Roof on 1936 Dodge

Guest Rob1960

Just to keep the confusion going, I have two right hand drive D2's. One with steel and one with a soft insert. And as far as I know they are not Australian built- they have the US style windscreen. I guess they were CKD, assembled here, but I would expect the roof insert to have already been in place. Someone once said to me that sometimes the steel roof was replaced with the soft top as they had a tendency to 'drum' at speed - not that I've noticed it. It wouldn't improve your radio reception I feel.

2012-10-17 18.59.08.jpg

IMG_1504.JPG

The 1936 with the soft top insert may have just been an early 1936 before they went to the steel insert. I had a 1936 DB sedan and never noticed any 'drumming' noise from the steel insert, even at highway speeds.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 7:23 AM, knobless said:

I’m about to get back into the repro seal, just waiting on manufacturers time frame need to know all , who are in need of this seal, so I will know how much to have run, typically I run 18 foot lengths , this fits 4 door sedan, I will not cut for coupe you must buy the whole length, it has been sometime since I have done a run, so I do not have pricing,  as soon as manufacturers get back to me with a time and quote I will post,  if you ave bought this Reproduction seal please feel free to shoot a photo and post it,   I went through 5 different seals, which none fit, ( steel rubber and others) so decided to design my own, I own software “ for molding,  they fit excellent as long as you take your time, trimming to fit all corners,,,still looking for my photos of my 36 Dodge 4 door, sold long ago,,,,Thanks 

I wouldn’t mind seeing how this turns out. I found a Chinese company that makes all kinds of extruded rubber for very cheap. Considered having them make some seal and ordering 50 meters of it (minimum order). One problem with my top is that the crack is not the same width all around.

On 2/16/2019 at 1:51 PM, Dodgenz said:

Just to keep the confusion going, I have two right hand drive D2's. One with steel and one with a soft insert. And as far as I know they are not Australian built- they have the US style windscreen. I guess they were CKD, assembled here, but I would expect the roof insert to have already been in place. Someone once said to me that sometimes the steel roof was replaced with the soft top as they had a tendency to 'drum' at speed - not that I've noticed it. It wouldn't improve your radio reception I feel.

2012-10-17 18.59.08.jpg

IMG_1504.JPG

It appears to me that the blue sedan has Plymouth running boards (fully covered with rubber) whereas the cream sedan has the regular Dodge style running boards. Also, the blue one doesn't have body belt-line moldings, while the cream one does.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

It’s interesting this thread has lived 13 years and counting. But every time I take the old Dodge to a car show, the top insert is by far the biggest subject I get comments on. So it’s not really surprising this thread won’t die!

• 3 weeks later...