55Special 4,000 orig miles

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

This is one sweet little 55 Special. This is the lowest mileage mid fifties I have ever seen. Check out the black walls. and the radio delete. and the pristine trunk and engine compartment. I can smell the new car smell from here. I don't believe it will sell on ebay but I spec it will go into the 40's.

55 Special and I do mean SPECIAL

Thank goodness it's not a 54... tongue.gif

Guest my3buicks

My eyes about popped out when I saw that go on earlier. I like it far better than the even lower mileage 57 Special 2 door sedan that was on ebay a while back. This one just seems so much more right, probably because it doesn't have a set of wires thrown on it to make it flashier to sell. This one looks like it just came off a Buick dealers showroom floor. Someone will certainly end up with a great peice of Buick history.

This Is a NICE ride confused.gif BUT almost TO NICE IF only 4k Mils Where are the ENGINE VALVE Covers (LOGO/Decals) there on the top of the radiator, With the tag , also the confused.gifInterior Were PLAIN BUT NOT this Plain something HAs been done to the seats?? the pattern should be same as the Door material/Stiching ,

I sold my 55 2dr ht Several yrs ago had 80k mils, it still had most of the org factory decals ECT

blush.gif(if it look's to good to be true, most of the time it's NOT )

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This Is a NICE ride confused.gif BUT almost TO NICE IF only 4k Mils Where are the ENGINE VALVE Covers (LOGO/Decals) there on the top of the radiator, With the tag , also the confused.gifInterior Were PLAIN BUT NOT this Plain something HAs been done to the seats?? the pattern should be same as the Door material/Stiching ,

I sold my 55 2dr ht Several yrs ago had 80k mils, it still had most of the org factory decals ECT

blush.gif(if it look's to good to be true, most of the time it's NOT ) </div></div>

I assumed it to be a late 55 by it having the breathers/oil fill in the valve covers. I too thought the seats were plain but am not that familiar with 55 Special interior. And what are you speaking of about the radiator tags?

I would love to just be able to see it in person and photograph some of the original uniqeness of it for restoration correctness purposes. Hopefully someone will call and find out lots more about the car for us. What say ye Michael?

a3_3.JPG

Guest my3buicks

Couple things of interest, the car is not white on top as it may appear, it is actually very pale blue, the bottom is cascade blue. Note the original dealer sticker above the trunk emblem - also this car appears to have the same interior as the 55 Tudors (2 door sedans) no carpet etc. Could someone with 55 literature enlighten us on the possibility of a Deluxe" interior option that would give us the interior that we are used to seeing in the 2 door hardtops?

Dangit Mr. Earl, this is why I don't watch ebay anymore. That and the new 1931 Model A in my garage.

That car has my name all over it. The interior is the exact pattern and fabric as mine. Same door pattern too. The valve covers on late 55 did NOT have the decals on them. The radiator tag was paper, that probably would have disintegrated or been taken off at the time of delivery. I don't see anything wrong with this car. I would say at least $30k for a very plain Jane car. Cool hubcaps instead of full wheelcovers. I agree that along with not being correct, the wire wheels would have set off more questions about originality.

Mike

Guest sintid58

That looks very much like the interior in my 55 Special other than the color. It does not have carpet, neither did my 58 Special or the 58 Special my grandfather had he bought new or the 55 Special my dad had that he bought new. (I remember the 58 of grandpas and dad has told me that about his 55). I have never seen a 50's special with original interior that had anything but vinyl (rubber) floor mats but I am told you could order them with carpet for extra cost. What a gorgeous car this is but it was probably ordered with very few options considering the hubcaps. And I am close to it, now if I could figure out a way to come up with the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was referring to the fact that an earlier post had said they thought it was odd it didn't have carpet. </div></div>

Sintid, I realized what you were saying after I posted, sorry.

Body color on wheels was an option with the small hubcaps.

