question on spitfire engine id

alb

we have aquired a 6 cyul flathead spitfire enging and tranny that we need help identifying and getting specs on. here are the numbers....C48 22445 any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone would know if it would fit in a 1954 halfton dodge pickup or not...thankyou again for any help. you can email either me or my son at albrumet@hotmail.com or kennypb74@yahoo.com along with the forom

thanks

The Spitfire marking on the head indicates a Chrysler flathead six. The number C48 indicates it came from a 1950 Chrysler Royal or Windsor. C48S = Royal 6, C48W = Windsor 6. They were identical in bore, stroke and horsepower. I don't know what the difference is if any.

Bore and stroke, 3 7/16 X 4 1/2. Displacement 250.6 cu in. Horsepower 116@3600. Torque 208 ft lbs @ 1600. Oil pressure 45lbs@45MPH.

This would make an excellent engine for a 54 Dodge pickup. If the pickup was made in Canada it will bolt right in. If it was US made you may have to make room at the front of the engine by moving the rad, also change the motor mounts and a few other things.

The transmission is probably the M6 semi auto. I believe all Chryslers had this transmission. You can tell if it has this transmission because it looks like a standard but has 3 electric devices on the right side, a solenoid a governor and a switch. If it just looks like a plain standard transmission that's what it is.

In any case it will have the fluid drive which is a device like a torque converter but simpler. That is why the bell housing area is so long, it has clutch and a torque converter (fluid drive) both.

You could use this transmission or you could change it for the standard out of the pickup. So far as I know the flywheel clutch and transmission off your truck will fit the car engine.

Hope this helps. You might have better luck getting answers if you go down the page to the Dodge pickup section and post there in the future.

• 6 years later...

Hi can you ID my engine to. I'm not sure if these are the ID number or not. I got them off of the heads and they are both the same in an area close to the intake. 1555768-2 Number on the intake is 1610472-1 and the transmission is 1408240-6. This complete engine and trans or not in the car yet but it came with my purchase. The car is a 1954 Chrysler New Yorker station wagon. I was told the engine it came with was a baby Hemi? and that had been removed years ago. I plan on using this in the car unless someone knows better, won't fit etc etc. Any help would be appreciated.

There should be an engine number stamped on a flat machined surface at the front of the engine, between the heads if it is a V8. A Chrysler engine will start with a C.

I looked and the only thing I can see is on the left side flat surface about the same height as motor mount the letter F on the other side same height the are the numbers 0 1242

post-78906-143142170222_thumb.jpgLooks to be a Poly motor. Here's a article from a member on the HAMB site.

Don't know the codes, but that pic is a Hemi block engine. As you said, a separate valley cover is the sure sign. Dodge Hemi heads and/or 4bbl manifold will bolt right on. Hemi's and Poly's used the same manifolds, intake and exhaust, the header pipes are different though. The pistons will probably work too, depending on if they have raised tops, not too likely on a 2bbl engine.

Nothing wrong with the Poly heads, so don't get too disappointed if you can't find some Hemi heads. Shine her up and have people guessing what it is!

The only diff in the blocks is, the pushrod holes for the exhausts are machined more for clearance on the Poly's, no problems there. The head gaskets have a different #, but the Hemi ones work with a little trimming on poly heads.

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

Guest Bob Call

Merdead

The engine you have pictured above is a Chrysler Windsor Spitfire V8. The engine ID number is located on the top of the front of the block between the oil filler pipe and the water pump. It will have a suffix with a W which indicates Windsor. Post the ID number and we can tell you what year and the engine cubic inch. The 54 New Yorker had a 331 cubic inch hemi V8. The term baby hemi usually refers to the Dodge hemis and DeSoto hemis which are physically smaller than the Chryslers. The difference between your "polysphere" and the "hemisphere" engine is the heads, pistons, cam and pushrods. All other parts are the same as the hemi. The transmission pictured is Powerflie two speed auto, standard with this engine.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

Merdead

The engine you have pictured above is a Chrysler Windsor Spitfire V8. The engine ID number is located on the top of the front of the block between the oil filler pipe and the water pump. It will have a suffix with a W which indicates Windsor. Post the ID number and we can tell you what year and the engine cubic inch. The 54 New Yorker had a 331 cubic inch hemi V8. The term baby hemi usually refers to the Dodge hemis and DeSoto hemis which are physically smaller than the Chryslers. The difference between your "polysphere" and the "hemisphere" engine is the heads, pistons, cam and pushrods. All other parts are the same as the hemi. The transmission pictured is Powerflie two speed auto, standard with this engine.

