B or S 54-56 Convertible Frame "rivets"

Guest kevinshea

Guest kevinshea

I need to find or make the rivets (see image) that hold various pieces of the convertible frame together. Before I make up a batch, I want to find out if there is a source.

If there is no source I will have a batch made up and will include anyone else who needs a set or a few replacements.

These rivets are the same 54-56 buick, olds and caddy, I know since I have removed a few from each model. The lengths are also slightly different, I see three different lengths. These are inserted in the hole and then star peined to secure.

post-39395-143137927052_thumb.jpg

rivet.jpg

Kevin

I had the same problem a few years ago on my 55 CVT. The cost of duplicating the rivet with the propper shoulder and then find a way to star peen was too much.

After removing the old rivets I drilled and tapped the arm that the rivet is seated into to 3/8-24. I had a machine shop produce the required number of the above pictured "rivet" in stainless steel. To install just use the slot to screw it in to the propper depth for smooth operation and use Lok-Tite to secure...the slot (or start peen) cannot be seen when everything is assembled anyhow.

The heads of the "rivets" were rough finished as above. To get a the propper finish I chucked it in a drill and with the drill and bench grinder turning, the head was ground to the propper contour; then a fine file was used on the turning head followed by increasingly finer grits of wet/dry sandpaper down to 400 grit followed by turning the head into stainless buffing wheels (Eastwood) resulting in a mirror finish.

Hint drill and tap before getting the arms chromed, then all you have to do is 'chase' the threads before assembly.

Willie

Kevin

I have done this a few times now and we machine rivets in stainless, we have found out that they are all different sizes. Therefore it is important to mark where the rivet came from and to keep all of them separate. Then we get the proper brass washers and assemble everything. We actually machine a die to make the star pattern on the rivet. It is time consuming and costs a few hundred dollars per car, but the end results are fantastic. We are going to do another set for a 55 Super soon and may be able to help you do yours.

Steve

Guest kevinshea

Does anybody know where to get the other SS slotted head, threaded bolts that tie some of the main pieces together?

Kevin

I bought a kit from one of the 55-56-57 Chevy suppliers...I think it was C&P. It had most of what is required to rebuild including the slotted head screws that you need (except for the rivet that we have been discussing).

Just don't tell them that you are going to use it on a Buick! Answers to questions and a friendly attitude will stop abruptly.

Willie

Guest kevinshea

Do either of you have the C&P Part # for the bolts -- I looked at the catalog and only see one kit -- "hardware kit" for $145 (!) . not looking at the frame I think there are only 6 (maybe 8) chrome/SS slotted bolts total.