What cars have you spanked with a Reatta?

Guest F14CRAZY

Guest F14CRAZY

You can tell if your Reatta got <span style="font-style: italic">spanked</span> too frown.gif

Beretta GT (3.1L, auto)

'99 Cutlass (same as above)

Reattae are NOT dragsters, so I punish local Z3/4 cars on the curvacious roads in the area, they can't touch me in my V6 FWD go-karts, known as "Black Beauty" and "Fade to Black". I've spanked a Z4 with the drop-top, and a Z3 with the coupe, both 91's. Either one was able to follow, 'till we get to the 160 degree flat curve with guardrail, they're afraid to kick the tail out, fearing kissing the guardrail. That's where the real "Spanking" begins, I leave them in the dust and wait to see thier astonished faces at the end, before I give 'em a "parade wave" and leave them in the dust once again!

Guest F14CRAZY

I agree. Reattas are not good for dragging or from a stop. Acceleration through 2nd gear is great though. And they handle pretty good until the understeer hits ya. But until then they're good.

I have smoked a 1994 honda civic with $10,000 in engine mods. I know the guy verry well. I helped him do most of the mods. He was running his mouth saying he can beat my car any day. So we took it to a new development and had a good 1/2 mile of new pavment. No houses of corse. Lined up and off we went he beat me for about the first 200 feet. Then as you guys said as soon as it hit second all he saw was my tail lights. He clamed he missed a shift so we did it again and the same thing happend. Never underestimate a GM. Oh and my car is 100% stock. Well the trans is tweeked a little smirk.gif So i guess its only 99% stock.

To avoid understeer, one must drive with two feet thru hairy curves, by holding the brake just enough to cause the rear tires to grip and adding a little extra throttle to compensate the drag on front wheels. The guy behind you thinks you're going to stop on the way in/thru the curve-and backs off, as you power thru the curve, FWD pulling the whole way, and leaving him wondering what just happened. Doing the same with RWD will cause an uncontrollable spin.

She needs some cleaning up and babying now, but in the past 6yrs, I've punished 4cyl wannabes (Honda, Toyotas, Mitso-who-ees, and laughably, Scions) like there was no tomorrow. Hell, I can still do that, and it's tune-up time. Same with the over-rated G6.

I have to say though, the most impressive spanking was when going down S.C. with my father (Camaro Z-28 SS) and my Uncle (Monte Carlo SS). Somewhere down Rt. 301 (have no idea where, just that we were in N.C.) they decided to leave me behind and run. I didn't know where I was going, as I was following them, not going my way (I-95S). I was following my Uncle when suddenly my father, who was following me blew by, waving and laughing. Next thing, my uncle took off and left me too! I started swearing, got a bit P'd off and slammed her to the floor, hoping to at least keep them in site (we were doing about 70mph at the time).

She (yes, I call my Reatta a "she") must not have liked it any more than I did, 'cause when I floored her, she (literally) felt like she crouched down about 3inches and shot off like a rocket! I almost hit my Uncle's SS at about 125mph and, after passing him, came up on my father at 135 and pulling! He later told me he looked into his rear-view and did a double-take! He didn't expect to see me on his tail.

Of course, he waved goodbye at that moment and went into 6th gear, so all I saw was his tail lights after that! crazy.gif

I dropped it into Neutral and dropped speed at 142mph when the radar went off! N.C. Speed Trap! Pop had to be doing 170 or better through it! They never stopped him!

After that, no one in the family makes jokes about the Reatta, and no one wants me to follow them anymore. If my father wasn't the one telling them, they'd never believe that a 6cyl dusted the INFAMOUS Monte Carlo SS. It'll still embarrass me out of the hole, though... I think. laugh.gif

(Let us all thank GM for governing the SS's) LOL! grin.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

And how'd you do it? From my experience it doesn't sound convincing. My coupe begins slowing up at a bit past 100. 117 was the max its been to with me and I don't think it really could go any faster. Just not enough steam available, and it's hard to decide whether to keep it to the floor in 3rd or let up a little and hit overdrive.

Please explain! laugh.gif

Guest Reatta1

Only thing I've 'spanked' with Black Beauty was an Acura that kept egging me on on the highway. Started out I was creeping up on him at normal highway speed but as I got off his rear quarter he edged it up a bit. I edged it up a bit too but each time I got near his rear quarter he kept creeping a little faster. I finaly said screw it and punched her. Was doing about 85 at that point. he punched it too and almost stayed with me till we hit 100. After that it was no contest. Last I saw him he was fading in the rear view mirror. grin.gif

As for the Reatta getting 'spanked', the 93 Regal will do it.

Nope F14! No override (not that I installed, anyway - Don't know what was done before I had her). K&N filter, 8.8mm Accel Wires, drilled out intake (per suggestions on this site, AC Delco RapidFire Plugs, Mobil1 Filter and Synthetic Oil, Z-Max every 4-6mnths, oil changes every 1500 miles or so, constant inductions of "108" Octane Booster in the black can (I pour 1-2 32oz cans in at every other refill or so), and a hell of a lot of cleaning and maintaining. My car tended (when I was doing what I was supposed to do and keeping her ship-shape) to accel (excuse the pun) at speeds beyond the 55mph mark. She still will give most saloons a ride for the money above 60mph, but she really needs to be cleaned up and maintained again (which she's reminding me of by trying to kill my sorry a$$ right now!

