Chrome preparation question

WillBilly53

You should take as much apart as you can.<BR>Send it out just like it looks, dirty, rusty etc. <P>Its amazing what the platers can do, but they like the pieces apart.<P>Best bet is to talk to your plater, go see his work and take a piece with you.

Howdy,<BR>Having plating done on most of the parts on two Buicks via several different platers, I feel I can safely add this to your war chest:<BR>INSIST on seeing several pieces of BEFORE and AFTER work from the plater. If he hesistates, even for a moment, THERE IS A PROBLEM!!!!<BR>Reputable platers are extremely PROUD of their work and love to show it off. I took some stuff that was badly pitted, rusted, and looked like JUNK to a plater in Eastpoint, MI a few months ago and it came back looking factory new. I've also taken stuff that wasn't in too rough shape and had it come back looking worse.<BR>BUYER BEWARE if you don't see the work and (better yet) get a few references of finished work so you can speak to the owners.<BR>If the plater is proud of his work, he won't mind one little bit.<BR>Hope you have the best of luck!!<BR>And, as a youngster, welcome to the wonderful world of restoring BUICKS!!<BR>Best,<BR>Bob Leets grin.gif" border="0

hey billy<BR> take this for what it is worth. I have done alot of work on high end classic like 30-33 Chrysler Imperials and Senior Packards most of them fetch over $100,000. I'll tell you this just like a good paint job ANY I MEAN ANY imperfections are going show like a sore thumb if they aren't addressed at step 1, this means grinding marks, pits, scratches etc. these should all be sanded out first which a good shop will do. <BR> When you look a chrome look at it on an oblique angle and turn it in the light if its not right (just like paint thats not sanded properly) you will see ripples, flat spots and waves, even though the shine is great.<BR> Of cousre the better the job the higher the price because of the labor. next time you at a show look carefully at chrome jobs a little study you'll see whats good and what's not.

Guest AWBE

Willy----Who are you going to use for the plating---there is only one in Alabama that I know of. Sorry I missed you in Charleston---My Kids had our whole stay programmed.

alright,<BR> i want to send some trim pieces, hood ornament, bumpers, and other stuff out to be rechromed. <P>how should i prepare these pieces?<BR>do i sand down to bare metal?<BR>it looks as thought the previous owner had sprayed that chrome spray paint on them and the paint has started chipping and stuff. and there's also little bits of surface rust.<P><BR>thanks!

okay. so i just take a part EVERYTHING and just send it in rusty and chipping.<P>okay. my next question is. do you guys happen to know of any reputable platers in my area (charleston, sc) i didn't see any in Hemmings Motor News close enough for me to go check out.<P>also, i know this is expensive, but does anybody have a ball park figure for say a front bumpter and grille (not show quality - i want this to be a daily driver)<P>thanks!!!<BR>will e.<P>thanks ralee for the welcome!<BR>i'm enjoying every minute on here and out in the car port with my car!<P>hey awbe,<BR>no worries. i understand. i mean, i don't have kids, but if my parents came to visit me i would like to spend as much time as i could with them.<p>[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: willbilly53 ]