16-inch artillary wheels

West Peterson

Guest DeSoto Frank

All Chevy cars & 1/2-ton trucks had 6-lug wheels through '48.

There was a six-lug 16" artillery wheel for Chevy in '36.

Chevy and GMC continued to use this style wheel into the 1940's on some trucks, usually the 3/4-ton. Some of these artillery wheels were 15 ".

MoPar did not have six-lug wheels.

GM last used this style artillery wheel in '36 on passenger cars.

Guest prof pat

Yes 1936 chevrolet 1/2 ton truck, wire wheels were an option, but they came standard with the 16 inch wheels, on the second issue low cab unit.

Guest Bob Call

My uncle and a neighbor both had 36 Chevys and these are 36 Chevy wheels. Until Chevy switched to 15 inch wheels in the 50', if you wanted 15 inch wheels on your stovebolt hot rod the only choice was the '36 15 inchers.

As far as I know, all 36 Chevrolets came with 17" rims--both standard and master series and 1/2 ton trucks. The difference was that Master had 6 lugs with a large hubcap, the standard 5 lugs with a smaller hubcap. The master also could be had with a 17" 6 lug wire spoked wheel and the standard had an accessory 5- lug 17" wire spoked wheel available (these are kind of rare). My 36 standard has the 17" artillery wheels.

The Mullins Mfg Co in Salem OH built 3,000 RED CAP utility trailers using the 1936 Chevrolet 17" wheel and were painted "Admiral Moffitt Gun Metal", gray. When you ordered a trailer, they would paint it the color of your car and install wheels to match. This would allow you to use your car spare on the trailer. The green color photo was used in magazine ads of the period. The black trailer has wood wheel from a 1931 tow car.

post-41405-143138143776_thumb.jpg

post-41405-143138143778_thumb.jpg