Henry Austin Clark Jr. Auto Collection?

Hi Nancy and all,,,Hope i can help,,but this area could be problems,,,as my recollection is going to predate a lot,,,,,Who has the VIM truck,,,it is [ was] thought that there was only one left,,,I hve always wonderd where it went,,the spot where it was in CANESSA's Junk yard AYER <mass,,[home ft="" devens]]was="" bare,in="" spring??="" along="" fence="" you="" enterd,,,and="" next="" spot="" mack="" pup,,,the="" stand="" by,,wilson="" s="" yard,concord,ma,="" ,,had="" no="" starter,,never="" did,,,but="" hay="" lumber="" deliverd="" all="" war,,,so="" think="" 1948--49,,someone="" said="" someone="" from="" new="" york="" bought="" ,,,er,,,em,,,likely="" story,,,ive="" em="" all,,,,it="" screen="" side="" delivery="" body,,,bear="" mind="" 13="" time,,,,but="" still="" saving="" car,,my="" 4cyl="" dodge="" fine="" woods="" roads,,,[no="" body="" farm="" wagon="" an="" extea="" gas="" cupon="" during="" later="" now="" lets="" see,,hurtel,,,havent="" about="" while,,,there="" could="" be="" 2="" or="" 3,,,parts="" pulled="" town="" dump,,,town="" where="" made,,haha,,,seems="" heard="" overseas,,,did="" baer="" research="" this,,,,e="" m="" me="" ,,,there="" is="" man="" alive="" worked="" w="" h,chauncey="" wing="" machine="" shop,,1907="" mercedes,,,yes="" real="" seventy,,,,these="" things="" that="" leagends="" are="" made="" of,,,there="" ri="" also,,its="" on="" vmcca="" anglo="" am="" tour="" booklet,,on="" club="" ,com="" thing,,,,they="" trouble="" with="" how="" lube="" clutch,,it="" grabb="" d="" tore="" out="" several="" valve="" stems,,="" slipped="" wheel="" inside="" tire,,,this="" around="" 1948--49="" joe="" knowles="" talked="" this="" visited,,,this="" when="" my="" transport="" pope="" columbia="" 1speed="" bike!!!="" found="" drive="" spring="" anyone="" missing="" spring???="" by="" 1951="" henry="" [jr]="" restored="" beautiful="" clement="" bayard,,,,,there="" 1cyl="" olds,,,the="" had="" deep="" luster,,,a="" luster="" we="" were="" not="" see="" again="" till="" invention="" candy--apple,,,,this="" paint="" vernish="" george="" green,,lambertville="" nj,,,it="" also="" idled="" under="" 70="" rpm,,,this="" at="" fall="" meet="" of="" major="" guyette,,peterborough="" nh,,="" majors="" cars="" disapperd="" also,,,not="" one="" restored,,,oh="" yes,,,whose="" got="" dedion,,that="" a="" barn="" in="" woburn,,,,,next="" bleriott="" airplane,,,metz="" going="" use="" it="" as="" pattern="" and="" sell="" planes,,that="" was="" the="" old="" paris-madrid="" racer="" i="" think,,,,thats="" enough="" to="" get="" off="" thred,,,,ill="" try="" for="" more="" later,,,,ben[="" quote]="">

Ben - The Collings Foundation (Stow, MA) now owns that truck, so it is back close to where it started out.

</mass,,[home>

post-65643-143138529673_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest li41chevy
I do remember a rather large, double decker bus in a corner of the museum's "back yard." It was in a rather sad state, with rotted tires, missing windows, etc., and it sure didn't look drivable. Clark also had a "Seven Santini Bros." moving van, which seemed to be a very static display, as well as a number of other sleeping giants. I'd guess that transporting such behemoths out of there after the museum closed was an enormously expensive undertaking. How I miss that wonderful place.

Bob

Found this thread looking for more info on Austin. The N.Y.C. double decker bus sat for many ,many year at a masonary supply yard on the south side of Rte 110, just north of Republic Aircraft. It just disappeared whrn the yard was redone a few years ago.

Guest li41chevy
I've always wondered where Austies money came from. Some say suger others corn flakes but what is the truth??