I've NEVER had to let up to get her to lock in 4th or OD Not really sure they are the same thing. After she goes to 4th, she drops back into "Passing gear" up to about 140ish and then starts tapering off, even now (Had to test her out on I-95 to be sure). If you're only getting 117, something's wrong (uh, I do have a '90 though, if that makes a difference).

I assure you, MauiWowee, that "Top Speed" is BS. I can do that without even trying and have passed it too many times already... not that I speed or anything. I just have to drive "very defensively" sometimes. LOL.

LOL Luftweg! One day, if she doesn't kill me with this brake issue first, we'll have to test that theory of "Once upon a time". Those specs are for an '89 (at least they're the same as the '89... Now add 5+ more horsepower from the factory onto yours and... laugh.gif

I don't have a Reatta. But, I've got an 89 Riviera. The most interesting race I've had was with a 97 (approximately) Mustang. It was a v-6, I know that because I beat it. It also had a manual trans. I won by a fair margin... He couldn't drive and there was about six people in it... But it was fun to see the embarassed look on his face when he got beat by a Granny-Mobile. I even got the car from my grandmother.

Guest F14CRAZY

Wouldn't you redline in 3rd gear at 140 mph though? Not sure exactly of what the enigne speed would be but would be crazy.

I know of a really steep, long hill that's somewhere along the way to Missouri. Sometime I've got to go down that grin.gif

Coming off 496 today I gave a Saab "9-3 aero" a hard time but was inconclusive. I was catching up though.

Guest F14CRAZY

I will pay $5 for a photo of your odometer doing this feat

It seems as if the 3800 just doesn't have enough steam to move the 3400 pound car that fast, but I dunno

Guest imported_nomad

The stock Reatta is not a powerful car....

the "Cup" (nomad)car has modified KN intake, superchip, and shiftkit

(just replaced the rotted out rear wheel support also and replaced w/stiffer Rivira spring)

"Reatat got spanked too"

Cars that have spanked the Reatta:

2002 Camaro

Nissan 300 ZX

Subaru Imprezza WRX

Neon SRT4

Pontiac GTP

Buick GS

Certain Volvos w/turbos

A neighbors beat-up Grand National

...i did an oil change and installed new wires and Bosch Platinums

..must be my imagination but the other day i punished on 2 trys a 350 zx

...and on the parkway...a fancy Lighting Truck...who couldn't keep up.

Definately not a good idea to beat-up these 18+ yo cars....

Naw, EDBSO. That more or less means "Other People's Personal..." (insert your most derogatory idea of other people here).

F-14, if I can get one of my friends to ride with me (women won't, and I don't "hang out" with guys like that) when I'm able to get away with pushing those speeds and I have my Cam, you don't need to pay; I'll just post it to prove my point. Not very safe to try driving... on second thought, only a fool would try to take a pic while driving at those speeds. I've never had anyone riding shotgun while running those speeds. I can only get away with that on I-95 in very specific parts and usually very early in the morning. I need all of my concentration on the road and the car. If I had known it wasn't "the norm", I would've already had someone take pics of it. Still think any '90+ could do it and mine is nothing special. Remember, we're just talking about where the rev limiter is set, not how "quick" the car is, at this point.

American sold Reattas have limiters for both rpm (6000) and speed (125 mph) the later matched to the tires. Now some cars with modified PROMs have "lost" those limits (usually the mph, turning a 3800 past 6 is stupid).

Similarly, the TCC is not designed to engage above 53% TPS so will not lock up on full throttle. Fourth gear is hydromechanically controlled and have never looked into forcing into 4th. Remember 4th is a .7 O/D and 3rd is 1:1

Anything is possible.

HP is a poor gauge of top speed, is a matter of torque, gears, tires, and drag on a flat road. Weight also has little to do with it. Drag on a Reatta is a matter of shape and frontal area & is very low with windows closed and headlights down.

BTW I turned a number of 8.4 second 0-60s as measured by the G-Tech Pro so mid-8s sounds about right.

• 2 months later...

My 1998 Buick Regal GS (Supercharged 3800/240HP) has spanked MANY 5.0 Tangs. A 91 Tang did inch up @ 45mph till about 65mph, then it was bye bye. And to add insult to it my GS is white with the grey bottom strip. Looks like a grand pa's car. Of course I dont look like a grand pa. I'm only 59.

Guest Greg Ross

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> [color:\\"red\\"] Now some cars with modified PROMs have "lost" those limits </div></div>

I might drive one of those cars!

I've seen 124 and flickering 125 on 2 occasions in Betsy Blue and solid 125 only on one occasion, that was on a Dyno (no drag) in Baton Rouge, La with the the original stock 3.8L. And a really awesome sound!

RPM?, too distracted with other business but I have a vague recollection of mid to high 4000s' range. Both road runs were on new tires that had been rebalanced after break-in. Last attempt was with the S/C engine but with later discovered problems. Turned out I'd pinged her badly and had a blown head gasket and two cracked pistons. Speed run didn't do the damage, running the wrong PROM did! Otherwise known as "Hey Stupid"!

The car is really quite well behaved at that rate of speed. Now with my manual Tranny and not limited my either progrqamming constraints or (the Automatic)3rd gear ratio, I suspect Betsy Blue could get right on up there. crazy.gif