Spy Shots: New Buick Lucerne

Centurion

Some guys on another forum tied into the web cams that have been set up at the Chicago Auto Show. They've captured a few shots from a Buick monitor that has been set up, with views of the new Lucerne -- the front-wheel drive replacement for the LeSabre and Park Avenue. One of the shots of the engine shows that the available V8 will be a Northstar. And here's the best exterior shot so far:

1107680780286673.jpg

Guest my3buicks

hhmm, I went over to the other site and looked at some more of the shots - can't wait to see good clear shots, it's appears very nice - portholes are right out of the Velite. The other site talk as if the Lucerne is basically the old Cadillac SLS. don't know if that is true or not.

Keith, the comment that the car is basically the old Cadillac SLS refers, I think, to the fact that this is a sleekly styled front-drive sedan with Northstar. (The SLS's replacement -- the new STS -- is rear drive and significantly more expensive than this.)

My understanding is that the Lucerne will be the first car to receive the new six-speed automatic transmission.

Guest bkazmer

I don't see any cross-shopping with CTS, even if the prices are similar - different "point" to each vehicle. No new ground being broken here, but let's see if GM leaves this as Buick-only or starts badge-engineering.

Hey Centurion,, Thanks for posting this. I am very much interested to see what this car will really look like, ie: on the dealers lot. Looks like I'll be in the market this year, and am seriously considering this model.

JohnD

I HOPE it's not in the same price point as the SLS/STS (whatever)!!! But then I went into the Pontiac website and discovered that a fully loaded Bonneville GXP was within sneezing distance to $40K!!!!! Yikes!!!!

There's a good bit of info on the whys and such on the 6-speed automatic in the GMPowertrain website. Or at least it was there last week. Kind of interesting, but it also has a "generic" final drive ratio orientation too, if I read it correctly. I thought we got along just fine with 3-speed automatics and then the current 4-speed automatics with electronic controls. And now we've got to have SIX??? But then I remember when 16" wheels were 3/4 ton pickup truck items too.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

It's only one photo, but to me it looks like an excellent response to what Chrysler was doing 7 or 8 years ago. Isn't that when <span style="font-style: italic">they</span> went belly-up and sold out to a smaller company? confused.gif

That said it could be a very attactive car. If it's as well made as the Lexus it's supposed to compete with then we'll all be better off (and an attractive but dated appearance won't matter).

Guest my3buicks

and exactly when did the Crysler 300 become the standard of the world for what cars are supposed to look like? Like some of the 300's of the past decade, I think the new 300 will date it's self rather quickly. New and "trendy" will sell lots of cars at first to the people that need to be noticed, but my bets are on the more traditional but yet contemperary designs winning out in the long run.

This will replace the LeSabre, though there will be a partial or full year overlap. It is on the same G body platform that LeSabre, Bonneville has been on. It will be the sister or brother car to the DTS which is what the Deville will now be called. It is not CTS RWD or STS RWD related but DTS(Deville) related. Northstar will be one engine, still dont know what base engine will be.

Its a big reach to see old Chrysler in this car though there were similaritys of the era between GMs and Chrysler of the era. but consider - -

We should have good shots later tonight.

The next truely "new" Buick car will be all new, new platform and RWD.