Overdrive -- How is the torque tube attached for 1938?

scott12180

Related to the "high speed gears" thread, I called "Gear Vendors" in California to inquire about their overdrives. They make an overdrive that can be installed in the torque tube, BUT if the torque tube is attached to the differential by rivets --- if it is not bolted on and not easilly removeable --- then it will not accommodate an overdrive. They do alot of Fords from the 1930's, but they think it won't work on Buick or other GM products.

I don't own a car (yet) but am wondering about the overdrive option.

Can someone tell me about how the torque tube is attached?

Thanks --- Scott

Up to 1939 the torque tube was riveted on. From 1940 to, at least, 1953 it was bolted on. See attachment.

If you can put an overdrive on a Ford you can do it on a Buick. I think the problem is that Gear Vendor has not done it before. It should also be possible to cut the riveted torque tube and weld on a flange as on the later models.

I suggest we should investigate how many are interested in such a project and see what people are willing to pay for an overdrive. If Gear vendor can earn money the will be interested.

Jan

post-32235-143137897903_thumb.jpg

Jan,

The problems is the engineering and cost that goes in to the first conversion that they do. I have talked to GV about doing this and as of early this year, they didn't seem to have interest in absorbing that cost. Someone is going to have to take their car and their wallet to them and pay them to convert their car. Then, with hte engineering done, they will put together a kit.

I can't do it as I dont live close enough, you sure cant do it because you live even further. So we need to find someone in CA to be a willing benefactor.

Or you can change rear end gears and get the same effect which is to lower the engine speed out on the road. A lot cheaper and not that hard.

• 10 years later...

I think about it too .., a higher ratio in last gear ....a overdrive isn't an option for me.

nobody in Europe offer it to squeeze it in a torque tube..and a shipping to your country is,at end nearly at 6000 Bucks ??? ..

For longer I go pregnant with, and think about a t5 conversion in front of the shortened  torque tube...

This article,out of the Hot Rod Magazine  is very interesting : 

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrxp-1105-tube-rearends-take-five-and-torque-it/