41 lincoln rear brake drum removal

artwerkshop

Help, I have been enslaved be an evel doctor who ownes a 41 coupe and now has me working day and night. Besides the usual coil and timing problems , I need to install E-brake cables and maybe wheel bearings. I'm a audi- vw tech and don't know my way arount a ford car . The bk drum has an inner collar but seems to be glued in. Heated and have puller but it won't come off. Anyone?

PS; can I get standard trans. shifter seals?

The easiest and safest way to remove early Ford rear brake drums is the K.R. Wilson puller available from the Winfield Tool Company. I believe they are located in Connecticut. I don't have their address at the moment, but they advertise in Hemmings Motor News and the Early Ford V8 Club Times. Attached is a photo of the puller in action. This puller avoids damage to the threads on the end of the axle shaft as well as internal damage to the spider gears. The impact wrench is not mandatory, but it makes the hub removal really easy.

post-32768-143137901231_thumb.jpg

the coil and dist dont have many probs..how many cars running with 60 year old stuff..oe coils...jake is awesome and a friend..but skip in fla..of waterpump fame..installs new guts in coil..made my v-12 dance and sing..my jake coil..(done in '96) still good but half as strong....

if car runs start and pop into reverse, after loosening nut on drum. drum has long keyway that becomes cocked over time..slightly but enough to jam and prevent drum removal....if not running put in gear and rock car..use weight of car and muscle..rejack and drum will hopefully slide right off...try it first..it's free.

jb

oHIo

Art:

Try e-bay. There are usually several used "hub puller" or "drum puller" for bid. I got a nice Chinese three jaw puller that bolted to the lug studs and pushed on the center from an e-bay store in California. Screw on the center nut as the hub comes off with a bang. I had to use a pipe on the breaker bar socket to budge the things.

• 15 years later...

Hello 19tom40 what are the symptoms of warped drums? Pulsating brake pedal like a bad rotor? Would it give you a driveline vibration on deceleration? I have used that puller in the past and have a vibration on deceleration and not accelerating on my "48 Continental. Thank you for any info. George.

I have always used the correct hub puller, so I don't have direct experience with a warped drum.

Your vibration problem could be a bad driveshaft center bearing. Get the back wheels off of the ground and use a stethoscope or another sound amplifier to check for noise from the center bearing when the engine is driving the rear wheel and when the rear wheels are coasting.

Also check the drive shaft to pinion gear area for noise. A loose coupling could also cause that type of vibration.