A recent article in Hemmings Classic Car says his father was the treasurer for Jack Frost Sugar in Cuba. I worked for the Pratt ( SOCONY and other oil related monies) in Glen Cove, they often sppoke of the Clarkes as Sugar barons. Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Guest donald190

Hi everyone, been awhile but been busy. See post #70 and click on Harry S. Harkness. His Steinway Piano is completed and restored to an amazing perfection. Alot of people were involved and it was fun learning about Harry and researching the instrument for others.:)

The "Seven Santini Brothers"moving van is now totally restored and part of the Horsellss Carriant Transportation fleet in Patterson, N.J. i had shown at Hershey many times. great looking truck. :)

Clark also had a "Seven Santini Bros." moving van, which seemed to be a very static display, as well as a number of other sleeping giants. I'd guess that transporting such behemoths out of there after the museum closed was an enormously expensive undertaking. How I miss that wonderful place.

Bob

Austie told me that a distant family relation owned the Stebbins House on Main Street here in Ridgefield. The house was part of the barricade Patriots used to slow the 2,200 British troops returning to their ships anchored in Westport, April 27, 1777. The house was riddled with musket ball and cannon shot. It was torn down in 1892, but a door is on display in the Historical Society. Ridgefield Discovery Center - Benjamin Stebbins

I've always wondered where Austies money came from. Some say suger others corn flakes but what is the truth??
Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
Guest Ready-Set-Go

I want to thank you all for this thread about Mr. Clark. It is very interesting and informative. I wonder if any of you know about the Carnival of Cars Auto Museum which was located on Times Square in New York. I just happen to have an auction flyer from Henry Austin Clark, Jr. announcing an auction of the surplus and duplicates. It is dated August 20, 1955.

The 8 page long flyer includes the purpose of the sale, terms of the sale, special arrangements and a listing of 53 vehicles up for sale. The descriptions are humorous and some even indicate the previous owners.

Here is an example from the flyer:

"3.---1901 Locomobile Steam Stanhope,

The standard pattern Loco with side tiller steering. Unrestored and rough on the outside, but no plumber's helper has been loose on this one. Complete and all hooked up the way it should be. Needs 28x3 clincher rims for wire wheels, and in fact wheels too. One broken. A good cabinetmaker/steam fitter could make a going tea kettle out of her."

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Thank You,

Ready-Set-Go

The Carnival of Cars closed on March 1, 1955. It must have cost a fortune to construct since the floors were lowered to allow room for the cars. I'd really like to have a xerox copy of the car auction list. Tracing cars from the early collectors is a hobby of mine. Clark, Peck, Melton, Rockafeller, and Bill Harrah all owned many of the same cars at one point.

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping one of Clark's old friends can help me with this. It seems I remember Alec Ulmann and Austin discussing one of their old friends with the nickname of "Bunny." Does that name ring a bell with anyone? He could have been an old racing mechanic on old cars or early 1960s Grand Prix cars, or a collector, or ???

GREAT and quick help here! :) That is certainly it. That is certainly the "Bunny" that they were always talking about. The name came up so often in conversations between Austie, Alec and Jim Mc Gee, (Out in Jim's old shop in Water Mill, which looked like "Stone Age" Equip, but wan't much he could not make from scratch to repair or restore exotic vintage engines. But it was WAAAY in the back of my mind.

I had found several dozen color slides, in a box from Alec, that was marked "1962 U.S.Grand Prix "Bunnys. Amazing close ups and track shots, from some one who obviously had full priveleges in the pits... candid shots including, John Surtees,

Graham Hill, Dan Gurney, Jack Brabham, Richie Ginther, Bruce McLaren, and Innes

Ireland, and other leeser known drivers, with some cool detail shots of cars & engines.

• 1 month later...
Guest Nancy DeWitt

Received an e-mail today from a man in Kreuztal, Germany who informed me that he owns a black 1929 Lincoln phaeton that was once in the Long Island Auto Museum. He purchased it in Toronto 12-15 years ago, had it restored, shipped it to Germany and used it on many rallies.

Guest raprice

I don't know what profession Austin was trained in, but my understanding is that the last paying job he held was as a Naval officer in WWII. I read this in an article written by Beverly Rae Kimes in Automobile Quarterly a number of years ago.

Rog

Yes, he was in OSS operations in England during WWII.

I don't know what profession Austin was trained in, but my understanding is that the last paying job he held was as a Naval officer in WWII. I read this in an article written by Beverly Rae Kimes in Automobile Quarterly a number of years ago.

