to get than that.

The only International 500 I know of is a crawler tractor. There were a few large trucks that were 5000's but any International truck parts store should have a way of ordering a booster for one of those. Are you sure of the 500 designation? Here is a pic of a International Paystar 5000. Not sure of the year but they changed very little.

http://motoburg.com/images/international-paystar-5000-06.jpg

Edited by Fleek (see edit history)

I just looked and couldn't find anything about that model either. I'll have to double check with the owner. He said it says model 500 on the door. Maybe that is a manufacturers sub series number.

He did try NAPA. No luck. He also sent it out to a place in Texas and they said they couldn't do it.

I just looked and couldn't find anything about that model either..

When you compare the models it seems like the 200 is a small truck (kind of like an older Datsun) then when you get up into the 5000 models they are huge like a semi. My guess is his truck is around a 3/4 or a 1 ton, does that sound about right ?

You need to get the model number and serial number off the ID plate. I don't know where that is, but your International dealer will, or you could do a web search.

On that type vehicle you need MODEL, MAKE, YEAR, and SERIAL NUMBER. There were so many possible options each truck was practically custom built.

Guest Gary Hearn

It is probably a 1500, the largest truck in the IH lineup before you jumped to the Loadstar series. I had a '72 1500 4x4 that I sold about 4 years ago. It is a 1.5 ton model.

Guest Commodore

In 1975 the models were the 100, 150, 200, or 500 depending on the weight rating. If it is a 150 A-1 Cardone sells a rebuild under part number 5473113 and Centric has a rebuild under 16080313. See photo.

5473113-01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I finally got more information. The truck is a 1974 according to the tag and build date model 500. A google search turns up that model. I actually have the booster as well which I'll try to post pictures of. I checked ebay and there are a couple that are similar but not quite the same. I don't remember the manufacture off hand but it's not Bendix.

Checked on the IH trucks today on the lot but no luck. He has a 1963 1969 and 71 I'm guessing... The only one I found that had a tag was a 1100 the 63 was the only one with a brake booster. Sorry I couldn't help.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out for me. I'll try to remember to take my camera to the shop today to get photos of the booster and tag. Boy it sure will be nice when I get a shop on the same property as the house.