40 running boards

Actually, running boards were optional in 1940, with many buyers opting for the hidden "stream boards" instead. If your car doesn't have running boards, check to see if you have a stream board equipped car. I'm not exactly sure how the running boards were attached in 1940, but if your car originally had running boards, there is probably some evidence of it somewhere (mounting brackets on the frame, mounting holes in the front and rear fenders, etc.). If there's no evidence of a running board, then your car probably has stream boards as original equipment and you can save a few bucks by not worrying about replacing running boards.

Confusing or helpful? Helpful, I hope. Good luck!

Sorry Matt

\1940 Special,Century, Limited all had running boards as standard equipment, with the stream boards as an option. The Super and Raodmaster had the new style body, without running boards.

The Special and Century were the same length boards, and the limited were longer.

Jim Schilf

palbuick

You're right, Jim. That's what I was trying to say. I didn't realize that the Super and Roadmaster didn't have running boards available at all. Hopefully we've answered this fellow's questions.

Thanks for the info--I learn something new every day!

Stream boards are a tad more "streamlined" (get it?!) than rubber vulcanized runningboards. They are thinner and tuck in closer to the body, and are all metal construction painted to match the car color. They dont stick out to the edge of the fenders or past them as do runningboards. Two or three metal rib strips on top running the lenth of the board and one mouling on the outer edge appro 1 3/4" tall.

Your teacher,

nickSS

runningboards are very common, good luck finding a "good used"set. most likely you have to get a pair redone. Streamboards are less common but can be found. Both styles were available on 39 and 40 models years.

see attached pic for what a streamboard looks like

Guys:

The 28 to 41 Buick Master Parts Book gives some interesting info on the streamboards (or "rocker finishing panel" ) as Buick named them in their service literature. The steamboards were available, starting in 1939, on the 40 and 60 Series only and at no extra charge. These were the new bodies for 39. I'm glad the picture of these was posted. They were available for all body styles for the Specials and Centuries. They are not hard to see pictured several times in the period advertising. When streamboards were used, a rubber gravel guard was attached to the front of the rear fender. Rear fenders for these jobs carried their own part number as there were holes drilled into the fender to attach the guards. In 1940 things changed a bit. The streamboards carry a different part number as you will recall that Buick changed the wheelbase on the 40 Series from 120" to 121".I'm not sure why the Century changed as it kept its 126" wheelbase.; but there it is in the parts book. The moldings of course were different between the 2 years and this is reflected in the part numbers as well. Interesting , too, is that the parts book lists the streamboards as available on the 40 and 60 Series, but in Gr. 8.304 lists the moldings necessary for these panels only for the open cars (41C,46C,61C,66C). No listing for the Coupes and Sedans. Remember this is the factory listing. What would you bet a dealer would be happy to put them on a closed car to make the sale?? Regarding the running boards, they were optional for the new 50-70 series bodies in 1940 only. The conversion package is listed under Gr. 8.299 part number 1393004 for 50 Series and 1393005 for the 70 Series. Running boards were standard on the 40, 60, 80 , and 90 Series. This is probably more than you wanted to know, but I learned a little bit here as well. At last years Auburn Auction, a 1939 46C was offered at a hefty price equipped with later model 15" wheels and LaSalle rocker finishing panels. Hope the buyer knew the difference.

I bought my '39 series 60 4door sedan about 20 years ago and it had the running boards it has now on it(in bad shape.) I've always been questioned by onlookers as to why the front of the two rear fenders have holes in them...I wonder if it's because it once had streamboards or the fenders were from a car that did. Was there any other reason for these mounting holes?

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't able to pull up your attachment for the picture, but your description seems correct. Twist tabs on back of the stoneshields fit thru those holes. If you don't mount streamboards, I'll bet there are some buyers out there for those fenders who would find you some standard ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nick,

Nice picture! If I may ask, how did you get such a large color pic to meet the "under 100K" limit for AACA picture posts? </div></div>

Its large but low quality. I think I also sized it to 75% in some photo program though.