Rog

Guest TraderVick

I am happy to stumble upon this forum!! I was born in Southampton, and my grandmother was the front office manger / receptionist at the L.I. Auto museum. My mom worked full time , so my sister and I had to go with my Grandmother to work, all day, every day, at the museum, during the summer (seasonal town, so, closed in the winter). I had nothing to do so I wandered among the cars and fire trucks all day. The Thomas Flyer was in original, "end of race condition", and surrounded by a huge sort of diorama shell, with pictures that lit up from the famous race it won. (I remember feeling so bad about Harras restoring it, seemed a crime to me :) I rode the fire tucks and other cars Mr Clark was working on all the time, through the dirt roads in the back for testing. I read every sign about every car over and over (bored kid). I spent my day crawling in under around and through every car and truck, Bugatti's, Mercer's, Packards, Pierce Arrow's, Electric Cars, Simplex, La France, etc., and a Stanley Steamer (my favorite at the time). I still have souvenir's and Matchbox antique cars my Grandmother sold at the front counter, that didn't sell, at end of season,they gave me. I rode in the fire trucks in the 4th of July parades and had the enviable position of turning the crank that made the siren wail, every so often. (wonder why I'm a car buff, hmmm... ). Mr Clark (too young to call him Austie) was like family. Only now do I realize how special that all that was.

Guest TraderVick

Wow, really-nice video, had NOT seen it.. a big thanks! I just watched it again with my mom,who loved the trip down memory lane. She told me she and my grandmother were in some movie , using the cars Austie provided, (he may have funded/made the movie), don't know the name, mom sent me one of the stills. I wonder if the Walter McCarthy who made it video available to youtube, is related to the Herb McCarthy of 'Bowden Square' fame in Southampton. I'll try and find and post a photo of a cool one-off custom car, made for a wealthy guy, to use as a sort of an open air "transport-to&from-the-beach-or-yacht" tender. Austie drove it over to our house at mom's wedding to my stepfather, and we all posed for pictures in it. Never heard of it since.

Edited by TraderVick (see edit history)

TraderV, it's painfully obvious (but I've sort of known for a while now), that I have too much stuff!

Like this eponymous lighter from the eatery you mentioned, picked up somewhere long ago...

herb_mccarthys_southampton.jpg

I spent a few summers in Southampton back in the Ra-Ra Mid-'80's, and dined at Bowden Square

once or twice. Sadly, my only connection to the L.I. Auto Museum was seeing the then-closed,

forlorn quonset building on my first and all subsequent trips out there. How cool it must have been

back in the day!

(BTW, you'll be surprized what pops up when you Google "Herb McCarthy's Bowden Square").

TG

I don't know if "Wally" McCarthy is related to the restaurant or not, but he's a Simplex owner as was Austie. Years ago he drove his B Model Mack to a tour here in town with his Simplex, Austie's and another from Long Island. If I took a photo it has been long ago misplaced. Thanks for joining the chat Trader Vick, I was about 12 years old on my one and only visit the the Clark collection in the early 1960's. Bob

Guest TraderVick

TG57Roadmaster, can't believe you produced that lighter off the bat like that, nice! As a kid, going to that restaurant with parents now and then was so cool, it seemed such a "grown up" place to go, (we had to dress up). Thanks also to 1937hd45 Bob, for saying "Thanks for joining the chat Trader Vick", I have never been in any forum or "thread" before, kind of nice. In the video of Austies museum, there was a child size yellow car kids were driving in. I LOVED that car, it was not a cheap toy either, it was more like a real, but miniature automobile, well made, with all the quality of the 'big' cars, but just my size. I was in it as often as I could get away with, how amazingly cool to see it again, my words can not express. I hope it is a jewel of someone's collection.

I watched the video again, that little yellow car sure is a neat piece, I'm sure it is still out there somewere. The last car in the video,the green Locomobile was ownen by Alex Stein of Byram Ct. who was quite the Locomobile expert. It was in the Greenwich Concourse auction this summer. I often think about the cars that have been in the hobby for 60+ years and their owners and the people that were effected by seeing them. a "Were are they Now" feature here or in Antique Automobile would be an interesting read IMO. Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Here at the top is one of the postcards. On the back it says "From the collection of Briggs Cunningham , color photo by the Long Island Auto Museum" etc.

The lower picture of the Bauer Duesenberg on another postcard is from a second also missed museum of the past, Pettit's Museum of Motoring Memories, of Natural Bridge Virginia. It formerly owned the car.

post-54604-143138762618_thumb.jpg

Guest 31 Ford Roadster

TraderVic, The movie your Mother and Grandmother were in may have been 50 Years of Automotive Progress, completed in the late '50s using Austie's cars. I've attached a link for the YouTube version.