No more Purple PA Plates....

Guest jmarsicano

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I completely agree that the "Flaghip Niagra" plate is completely un-readable, and should never have gone into circulation...half the plate is "white numbers against a white background"...</div></div>

I never knew what that one was named but it sure is hard to read.

Bill and I opted for the standard plate format on our vehicles. I did get a vanity plate for the PT Cruiser but it still is a standard plate. They are white with blue and gold stripes. West Virginia at the top and Wild, Wonderful at the bottom of the plate. Very easy to read and neat looking. I attached a picture of that plate. My little Zip-Zap PT Cruiser is on the bumper of the big PT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There are always cases of abuse of antique plates. The way to stop it is report them to the police and let them handle it. </div></div>

You know, I have an idea. What if the plates were a unique color and design so that they stood out from the regular plates? Something really strange that no other plate would resemble,..., say purple! That would make it a lot harder to use them inconspicuously and might cut way down on abuse.

Oh.

smirk.gif

What is the point? The state is making money no matter how stupid the plate looks on a latemodel used car. Connecticut started there "Early American" plates in the 1940's, 90% of the cars running these plates in this state are post 1950 vehicles.

Will they let you register a purple plate if you get it from someone that has taken it off of a car that they sold? Or are you just out of luck and have to use the new one? Here we can use the special plate for antique vehicles or use a plate from the year the car was made. We lucked out and found a mint condition plate from 1963, our state's centennial year, and will use it on our 1963 1/2 Ford Falcon Sprint convertible when it goes back on the road.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Will they let you register a purple plate if you get it from someone that has taken it off of a car that they sold? </div></div>

What? Reuse an item manufactured at state expense? <span style="font-style: italic">In Pennsylvania? <span style="font-weight: bold">But what, then, would the poor starving material suppliers do? [color:\\"red\\"]Why, they might not make enough money to contribute to campaigns any more! </span></span> speechless-smiley-019.gifsmirk.gif

Sorry, but you'd have to live in PA to see why that's funny. <span style="font-weight: bold">No</span> plates are <span style="font-style: italic">ever</span> transferred between cars, years (no YOM), or owners in PA with one exception that I think has been closed. Ten years ago if you saved <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> old purple plate along with the registration <span style="font-style: italic">you (and only you)</span> could re-use it on another car. There was a several week waiting period between mailing in the request and it's effective date during which you couldn't drive the car, however, so few people did this (especially since the plates are all issue-number, no personalized plates allowed). I'd almost guarantee with the new white plates (which <span style="font-style: italic">are</span> laser timer friendly, they work on light reflection!) that this loophole has been or will soon be closed.

I was just hoping for your sake to find a way for you to have the purple plates you love.

Wonder what the vote would have been if they polled all the current holders of plates for antique vehicles if they asked purple or new design? Hmmm...... smirk.gif

Guest De Soto Frank

Al,

I am in the process of trying to get PA antique plates on a 50 year old Chevy Dump Truck (retired). It is a maintained survivor, and as such, does not look like a trailer queen; it also doesn't look like an abused "yard goat" either.

I checked into the limitations of use for trucks bearing PA antique plates (with PA DMV) and was told in no uncertain terms that any truck with an "Antique" plate may NOT carry any payload in the rear body, even if it's your own stuff, and not "for hire".

This includes taking your antique-tagged '64 Chevy pick-up down to Lowe's to bring home that new picnic table for the wife. frown.gif

(I'm sure some folks do it, but they're taking a chance)

Probably gets a little murky about people riding in the back for a Parade...

(your insurance carrier will probably take-over where the state leaves-off)

But if somebody's got an old beater actually working on an antique plate, they're taking a huge risk: if the cop doesn't spot them on the abuse of the antique plate, PUC just might hit then for "weight & compliance check", and then THEY"LL call the cop... blush.gif

IMHO, it's a risk that just not worth taking.

If this trucker is a friend or acquaintenance, give him hell for breaking the law; it it's a stranger, and you're sure they're actually hauling on an antique tag, report them. mad.gif

If I had a truck I planned on working, I would put a regular plate on it and go strictly legit.

This is one of the reasons I just keep regular plates on my drivers, even though the oldest driver is 64 years old, and my "new truck" is over 30 !

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of the Pennsylvania "TIGER" plates...Are people in other states supposed to believe PA has chosen the Bengal Tiger as our "state animal"? We have so many of those beasts running around in our forests smirk.gif

...and speaking of UGLY plates...the TRAIN PLATE! I DO have to admit I was tired of seeing the boring and usually beat-up blue and yellow plates, but now they've gone overboard with variety. (most of which are unsightly)

I recently purchased a car from my grandfathers estate and hoped to keep the plate he had on the car. I was told by the notary that all I needed was a note from the executor of his estate that the plate was no longer needed by my grandfather and then I could use the plate. I have not yet submitted the paperwork to PA DOT but with the advent of the new plates does this mean I cannot use the old "purple" plate?

Guest imported_jmarsicano

DKY- I dont think the process has changed, but I haven't been doing PennDOT stuff for a while now. Altough, you will still have to apply for the title and pay the appropriate fees attached.