Mike

Guest imported_Thriller

It's a good thing I have too many other things to spend money on...I don't think I would very much like to have such a nice original as I would be torn between driving it and keeping it low mileage.

My '56 has carpet, not that it matters much in this discussion.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Just thought I'd post these for the archival value. I mean how often do we get to look at a 1955 plain Jane Buick Special with 4000 miles. Still rolling on the original BF Goodrich 7.10 14 4 ply blackwalls, and the spare with the original air still in it. Radio delete, clock delete (Buick Eight), standard hub "caps" on painted wheels w/French White pin stripes(no fancy wheel covers for this lady.

I had a very enjoyable talk with Jack, the current owner of the car last night. He said the only thing he could point out bad about the car is a small dent on the front fender which I think I see in the picthre. He said there is some slight crazing of the paint in a couole of places. I think I seeing the front bumper may be a little higher on one side than the other but that may be an optical illusion.Jack shares the love for LOW mileage originals as I do. He has had 60's Mustangs that never had the gas tank filled a second time. During our talk we also discovered we both also like pedal cars. He said he'd be on the look out for me a 41 Buick.I told him to make sure it was a "driver" as I hope to someday have grandkids.

4000miler1.jpg

4000miler5.jpg

4000miler4.jpg

4000miler2.jpg

4000miler3.jpg

4000miler10.jpg

4000miler9.jpg

4000miler8.jpg

4000miler7.jpg

Guest imported_MrEarl

I was surprised to see the reserve in the mid teens and equally surprised that the car didn't bring in the 30's. Jack emailed me aditional pictures and folks, aside from one small dent on the front fender that had no paint breaking and could have been paintless repaired the car was like showroom. What would it take to restore a car to this degree. And what would you have? Right a restored car. this baby was just like it came off the show room. Woops, I'm NOT putting down restorations, I'm just saying this baby was showroom condition and .... never mind. Had it been a 54 I'd be in a whole heap a trouble cause I would be on my way to pick it up tomorrow and my son and daughter would be looking for school loans.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just over $20K. I'll tell you what, If I had a 401k, that puppy would be in my driveway next week. Oh well, I hope it's going to a good home. </div></div>

Mike, I can help you with one of those ......

Guest imported_MrEarl

You talkin to me...Judging by my way off evaluation I did of this one at 40K, I guess I'd say 6,000. crazy.gif I still think this one went low. Should have at least fetched 30. There was a 54 4 door that just recently sold on eBay for 3,300. Straight, solid, low miles, recent black respray, original very good interior, excellant windows with Dynaflow. I wanted that car bad. So 2,000 to 3,000 would be ball park for your sons I'd say. That wouldn't by any chance be the black one from N California that was offered on here would it? I wanted it too!!! grin.gif

Now that were on this topic, I have found a 1957 Buick Century 2 door hardtop with 15,000 original miles, it was parked in 1961. The interior and trunk are perfect, brand new. The car has PS, PB and wonderbar. The price is $15K, but it hasn't run since the mid to late 1960's. Is it worth that kind of money? It still has the original tires on it. What do you guys think??????????

Thanks

Guest imported_MrEarl

I agree with Carbuff2. Hopefully it has been stored inside most of the 25 years but even if not, I'll even carry it to the extent that if the exterior paint is in good condition, no serious rust, the chrome is without heavy pitting, the windows are without fogging and the exterior can be detailed nicely it would be worth the asking price. If it was running w/o problems when parked there should be no problem there but you may have problems with the tranny after sitting that long. One area that is typically pretty rough in the mid fifties Buicks is the engine bay area. They apparently only hit them with one light coat of thin paint and there is typically heavy surface rust on the gravel pan, fender skirts, battery pan etc. Even if you have to put 3-4 grand into the car, I would still say it's worth the 15 grand.But just to make sure, why don't you give me the persons name, phone number and address and I'll "check it out" for ya. wink.gifgrin.gif