Bristol Dpuble Declker Bus judging questions

Guest Mark G

Hi I have a 1962 Bristol Lodekka Double Decker bus I would like to bring to Herhsey this year. I was wondering what class this would be and how would you judge this, and what would I have to bring to prove the restoration was done back to original conditions of the bus.

I have some origianl pictures and some manuals would this be enough or what would I need?

Also is there a hight max for the field entry. This bus is 13ft. 3 ½ inches high, To get there I have to go all the old roads since the MPH is only 38-40 max.

I'm bringing the bus this year even if it's not entered for show and it will be in the White Field as my booth is there.

Just wondering what you said that you had to delete it , I was just asking questions not hard feelings would have been held if I didn't agree with you on something.

So here I am fixing this huge bus and not knowing where t o enter it in the fields.

A double decker bus?? God bless you man!! My father and I are currently doing a fire truck and there are people telling us that we're nuts for doing that. To do a bus, let alone a foreign built bus that is double decker takes a lot of time and dedication. I give you a lot of credit for tackling that project and I look forward to seeing it.

Not sure. I am wondering if it was an accident that it was removed. I had only asked if your bus was over or under one ton as the classes are divided that way.

I tried to send you an e-mail with the information about both classes but it was returned.

Send an e-mail to me at billandsusanlinden@charter.net and I will resend it to you. I copied the information out of the judges manual and will be happy to send it to you.

Now Shop Rat, do you really need someone to tell you the difference between an English double decker bus and a pick up truck in order to know in what class it belongs.

I can't see where the problem lies. 1962 model over 1 ton --- Class 22f

Right from the book.

"22f Commercial vehicles and ambulances load capacity 1 ton and over(D) Note D States "Commercial Vehicles" are basically trucks and busses of any kind.

Now that wasn't all that hard was it?

hvs

Thanks David. smile.gif This tells me that I should and will henceforth avoid any involvement in or discussion of judging matters.

Gee, I thought they might be holding class 37 for the Hot Rods smirk.gifgrin.gif

But at least I still know a double decker bus from a pick up truck. grin.gifgrin.gif

Sorry if I caused any confusion. frown.gif

Howard

The class that I judged at Hershey last fall had a bus in it, and I want to say the answer would be "yes." If there is a seat that is torn, you deduct points, times the number of seats that are torn. The same applies to tires. If the truck has ten wheels, then you deduct for each wheel where a car would only be four.

...Maybe I'm wrong, but based on my last experience, that is what I recall.

David ~ I got to thinking last night that I might not have been incorrect on the class of that bus [22f] after all. I don't mind being wrong, but now in this case I don't think I was. I think you are misreading class 37.

The pink notice received in one of my Meet registrations is headed "AACA Judging Class Changes." At the bottom are classes 37a &37b and specifically say "PROFESSIONAL VEHICLES." Below that it reads, "Professional vehicles include ambulances, funeral vehicles, taxis and police cars"

In no way does this include busses which DO NOT fit the definition of professional vehicles.

I therefore stand by my position that the bus in question belongs in class 22f until some member of the Judging Committee advises me otherwise.

Maybe I'm not so far behind the times as you think. Possibly there is still some value in having the old pharts who were there way back when, and who helped write the rules, around to interpret things for those who have come along more recently. A little background helps in interpreting the evolution of the judging system.

I just hope we haven't confused the hell out of the owner of this bus.

Howard

OK first off thanks for the answers to some of my questions , But since this is a Double decker bus do the judges have the right to go up stairs to see how many seats are ripped.

I am fixing this on a limited budget so this year I may or may not show the bus it will be located in the White Field in Booths WCN 5&6 or some where else if I get the extra booths I'm asking for.

But if not I'm staying right where I have been for 7 years.

Ok on to the weight of this bus it aproximately 5 tons , it's all Alumnium and wood frame work and lots of windows. Come take a look at it this year, I may have the out side re painted but not the inside finished completely. Since this is a Bristol and made in Bristol England parts have been a heck of a thing to find. But I'm finding them a little here and a little there and traveling all around to find them. If you wantt osee whatt he bus looks like right now and follow along with the restoration here's my web page for the Bus

http://www.ttparts.net/bus.htm

To the fellow doing the fire truck , they all are fun to do , this was a free bee ,I saved it from the jaws of death , it was headed for a crusher when I stopped the tow truck it was attached to. and told him I would pay for the towing back to my place if he would do that. and he did. My wife calls it the MONEY PIT , I started doing small stuff and a lot of research, I have almost the entire history of the bus missing a few years in 1986-1991 But I think I know where it was during those years but can not prove it yet.

I have Glass glazing coming fro Mansfield England , the new Seat frabric coming from London, the front cowl coming from Wales and a whole buch of other parts from all over. I think I got everything covered except How I'm getting to Hershey from where I live since the bus only goes 38-40 MPH I'm not too sure I want to drive on Rt 81 .

I'll keep you all posted .

Thanks again for the answers

Mark Golding

Mark ~ If you put it on the field to be judged, the judges are required to, and will, judge every part of the vehicle, upstairs and downstairs. However, they cannot lift floorboards and such to see underneath.

hvs

Could this bus have been in York, PA at some point in the past? There was a double decker that sat in a field along Route 30 near Wrightsville for a few years, red in color. A local restauranteur was going to use it as an attraction at his downtown York eatery but I believe he couldn't get the necessary permits.

that red bus is now in Pittston, Pa and owned by Cooper Seafood as a display that way. It's a 1956 Bristol rear entry.

Nice to Know others spot these buses around this one was in WilkesBarre Pa for a few years and used by Market street square resturants as a way of transporting folks from the center of town to the resturants and bars .

There are a few others sitting on the sides of roads and there is one off of Rt 81 in Va. nothing left of that one woeth salvaging.

I know about the one in Va. It used to be in downtown Charleston, W. Va. along with a matchmate one. Not sure where the other one ended up. They used to sit in front of a restaurant. We pass it every weekend during race season headed to Coeburn, Va. with our Legends racecar. Haven't seen it up close to know how much of the original equipment is still there.