Strange Wire Underhood

1992ToronadoGuy

I was poking around, trying to fix my Rivs many problems when I stumbled across a weird wire that isn't connected to anything under the hood. It is a red wire, with a green connector., and it resembles the RKE grounding wire, except with a different color. It is on the drivers side, near the intake. Look at the pics ( couldn't get them to attach, sorry ) please, and tell me what this wire does. Just curious. I haven't been able to trace it.

598209_103_full.jpg

598209_104_full.jpg

Thanks.

Guest kennyw

back in 1984 when we started making the astro mini van here in Baltimore Maryland we were not told about this connector. We cranked and cranked the motor until it finally got fuel and started. Someone touring the plant ask why we were not using this feature? Right after that a jumper wire from the battery to the connector was added to one guys job and [surprize] the motor started on the first turn or two. Baltimore was the only plant to make this van. At one time we were making 54 or 56 an hour 16 to 20 hours a day with two shifts. Now they are down to less than 30 an hour with one shift and the plant will close sometime this year. A nice run of over 20 years for one model. Something of a record I think. This is the oldest plant in the u.s.a. for Gm. Open in 1935-----to 2005....ken

Maybe am odd (I fill oil filters before installing) but wouldn't it be a good idea for a brand new engine to crank until you have oil pressure before starting ? Is my procedure now that I can no longer stick a shaft on a drill into the distributer hole and spin until pressure cones up.

Thank you (again) Barney and Padgett. I have seen that connector also and didn't know what it was for. With all my parts cars when I needed to empty a gas tank I would take a relay, break it open, put in in place of the good fuel pump relay and then jam it operated to pump all the gas out of the tank. Now I can just use that connector.

On a side note about not having the engine start until there is oil pressure, my '88 Chev truck has that feature and I wish it didn't. If the truck has been off for a couple of hours it takes about 5 or more seconds of cranking before the engine starts.

My '78 Sunbird had the same "feature" and with dual 4bbl AFBs (four float bowls) it took forever until I added a "prime" button on the dash. Key on, push button, wait 5 seconds, then start. Also had to add a "T" fitting to the sensor to have both gas and a mechanical guage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">92 Riv,,,,,

You have a cone air filter installed in the pictures....is this on a Reatta or a Rivie and is it a store bought rig or something you made ............. can you explain please????

Thanks,,,,

Nic </div></div>

Its on my Riv, but it would work on a Reatta.

All I did was look on ebay under "Aurora intake", and bought it for under $20. It is basically just a 3" steel tube with an APC cone. For the collar, I just cut the end off of the factory rubber hose, as the new one didn't come with one. There are nicer, polished aluminum ones that come with the temp sensor hole already drilled, and nice rubber collars, but on this one, I had to drill the temp sensor hole myself. Then I just bought a generic temp sensor and siliconed it in, as I couldn't get the factory sensor out of the intake box, without breaking it. ( rusty )

As far as power, I havent noticed any difference, but it adds a little intake growl.

Thanks guys for the help with the wire, its nice to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe am odd (I fill oil filters before installing) but wouldn't it be a good idea for a brand new engine to crank until you have oil pressure before starting ? Is my procedure now that I can no longer stick a shaft on a drill into the distributer hole and spin until pressure cones up. </div></div>

Engines come to the assembly plants pre-primed. They test for oil pressure at the engine plant.