Thanks here are the numbers Like you said they start with a W:

WE5537180

Guest Bob Call

Ok, the WE55 identifies this as a 1955 Windsor Spitfire, 331 cubic inch, rated at 250 HP, the same as the hemi for that year. The last five digits mean it was the 37180th Chrysler V8 engine produced for the 55 production year. This should be pretty much a direct bolt in to your 54. The motor mounts may be different requiring the use of 54 mounts. Maybe someone with a parts book can tell us if there is a difference in the mounts.

Thanks so much for you help and if anyone can verify that the motor mounts are correct or if they are not, how I could get the correct ones. Thanks again, what a great site this is!

Almost forgot, does anyone make patch panels for the front floor both sides? 1954 Chrysler New Yorker station wagon.

54 New Yorker had a hemi head V8, 331 cu in 195HP. The 55 Windsor had the same engine block with Polysphere heads, 301cu in 188HP.

The engine should fit your New Yorker easily and give practically the same power and performance as the original engine.

You can check the mounts, they should be the same. There may be minor differences between a 54 and a 55, and between the hemi and poly engines. I'm sure the exhaust Y pipe is different for one thing.

Guest Bob Call

I stand corrected. Rusty is right, the 55 Windsor is 301 cubic inch and the 56 is 331 cubic inch. Also the HP on the chart I was looking at is wrong, the Windsor Spitfire was 250 HP in 57. The 301 block is highly prized by the Bonneville racers. With a destroked crank they can have a hemi headed engine in the smaller classes and stock it is 4.93 liters right at the cut off for 5 liter classes.

I have a 52 Chrysler with the 331 hemi and when the exhaust needed replacing, I had a custom dual exhaust fabbed which was a lot easier than finding a stock replacement single and didn't cost much more than fabbing a replacement single, but, best of all it really sounds cool with the straight thru mufflers.

• 5 years later...

1956 Chrysler Windsor V8  with 4 barrel carb, 331 cu in 250HP 340 ft lbs of torque, 9:1 compression. An excellent engine, overshadowed by the hemi. The polysphere engine would match the big brother in performance right up to 80MPH then the deep breathing hemi pulled ahead. If in decent tune will have no trouble keeping up with today's traffic and cruising at 70MPH.

Thanks for the info, its not my car just do some work on them for another guy and unfamiliar with the Chrysler stuff.

Will help with chasing tuneup info.

One other thing is the air cleaner, it is an oil bath type and say's "Chrysler Corp heavy duty air cleaner " on the label, i gather this is original, maybe an option as others i have seen seem to have the normal paper type air cleaner.

That would be one of the last with oil bath air cleaner. To service, pour out the old dirty oil and wipe clean with rags or cotton waste. Rinse the filter element in kerosene, or Varsol and let drip dry. Do not blow with compressed air, that can make channels in the filter material. Fill the base to the line with 50 weight motor oil. Pour a little oil into the filter, just enough to wet it with oil. Check when you do a tuneup. You don't need to service it until the base is more than half full of dirt. On paved roads in a temperate climate this can take years.

Tuneup specs Normal oil pressure 40 - 65PSI. Spark plugs AR52. Plug gap .035. Points gap .017. Dwell angle 26 -28. Firing order 18436572. Timing 2 degrees BTDC.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys i have had the points out and they need replacing, and am having trouble getting a set.

I should have mentioned i reside in Australia and i don't think there are to may of these cars about.

Is there a web site that you know where i can get parts for this car ?

Another thing is both the exhaust manifolds are cracked, i have a feeling this is common ?

Don't know where to get parts in Australia. Maybe some of your old car owning friends have a suggestion?

Rockauto in the US offers quite a selection. STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS AL5255XP, WVE/AIRTEX/WELLS 4P1515 (#JA28),STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS AL5677P,  ACDELCO C122 {#19106532}

If your local motor factor sells any of these brands, having part numbers may help.

• 4 months later...

Hi I just recently bought a 1950 Chrysler Windsor w/ spitfire 6. The plugs that are in it are Champion J11 (discontinued). I have looked at a couple spark plug cross reference sites but would like confirmation from someone who is actually running modern plugs, so I can be certain.

Thank you

20 minutes ago, CanuckPete said:

Hi I just recently bought a 1950 Chrysler Windsor w/ spitfire 6. The plugs that are in it are Champion J11 (discontinued). I have looked at a couple spark plug cross reference sites but would like confirmation from someone who is actually running modern plugs, so I can be certain.

Thank you

I would not use Champion plugs if they were free. You want autolite plugs. Don’t know number for that engine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanuckPete said:

Thank you

They use a common plug, available from any auto parts store. Here is Rockauto's listing for various brands, resistor and non resistor.

If you have the original solid core type wires you should use resistor plugs. If you have modern resistor wires you can use non resistor.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chrysler,1950,windsor,4.1l+251cid+l6,1487156,ignition,spark+plug,7212

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...