PAK-AGE-CAR

The PAK-AGE-CAR I was asking about is not a car. It's the name of a rear engine delivery truck,(a milk truck). I think it was built in Indiana, possibly by Stutz Motors (1930-1938)and that's about all I've been able to find out.<BR> <BR>

Pak-Age-Car was started in 1925 in Chicago and marketed with little sucess. In 1927, Stutz took over marketing utilizing its dealer network. By 1932, the Package Car Co. was no longer able to survive, so Stutz also took over the manufacting end. They continued to produce tha Pak-Age-Car until 1938. At that time, Auburn Automobile Co. bought out Pak-Age-Car and moved the tooling, machinery, etc to Connersville where the Cord was made. In 1939, Auburn sold the sales and service end to Diamond T, but continued the manufacturing end. In 1941 Auburn gave up the manufacting of them to concentrate on defense work. Manufacture was never resumed. <BR>The Pak-Age-Car was actually a delivery van much on the order of the Divco. Its claim to fame was that it was inexpensive to purchase and very economical to operate. Hope this helps.

I'm looking for info for a 1934 PAK-AGE-CAR.<BR>Any PAK-AGE-CAR info or web site locations<BR>would be greatly appreciated.<BR> Thank you.<BR>

I dont't believe there was a PAK-AGE-CAR produced in 1934 or ever. There were vehicle configurations known as Package Cars, which were essentially sedans without rear side windows and screenside vehicles. These were light duty commercial vehicles intended for the local retail trade, etc.

Steve, that was a great response. I was just about to reply that the van was made by "either" Stutz or Auburn.<BR>I had a large collection of MoTor magazines, which I donated to the AACA Library. I remember reading an article in there about this little truck and it saying one or the other of those companies made it.<BR>There also used to be one in a junkyard in Hanover, PA. The owner used it to store hubcaps. They were really old hubcaps too. During the 1970s I went there a number of times and purchased hubcaps to sell at the flea markets.

The Stutz club has published a book, "Splendid Stutz" which devotes chapter 14 to the Pak-Age car. It is still available from the club.<BR>>regards<BR>Paul Jacobs

• 11 years later...

Don't have anything authoritative on the Pak-Age-Kar other than a nice thumbnail in Mroz; it seems to've had an array of engines during its life; parts books listing Pac/Pak-Age-Car/Kar (spellings differ) generally agree on:

1926 (Mroz) 28-29 (catalogs) original 2cyl hor-opposed (flat) maker unknown;

Catalogs skip to 33 (Mroz says Stutz acq'd 32)

1933 Austin 4 2.2 bore

1934 Austin-Stutz 4 2.2 bore

Catalogs don't show 1935

1936-37 Herc IXA 4cyl 3" bore

Mroz says sold to Auburn Central Co (an E.L Cord Co) 1938

!938-41 Lycoming DC 4cyl 35/16 bore; HOWEVER, there are reports they also used Lycoming CT 4cyl 33/4 bore, those of the famous/infamous swelling/disintegrating potmetal oilpumps.

There's probably more info under Stutz listings, but it's yawn time here.