where can I find aficianados of early 60's compacts?

lancer770

I don't need to just find fellow Mopar A-Body fans. I wouldn't mind listening to and telling lies to owners of Falcons, Corvairs, Larks, or ChevyIIs. It just seems that Automobile organisations have forgotten the pioneers of the little big cars from the time of Ike,JFK,and LBJ. How about it, anybody out there?

Dear Lancer,BRING it on,WE are NOT prejudice here,WE listen to lies and CERTAINLY tell some of our own,ANY make,ANY model.Did i ever tell ya about the ALL original 66 L-79 Chevy II i had that would run in the 10s in the quarter mile with cheater slicks.How about the time............ diz shocked.gifsmile.giflaugh.giftongue.gif

Guest De Soto Frank

Yes, there's some lurking right here !

My first (and still among my favorite) cars were 1962 Falcons; the first was a '62 "Deluxe" 4-dr that I purchased from one of my merit-badge counselors while I was a Senior in high-school - c. 1984. The little beast had a mere 189,000 miles on it then...Cost me a whole $100. grin.gif (The seller slashed $50 off the price when I said I didn't want the "sheepskin" front seat cover !)

The second '62 Falcon joined the family about 6 months later, a '62 2 dr post, white w/ red & white interior...original owner, whose family had finally convinced him that it was time to stop driving ,at 94...we got the car for $250, including the original bill of sale : original selling price was something like $1,300...

We still have the two '62 Falcons, plus I have since acquired a '64 Valiant Signet convertible...slant six with factory four-speed stick!

For "throw-away cars", these little cars could go for hundreds of thousands of miles... most were pretty spartan in their appointments, but provided cheap transportation...

How many of us leaned to drive in older relative's Comets, Chevy IIs, Falcons, Valiants, Lancers, Rambler Americans, Olds F-85s, Buick Specials, etc ?

Guest De Soto Frank

Sorry...no slight intended...I don't usually think of the Met as a "60's compact"...

I also forgot one of my other "favorites": the Stude Lark !

Dizzy Dale did you see the Chevy II at Hershey, red, with only a few hundred miles. It was parked a row from me. Had an interesting history. If I remember it was only driven on the track. Original owner sold it and then bought it back. Im thinking it was one of those L-79. Wasnt really eye catching, didnt really look much different than a regular Chevy II.

greg

Guest my3buicks

Probably the classiest of the 60's compacts was the 61-62 Skylark - they are often called mini-Electra's because they resemble a 61 Electra so closely, and had very plush interiors. I had a 61 Skylark and it rode like a big car and handled great. The 215 Aluminuk V8 gave be nice acceleration and power adn was rather economical to boot. Of course the v6 was standard in the Special series vor those that really wanted to conserve.

Hey Lancer-welcome! If I ever find my little black (red interior) 61 Plymouth Valient I'll have to go buy a garage stretcher cause it would have to come home!

Terry

Guest De Soto Frank

Ditto, if I ever find a twin to Mom's long-lost '61 Rambler American CONVERTIBLE ! White with black top and blue (?) interior...

Thanks for the replies guys and gals. I don't feel so lonely now. As our Aussie brethern would say It's nice to hear about something other than a "Yank Tank" (30 gal tank American cars that pass everything but a Petrol pump). You have renewed my faith in the craziness of the old car community. grin.gif