Mystery Highwheeler(?)

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Hmmm. I'm still not convinced it's an IHC. Doesn't look like a REO either. Maybe just some mash-up of Model T and an obscure delivery truck.

I do not remember any of the pics of early IHC trucks showing a radiator in such a distinctive way? I was thinking maybe Garford, but I could not find an image to support very well as most of the Garford pics are not hard rubber tires, and or are heavier vehicles. The truck Nancy pictures seems to me to be a very light truck (as many of the early heavy haulers were3 or 5 ton! Its length makes it seem large. Also, anybody know what that is below the drivers seat. It looks like a bundle of 1/2 pipe or something??? HAPPY NEW YEARS! I would guess the pictured truck to be about a 1 - 2 ton. Here is link of a larger Garford truck.

http://www.armyvehicles.dk/garford1916.htm

Edited by prs519
addition (see edit history)

Jeffrey's had the flat board in front with a radiator. But they were 4WDs.

I can imagine a T rad would have been a cheap and handy replacement for any water cooled engine.

Commercials & trucks were probably custom built/ordered then as they are today.

Manuel in Oz

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Manuel,

Can you believe Fairbanks had five Jeffrey Quads in 1915? One and a half are out in Eagle, Alaska, where the local historical society restored one to running condition:

post-58418-143138787855_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I was born in Anchorage in 1953 and lived there for 35 years. It was something of an Alaskan tradition to scavenge any variety of parts from various vehicles in order to keep something running, especially for people living out in the bush, so it would not be surprise me to see a Model T radiator on a non-Ford product.

Thanks,