1928 Model 52 Landau Sedan

DLynskey

I was just wondering if my old Chrysler is still around. I sold a partially restored 1928 Model 52 Landau 4-door sedan in 1970 to a gentleman in North Georgia. Did it ever get completed? Has anyone run across such a car in the southeast?

• 15 years later...

Chris,

Thanks for resurrecting this old post. and welcome to the forum. Heck, this post is almost old enough to qualify as an antique itself! You'll find lots of information, help and friends if you hang around here for long.

It's probably amazing to some that I'm still around, but I would still like to find my old Chrysler. I sold it around 1970 to James E. Kelley of Canton, Georgia who worked for the Forestry Department. The serial (Fedco) number was W186Y and the motor number, which was the registration number was 86101. 

I'm not in the market for anything at this time but enjoy talking about and hearing about cars. What model is yours? What are your plans for it. Any photos? We always like photos on this forum.

Chrysler007.thumb.jpg.74068ab88a8f309fb5664d8c2591bbcd.jpgChrysler008.thumb.jpg.ca31c534985f680ea7071acd212da03f.jpg

Don

Edited by DLynskey
Added Photos (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

It would be quite a project but nothing too complicated and parts are available.  The Chrysler 52 was a strong seller so many parts cars are around, plus many parts are interchangeable with a mid-20s Maxwell or a 1929 Plymouth. The hardest part is the wood and yours looks to be pretty good. I believe I see front brake drums which means you have 4-wheel hydraulic brakes -- a big advantage over the 2-wheel mechanical brakes on many of them, including the one I had.

Finished it would be a reliable vehicle for leisurely driving and a curiosity at the local shows and cruise-ins. The engine was bullet proof but unhappy above 45 mph. I bought mine in 1959 from the original owner. It was his only car and he used it for 30 years as a salesman covering a 100 mile radius or so. No telling how many times the odometer had turned over, but it would still start with a quarter turn of the crank, and I took it as is on a few AACA tours, up to 100 miles, in the condition you see in the photos.

Thanks for the photo and post another for us when you finish the restoration!

1656376432_chrys52photo.jpg.d71951e683d94b76ab646b6dc8433c48.jpg

Don

Edited by DLynskey
Added Photo (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's pretty late, but if you would allow us to pick your brain, any information you have would be beneficial for us. If you could please call my husband Chris Franks at 330-324-2366, we would greatly appreciate your knowledge and time. We are currently reassembling the original flathead 4 motor and could use some insight and direction. We have never taken on a project quite like this, and honestly, our mechanical knowledge is limited to changing oil and brakes in our own vehicles lol

16160393882277361644826533545104.jpg

I'm afraid I won't be of much help, but as "28 Chrysler" said there is plenty of help on this forum; these folks are eager to help. The first advice you will get is to find a repair manual on Ebay. Then for specific problems search this forum -- the entire forum, not just the Chrysler section. Most questions are generic and apply to other makes as well and have been asked and answered in the past.

I was a teenager when I had the Chrysler and my dad worked in maintenance at a foundry and had plenty of mechanic friends who enjoyed working on it with me as a "fetchit". Mine was in running condition when I got it and we never had to get into the engine. The only mechanical work was with the clutch, a broken axle (which is the only reason I was able to get the car from the original owner) and generator. Another friend of my dad was a skilled woodworker and redid the wood where it was needed. Then life intervened. I went away to college and graduate school leaving it in my parents' garage. Eventually I married and started a family. I sold the Chrysler to help raise the down payment on a house.

Don

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we got the motor running!!!! And we also ordered a manual off eBay for it as well, as suggested by a wise gentleman, lol. And it appears the manual is very much like a "handyman special" or "how to" guide as well. So that's a plus lol

Edited by Sreed270 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I was researching this Chrysler car I bought and came across your post. I’m happy to report I have your car sir. It is mostly complete and untouched judging from your pictures. It even has the same tags on the front as in your pictures.  It sits in dry storage in my shop at the moment. I would be very interested to know more history on it. I bought it at auction in Gainesville and brought it to my place in Winder, Ga 

1F16AFA5-618C-40D3-BD69-920D09D1D477.jpeg

1826ECCD-146C-4123-ABAD-00142DE88F08.jpeg

2942D76B-6187-4D6D-8CD0-D0EDEBCF2D8C.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow! It's good to know the old girl survived, but the years have certainly not been kind to her. When she left my garage in about 1971, I doubt she had ever set outside overnight. She was well worn but had not a speck of rust anywhere. The top had leaked and let some of the structural wood decay, but a friend replaced any weak wood and it was as sound as a new car.

Attached is the only color photo I have of the car as I bought it. The owner was almost deaf and must have been colorblind as well. Also here are a few photos of the car being worked on. The original owner's son has asked about the car. I'll see if I can find him to let him know it's still around.

Don

Chrysler003.jpg.dd536134fae455cfae259bf3e089a0eb.jpg

Chrysler007.jpg.b29d9d95712851573ab2bd18d4293566.jpg

Chrysler008.jpg.4fee17c555234d640f428e98079101df.jpg

Chrysler009.jpg.99c6f9ae21367114a3df07a5a7a0b798.jpg

photo474.jpg.a8660332773842ded30803e04c9732b4.jpg

Slide166.jpg.54f33c39a1a514f6bcae660859ec527b.jpg

photo472.jpg

Edited by DLynskey
removed duplicate photo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Always nice to see cars go missing and show up again. I'm curious about the "Faux Landau" nature of these Model 52 Chryslers. The old photos of specific cars above show all the extra trouble Chrysler went to to make a wood framed rear cabin which then got covered with fabric and faux landau irons. The illustration on the other hand refers to the "Model 52 Landaulet" which was the highest priced model and had no fabric on back quarters (but faux landau bars), and I assume was a standard sedan steel stamping. So were there in fact 2 different offerings? The Landau and the Landaulet? And why would the non-padded version be the most expensive? Of course, the biggest question would be "Why on earth would Chrysler (or any one else) go to all the trouble of building a special wood carcass on the back quarters just to put on a fake folding top and fake landau irons?". I know Chevrolet in period had a Landau Sedan with folding rear quarters. 

1929 Chevrolet Landau Sedan.jpg

Chrysler and nearly every other manufacturer made the "fake landau" models because people bought them. It's no different from vinyl tops and continental spares on cars of the 1950's. Aside from Ford and Dodge most of the bodies were composed of wood structure covered with metal skins. It cost no more to cover the wood with fabric than it did with metal. Look at Chevrolet coupes from 1925 through 1928. All had fabric covered rear window and fake landau irons. Even Ford offered fabric tops on Model A sport coupes.

Don

• 5 months later...