KEEPING MICE OUT OF STORED CARS??

Guest dhunter41

Guest dhunter41

IF ANYONE KNOWS OF SUCCESSFUL WAYS TO KEEP MICE OUT OF STORED CARS (OTHER THAN SOAP OR MOTH BALLS), I'D SURE BE PROUD TO HEAR FROM YOU. THANKS.

Darn, Mr. Chapman beat me to it,<BR>I think his suggestion should be taken seriously, though, it really does work for me. Just make sure and get them spayed or neutered, or you will replace the mouse problem with a cat problem.<BR>Perry BCA (don't have my number at the moment).

If the car is put up for the winter, a really good job of winterizing should work:<BR>Plug/cover the exhaust pipe, carb opening, etc.<BR>Then seal off the body: cover heater inlet hoses, the drain hole in the bottom of the spare tire well, etc.<BR>There are also those Car Capsules. I haven't used one, but I've seen them. That actually seems like the most thorough way to do it.<BR>A ring of mouse poison pellet on the ground encircling the car might also work. Unless you've got kids or other pets.<BR>-Brad

How about leaving a battery operated radio in the car with some loud modern top hit music playing?<BR>The mice will do one of two things:<BR>1)disappear after listening to the music for a few seconds<BR>or<BR>2)die from overexertion after dancing all night<P>AK Buickman.....

About the dryer sheets.....what exactly do you do with them.....just lay them about? How many and where. Thanks.

The garlic works well for vampires, too. <BR>I once read that in the far east, where they have the mosquitto netting around the beds, that they put little pans with crushed glass and water under each foot of the bed to keep critters from climbing up the bed posts. The glass would work if the car was on jack stands. How desperate are you, I guess. <BR>Or jack stands with something like the inverted funnels people put on their bird feeder poles to keep the squirrels from climbing the poles and eating the seed.<BR>So how's that for bizarre suggestions that might actually work?!<BR>The only problem with mouse poison is cats often eat the poisoned mice, and then the cat dies. <BR>-Brad

Guest 70 Electra

I've used a Car Bag (with dessicant) for years on my cars. They're great! No rodents, no dust, no moisture. In the spring, the car looks just like when you put it away---don't even get rust on brake rotors!!<P>Only downside is that you don't have regular access to the car during the storage period. (You're not supposed to unzip bag during storage, as it lets in moisture and "uses up" the dessicant charge).<P>The outfit I got my bags from is in Bath Michigan. It's a mom and pop outfit and they make the bags locally. They have a website: <A HREF="http://www.carbag.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.carbag.com</A>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My problem isn't meeces- it's <B>spiders!</B>and there's a bumper crop of the little buggers this year! I rarely actually see any on or in the cars, but going into the storage units... Time I get the car open I'm wrapped up in spiderwebs. Any ideas?<P>55Steve- you're feeding the cat too well. Hide the Meow Mix and he'll go after the meeces.<p>[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: rocketraider ]

I still can't tell my wife about the black widow spiders that took up in the '54 when it was parked behind our shop for a couple of months--she'd never ride in the car again. Just driving seems to make other spiders abandon ship after a few days.<BR>The black widows got carb-cleanered when I was working on the car to get it back on the road.<BR>1:30 in the morning, the car's on a lift, and baby black widows start dropping out of the chassis by the dozens and dozens while I'm running new fuel lines. (I'd already sprayed the 8 adults I found) So I brake out the carb cleaner, nuke them, and while I'm getting up in the hidden spots, I wake up the BABY RATTLE SNAKE that's also taken up residence! Carb cleaner makes them feisty. It literally shot out of the chassis toward my head.<BR>Not a fun night. I hate Florida.<BR>I'll take meeces any day.<BR>-Brad

• 1 month later...
Guest krauseheim

I'm a little late for the "Keep the mice out" advice. After four years in storage, my '53 Buick Super reeks of mouse pee. It's been a challenge finding all the nooks and crannies where these guys hung out, and I've taken apart everything I've dared to, shopvac'd, shampoo'd and sprayed/brushed with OdoBan (available at Sam's Club). The car still reeks. My next stunt will be an ozone generator. Other stunts I've heard of that are supposed to banish the odors include vinegar, Febreeze, charcoal and garlic...I haven't tried these, and don't want to until someone tells me they'll work. I suspect, however, that I haven't located all the "odor sources", i.e. dead mice and mouse nests. I pulled the back seat and seat back and back side panels off, and took care of the two vent inlets under the dash too, spraying every surface I can find with OdoBan. Where else should I be looking? The car smells, and when it's moving, it REALLY smells. Anyone know of the Grand Cure for getting rid of the smell? It stinks so bad I have to drive with my head hanging out the window like a hairy dog on a hot day. By the way, did I mention that my car smells?

Tom Heimerman

Shoreview, Minnesota

BCA Member