WHICH ONE IS NOT LIKE THE OTHERS?

For those "Closet" Airstream lovers, this is what happens when you hit it was the polisher. The thing looks brand new.

There is also a rumor that Airstream is going to make a new shiny trailer again in 2007.

Look at the web page,the new ones are $35k and up!

Just think what the Hershey would look like if all those gray airstreams were shined up.

Photo445.jpg

3 more hours of work today....

Photo450.jpg

Guest my3buicks

I know it's a lot of work, but man, if it was that shiney everywhere it would look stunning behind that Cadillac - you would be having the guys in the big rigs drooling.

Guest imported_Joe Kieliszek

There's no turning back now!

(unless you hit the shiney area with Scotch brite!)

Joe Kieliszek grin.gif

that's quite a project!

Really, you need to start from scratch for what you are trying to do. God forbid you call it a modified trailer.

Plywood floors just don't last 50 years.

I would just be careful of heats and carbonmonixied.

To many stories of people not waking up it those thinks with the car inside.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that's quite a project!

Really, you need to start from scratch for what you are trying to do. God forbid you call it a modified trailer.

Plywood floors just don't last 50 years.

I would just be careful of heats and carbonmonixied.

To many stories of people not waking up it those thinks with the car inside. </div></div>

There is nothing on board that produces carbon monoxide. Sealed batteries will provide current for air conditioning and what little heat will be needed.

What makes you think that two 3/4" layers of tongue and groove plywood, running in opposite directions, attached to the metal structure with 2,000 fasteners, and covered with aluminum diamond plate won't hold up. Please explain why that will not hold up.

If you would read the story you will find that I have taken great pains to conceal a thoroughly modern trailer integrated into the original chassis. It is rediculously overbuilt.

I thank you for your concerns.

I'm curious, how many car hauler conversions have you seen?

Barry

340096_121_full.jpg

340096_287_full.jpg

340096_222_full.jpg

No, you missed my point.

I was refering to the orignal trailer plywood construction being 50 years old, and needing to be replaced.

The floors are always rotted out.

Your new trailer looks very stough.

I missed the point, at first, too.

But you definately bring up a good point regarding fumes. Barry, the car itself can release all sorts of fumes. I was wondering myself if there was a "safe" wall between the car and the living quarters. The air conditioner would probably take care of that, unless the temperature was such that you wouldn't be using it.

The rear 21 feet will be garage space and the front 11 feet will be an air conditioned lounge separated from the rear section. We won't be sleeping in the trailer. My wife's idea of roughing it is the Holiday Inn. The lounge is to escape the heat at Concours shows.

Guest my3buicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes, what else are you suppost to do in 97 degree heat?

Photo455.jpg </div></div>

LOOKS GREAT!!!!

Here is our 32' Vintage brand hauler. The front 12' is a camper complete with heat and A/C & fan, a bathroom, 3/4 length closet and a small fridge/freezer below that. Then there is a two burner stove and a single bowl kitchen sink. Lots of cabinet space. The dinette folds into a double bed and the couch folds into a single bed.

The back 20' is open car/cargo area. It currently holds our Legends race car and all the tools and extra parts for racing. But hopefully in a year or two will be hauling our 63 1/2 Ford Falcon Sprint convertible to shows.

This photo was taken in New Hampshire in Dec. right before Christmas. It was four degrees outside and had six inches of snow on the ground. We were warm and toasty the whole visit. Now the car/cargo area was COLD!!!

That is why I posted the photo and description of ours, because it sounded so much like what you plan to do with the trailer you have.

It is amazing how much can be packed into such a small space. The bathroom is actually a shower stall with a molded-in sink and a travel trailer style toilet. The water for the shower head comes off of the back of the faucet on the sink. And there is even a shower curtain to protect the wood door into it.

We stay in it after the races. We got really tired of paying big money for motel rooms and decided to find a trailer like this and just put what we would spend at motels into payments on the trailer.

If you want to see the inside of ours let me know and I will take some digital photos and post them for you.

Barry - I LOVE IT! I wanted to do that for a very long time, but other things got in the way so it never came to fruition. Keep us up to date. How are you going to do the interior? Vintage look or modern feel?

I am looking for a reasonable priced small vintage teardrop for behind my Amphicar. The answer to the question you're thinking of now ... is yes! I will make it float too! Can you imagine seeing a car an trailer camped out on a island. Humm, how'd he do that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The answer to the question you're thinking of now ... is yes! I will make it float too! Can you imagine seeing a car an trailer camped out on a island. Humm, how'd he do that? </div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">THAT</span></span> is an awesome idea!

Here is an attachment of a Amphicar pulling a pontoon boat that goes in and out of the water together. The pontoon boat has a little electric kicker motor to help guide it if needed. This entire set up, both car and pontoon boat were almost flipped over and sank a month ago by a overzealous Coast Guard. Thankfully the only damage was a big dent to the Amphicar.

John, that is a great idea. I even would like to set in the camper and have a beer while you pull us and the bikini clad girls to that island. smile.gif

The interior will be done in post-modern '50s style. I collect furniture from that era. The ceiling will have a 4' wide panel of polished aluminum running from the back wall of the cabin to the top of the front windows. The rest of the interior will be birch paneling to match the period furniture.

Our use will be much the same as yours except we will not be sleeping in it. My wife's idea of roughing it is the Holiday Inn. The cabin will have a toilet, frige, microwave, entertainment center and A/C.

Amphicar Buyer,

I love the idea of the floating trailer. What a sight.

We showed our car last year at the Bay Harbor Concours were we took "Most Elegant Motorcar". There were 4 Amphicars there. That's the most I've seen in any one place.

Below is the original concept drawing.

Please visit page 5 of my web site for fully documented insanity.

See page 5

340096_98_full.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We showed our car last year at the Bay Harbor Concours were we took "Most Elegant Motorcar". There were 4 Amphicars there. That's the most I've seen in any one place </div></div>

She's going to be a beauty! With the methods used to build it, I would say it will be around for many a year to come.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Hows this for an "armada" of Amphicars? (about 60)</span>

group photo.jpg

John Bevins

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That dark blue one right beside the yellow one (Dave's) is mine. Now how long did it take us to line up for this picture? And even longer the following year. </div></div>

That was the setup I did in 2004 trying to set them up by color. I believe it took about 2+ hours because we had a few folks from Mn that felt they should be in front and ignored the theme. mad.gif So the whole color thang did not end up as planned. I probably won't try again to make it "art-ful"

John Bevins

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, now you have done it. I want to see better photos of the Cris Craft. Those are the most beautiful boats ever. </div></div> yea yea hurry up and sneak some photos of the Cris Craft in , I love em too.