Judging on Originality

l2111

When judging a car, a stock not modified car, would the radiator hose make a difference. I'am asking because i need a new hose and all the part store has are these new ribbed looking hoses. They have other hoses but none fit the exact shape i need.

Thanks, Leon

An incorrect hose will cost you two points. Incorrect clamps will cost you one point each up to a total of no more than ten points.

One point can keep you from getting an award you deserve. You must make the ten point spread from the highest scoring car to be a first (as long as it makes the minimum score also). And so on down the line for second and third.

So while two points for the hose does not seem like much, it can hurt you a lot unless otherwise it is a 400 point car. Then you can afford to blow off two points.

I suggest you try what I have done in the past. First get the auto supply guy to let you cozy up to the hose rack. Next find the proper diameter [inside] hose among the hundreds of pre formed parts hanging there. Then try to select one with the proper curvature somewhere along it's length with hopefully enough straight on either end of the curve to fit your need. Buy that hose and cut what you can use out of it. Not easy, but sometimes it will work.

hvs

That is the problem, it is two points per hose.

There are some excellent suggestions from folks as to how to come up with what you need.

Truthfully, most judges know what style of hose it should be more than what bends it should have. So if it comes to a choice, go with right hose wrong bends. You stand a better chance of not getting caught or at least not as many points off until you find the exact right one. grin.gif

Did we ever figure out if the car is being judged at an AACA National Meet? Howard's thoughts on hoses are golden-have done that for many years. Only problem is some of those furrin cars with odd size stuff on them - like my little 1935 Morris. I'll probably end up at a plumbing supply company for that one.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you taken a look at the judges manual that is posted here? Lots of good information there. </div></div>

I am re-formatting the manual to make it easier to read. I did not write it nor am I affiliated with it's content. I just wanted it to be more professional and easier to use. I have done tech writing, so it's hard for me to let an important document such as this go on in it's current state. I hope it does not upset anyone, I'm just trying to help out.

Look at the top left of this page and click on the main AACA title. Then look to the left and click on "Judging" and there should be a place to click for the 2005 Judges Manual. That is the only way that I know how to get to it. But it is easy to find once you know where to look.

Let me know if you don't find it but I bet you will.

It has always needed a better table of contents. And it needs a "quick reference" for important dates of when things first came into use.

I for one would like to see what you can do with it. I figure that any free help with it would be appreciated by the National.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has always needed a better table of contents. And it needs a "quick reference" for important dates of when things first came into use.

I for one would like to see what you can do with it. I figure that any free help with it would be appreciated by the National. </div></div>

That is 2 of the very things I was working on! The TOC will have clickable links to access any specific area. My fingers are crossed it will be accepted as free help for all.

John Bevins

John, AACA does appreciate your interest but it would be proper to discuss this with the head of Judges Training, Fred Young as the manual is HIS responsibility. There may be things you are not aware of including that this is a printed format and any changes could result in addtional costs to us during reprint time next year. Secondly, how the manual works on our website will be in part controlled by our web designer and webmaster. We have an all new site being prepared right now.

By the way, none of our Directors are paid!! Myself and our staff are full time employees but the work done on our judges program is done by hard working and dedicated people on behalf of all our members. Free is a word they are very accustomed to!

I will email you privately Fred's email address and I suggest you discuss your ideas with him. Again, we appreciate your interest and willingness to help but any changes must be approved and with the consent of Fred. Fred has to answer to the Vice-President of Judging and a large Judging committee. These checks and balances are critical to our judging program.

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am new to all judging and events and just wanted to know about them. My Roadmaster is original and was thinking on entering it in a show or two. I appreciate the feed back.

Thanks, Leon </div></div>

ROADMASTER!! whell why didn't you say so Marine!! Why don't you try

CARS

BOBS

Kanter

They's got mos anythin you'll need fur a ROADMASTER and if not give me a PM...

semper fi dude wink.gif