Freeing a frozen engine

I have a 1936 Ford 1 1/2 ton truck with a frozen engine. Years ago I came across a formula with Marvel Mystery Oil mixed with automatic transmission fluid and kerosene.How or what are the methods/procedures for freeing a frozen engine?Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,Kevin.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

I've never done this, but I've read on a Hit and Miss Engine website that you can remove the head and pour about a 1/4" of bracke fluid on top of the piston and light it on fire. Supposedly, the heat will expand the cylinder. The liquid brake fluid will keep the piston cooler so the cylinder expands more than the piston. Also, the brake fluid acts as a penetrant to the rings while all this is going on. They are doing this on a single cylinder engine, so yours is a bit more complicated.

They also adapt a grease zerk to the spark plug holes and pump the cylinder full of grease The grease gun acts as a hydraulic pump to force the piston down. This would be even harder on a multicylinder engine, as you would need to remove the cam and crank to ensure the valves were closed and you weren't pressing on one cylinder more than another.

Probably none of this would help you, but I found the theories interesting.

I would avoid the grease gun method. That could cause major damage if more than just the piston is stuck. If it is only the piston, that may work great.

Pour marvel mystery oil or a heavy duty penetrant in and let it soak for as long as possible (read "weeks"). Remove the head and use a hammer and a piece of wood to firmly tap the cylinder until it beaks loose.

Like anything there are many ways to skin the perverbial cat. grin.gif

My husband discovered by accident that old gasoline mixed with used oil worked really well on a 1939 Dodge engine that we have. The previous owner had had the engine rebuilt and a few days later, someone "coked" it for him. He could not afford to have it redone so it went to a junk yard and sat for a few years.

Bill used a shaved down hardwood tree limb that was just the right size to fit into the cylinder and every day gave each piston a gentle tap until they came loose. Well, all but one of them. It was late and he was tired and he admitted he should have walked away. crazy.gif That one got a harder hit and it broke. frown.gif But the rest were fine. smile.gif

Kroil is a penetrating oil that works well for freeing up stuck mechanical parts. Another old timers trick is to pour Coca-Cola in the cylinders and let it soak for a while. The coke has carbolic acid in it that helps free things up. Plus a six pack is cheap. cool.gif

ASW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kroil is a penetrating oil that works well for freeing up stuck mechanical parts. Another old timers trick is to pour Coca-Cola in the cylinders and let it soak for a while. The coke has carbolic acid in it that helps free things up. Plus a six pack is cheap. cool.gif

ASW </div></div>

Small correction: carbolic acid is the old name for phenol, which is quite toxic and would cause serious harm or be fatal if ingested. Coca-Cola has phosphoric acid - like naval jelly.

Hope this helps...

A very simple formula is tincture of Iodine , 2% solution will do. This is commonly found on a farm or your local formulary. Pour about 1" above the piston that is frozen, let set a couple of days, the use a piece of good ol' pine board and a hammer, and remove the piston. Yes, it really works. My father-in-law used it for years. Worked really well on my '37 Cadillac!!! Try it, you'll like it!

Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would avoid the grease gun method. That could cause major damage if more than just the piston is stuck. If it is only the piston, that may work great. </div></div>

That is why I suggested to remove the crank. grin.gif

Let us know when you get it unstuck and what you did to free it.