1950 Buick Show Car

Charles D. Barnette

In 1950, Buick produced a Riviera (2 door hardtop) Show Car painted salmon (at least gave off a salmon hue) with broadtail and dainty pink interior. The car was basically stock with a special interior. Does anyone have any knowledge of this car such as an exotic name assigned by Buik to the car for show and such as the history and current whereabouts? Thanks, Charles D. Barnette

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...
Guest my3buicks

That could very well be the car Charles was talking about - Charles passed away in June of 2011, the thread you posted on is from 2006

This sounds like one for Bob Coker to follow-up.

michaelmis, you may or may not be aware that Charles, the originator of this post, has been instrumental in locating several special factory built Buicks. Unfortunately, he passed away nearly one year ago.

Would it not be quite a story, if this car were found now.

John

I just noticed, Keith responded just before me.

JDS

John F. Kennedy Assignation Attempt.

December 11, 1960: While vacationing in Palm Beach, Florida, President-elect John F. Kennedy's life was threatened by Richard Paul Pavlick, a 73-year-old former postal worker. Pavlick's plan was to serve as a suicide bomber by crashing his dynamite-laden 1950 Buick into Kennedy's vehicle, but the plan was disrupted when Pavlick saw Kennedy's wife and daughter bidding him goodbye.[14] That attack of conscience foiled the opportunity, with Pavlick's arrest by the Secret Service coming three days later after he was stopped for a driving violation, with the dynamite still in his car. Pavlick spent the next six years in both federal prison and mental institutions before being released in December 1966.

List of United States presidential assassination attempts and plots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Historic Palm Beach – brought to you by the Palm Beach Post Kennedy almost slain in Palm Beach

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48473Lego Buick Buck Teeth

Edited by michaelmis (see edit history)

The Milwaukee Journal - Google News Archive Search

Milwaukee Journal article about Motorama and the bright colours on offer.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=SIgtAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mJwFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5716,4214729&dq=1950+buick+show+car+-pay-per-view+-classified&hl=en

Second article detailing the finish on the Pink show car

Edited by michaelmis (see edit history)

No problem, as i see it is listed as a Riviera, but it sure looks like a 4 door "post" car. From the photobucket, I am not sure how old this listing is, but I see you had written a comment to the owner. It sure would be interesting to know more, as that looks like the color, but might have been a repaint. If you can provide more info, maybe someone in FL on this forum can get a batter look. If you want you can e-mail me separately at j.scheib@comcast.net

John

Guest my3buicks

Looking at the picture of the coupe in front of the building, one would have to wonder if this picture actually dated clear back t0 1950.

post-30591-143138833148_thumb.jpg

I am loking at the standard catalob of Buick, 1991 Edition, and this it what it indicates. I am assuming the R designation is for Riviera.

1949 9first year for that name, I believe) as riviera did not be come a model until the 60s.

Special - no R models

Super - no R models

Roadmaster -76R as 2 door hardtop - 4314 produced

Special - no R models, no 2dr hardtops listed

Super -56R - hardtop 2 dr coupe -56,000 produced

Roadmaster - 75R - Body style 50-4737 - HT coupe - 6 pass - 2300 produced

Roadmaster - 72R - Body style - 50-4737X - 4dr. sedan -6 pass - production number not indicated, but indication they were included in the 51,212 of the Model 72, tghe Regular Body style 50- 4719 of 51,212 units.

Roadmaster 76R Body style - 50-4737X - Hard top coupe - 6 passanger - 8432 produced

(Hard to coupe suggests 2 doors).

I think I read that all Riviera 2 door hardtops had leather seats, so the mystery continues. Where is the "show car"?

John

I will be anxious to see what you learn. In the meantime, I am trying to figure out where these cars you posted in #10 were being sold. I checked the usual areas and they must have been removed or sold. Other than the photobucket, which has no info on the seller or price, I cannot track them down. Perhaps that is a Riviera Sedan of which there may not be many. michaelmis, or anyone, do you have any idea from where they came?

John

I will be anxious to see what you learn. In the meantime, I am trying to figure out where these cars you posted in #10 were being sold. I checked the usual areas and they must have been removed or sold. Other than the photobucket, which has no info on the seller or price, I cannot track them down. Perhaps that is a Riviera Sedan of which there may not be many. michaelmis, or anyone, do you have any idea from where they came?

John

While not familiar with the ads or where these cars were listed, I will confirm that these cars are both model 72 Roadmaster Riviera Sedans. These would be somewhat later production cars, I believe, because they carry the sweepspear side trim that was limited initially in 1950 to the 75R or 76R Roadmaster Riviera 2-door hardtop and 76C Roadmaster convertible. It is my understanding that the sweepspear was added later during the model year to the 72 Riviera Sedan and the model 79 Roadmaster Estate Wagon.

This ad shows the initial side trim configurations on the 1950 Roadmasters. The car in the upper left-hand corner was the regular model 71 Tour Back sedan; the largest image shows the long wheelbase model 72 Riviera Sedan with the extra side window behind the rear door. (Note: The advertisement refers to the car as the "Roadmaster 130", a reference to its long 130-inch wheelbase. The "Riviera Sedan" name for this style may not have been used until later, or perhaps not until 1951. Similarly, the "72R" model number designation may not have been utilized until 1951. Can anyone confirm?)

1950%20Buick%20Ad-02.jpg

A spring time ad shows that the sweepspear trim had been added to the Riviera Sedan:

3981546356_852167b2dd_z.jpg?zz=1

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

Brian,

The productionnumbers I took from "Standard Catalog..." showed the 72R with a different code body style.

John, those different body style codes are Fisher Body numbers, which differed from the Buick model numbers. Beginning in 1959, the model number became the same as the Fisher Body number.

Yes, some of the sources refer to the "72R" when listing the 1950 production totals; others refer only to the "72". I'm not sure which is correct, but maybe the 72 became the 72R when the sweepspear side trim (originally associated with the Riviera) was added to the model.

Mod 71 is 4 door sedan. Mod 72 is 4 door Riviera sedan. No 72R. Difference is wheel base , mostly, and some body difference. Pete explained it pretty well in the Bugle a few months back. I can't find my copy to get the month it came out. One of the most visual differences is the side vent glass BEHIND the rear doors on the Mod 72. This applies to the Super Mod 52 as well.

Pic is from Shop Manual

Ben

post-59466-143138842656_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...