Radials on a 71 LeSabre

Smartin

I would guess "probably."

I also use steel-belted radials because I tired of wearing out the dual-ply tires and wanted the safety of the radial tires. It's a point loss I can live with, you have to decide for yourself. Some people have to have it all original.

Adam,

I believe you've been given some incorrect answers. Steel-belted radial tires were optional equipment for 1967 and newer Buicks. Therefore, no deduction should be taken for radial tires on a 1971. That is what they teach all of the judges in the Judges' Training. I mention that in the upcoming April Bugle article on 1971 & 1972 Buicks, also. They might ding you a point or two for not having 78-series size, but that is all.

Pete Phillips

BCA #7338

Guest my3buicks

Pete, Buick's had radials available starting in 1967, and continued thru 1969 - in 1970 Radials where not available on new Buicks from the factory - this continued thru at least 1972 - I am not sure what year they again became available, but absolutely not available nor did they come on 1970 to 1972 maybe someone else can give us the date they again offered them.

Well, I guess I don't know as much as I thought, and now I'm out there for everyone to see! Guess I better change the article. Adam, I can tell you this: That 90% of the judges are going to allow radial tires on any Buick 1967 or newer, because that is what the BCA has been telling the judges for years, and that's the easy way to keep track of it for 200 volunteer judges. However, if you look in the judging manual under 1971 tires, Keith is right--radials are not listed, even though they were offered in some years previous to 1971. Now, we've opened a can of worms, and the judging training presentation has a boo-boo!

Pete

In the time frame that Keith references for "non-factory radial" availability, the standard tire was . . . . if I remember correctly . . . . a bias-belted tire which would have replaced the prior bias-ply tires as standard equipment. Many radial advantages without the higher cost and the ride more like a bias ply (i.e., impact harshness) at lower speeds. I'm not aware of any company reproducing that type of tire at this time, so radials would be a logial replacement.

In those earlier times (circa 1967-1975), radials were still a somewhat exotic tire option for the mainstream American vehicle customer and significantly more expensive. By observation, they were much more "radial" in characteristics than current production radial tires are. They had definite performance improvements, but had a few things (i.e., impact harshness "boom" at certain speeds, generally in the 40mph range) that were "unknown" to people used to normal bias ply tires (which were better tires, generally, than the bias-ply tires we can get today, by observation). Yet, when you got above the 45mph range, all of those minor annoyances went away and the magic velvet carpet ride took over for a superior highway ride and handling experience.

As mentioned, the size designation would most probably be a "deduct" item, possibly in addition to "incorrect type of tire".

At GM, radials didn't become standard equipment until 1975, on the majority of their cars and light trucks. Part of their "fuel economy and catalytic converter" orientation as I recall seeing in print advertising for the 1975 GM vehicles. "Radial Tuned Suspensions" (basically radial tires and rear sway bars, plus possibly some different rubber suspension pivot bushings and different shock absorber calibrations) predate that to about 1972, but that was an option. Those radials would still have been "78" or "70", letter designated-size, tires, so you'd still probably have a deduct with the newer P-metric tires currently available.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could just delete this thread and forget ee ever said anything about it grin.gif </div></div>

Where are those dang moderators when you need them tongue.gifconfused.gifgrin.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Guest my3buicks

Correct reproduction tires are available for at least the 72 Electra's, I believe the dual white stripe for the 70/71's is also available or was not long ago.

Guest my3buicks

The 72 sure won't have a set of the correct bias tires until it gets it's frame off someday - and then only until it runs the circuit and get's it's seniors.

Guest Shaffer

The only car I know of in the early 1970s that had standard radial tires was the Lincoln Continental and Mark III (70-71) and Mark IV (72-up). I remember in my old advertisements that they were using this as a selling point- stating that steel belted radials were standard. I think they were standard on Lincoln beginning in 1970 with the new redesign that year.

I still have the original spare in the trunk of my 73' Grand Ville and had the original spare in the trunk of my old 72' Electra. I would like to go back to the look of bias-ply tires on my Grand Ville, but I do not think it is worth the extra cost. It still had bias-ply tires on it when the guy I bought it from had bought it at the estate sale- he replaced them with very small tires- which I had changed immediately with whitewall tires of the proper size.