1964 Buick LeSabre Stationwagon

The Oregonian

I'm trying to find out information on a 1964 Buick LeSabre station wagon I just purchased. It's a super wildcat 425, with cruise control, power windows and seats, power steering and brakes, air conditioning, AM/FM radio and quad horn. Any information anyone can provide me about this car would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oregonian, congratulations on your purchase of the '64 Estate Wagon, and welcome to the forum.

This sounds like a heavily-optioned car, and I would expect that only a handful would have had the Super Wildcat 425. Since you indicate that it has the Super Wildcat, I assume that it has the dual carburetor set-up with the chromed, two-snorkel air cleaner and the finned aluminum valve covers? Do you know anything of the car's history? Is this an original Oregon car? Are there papers with the car that document the original options?

The information I have shows that 6,517 were built in the two-seat style (model 4635) and 4,003 were built in the three-seat style (model 4645).

I know that the Super Wildcat 425 was available in the Wildcat, Electra 225, and Riviera series cars for '64. I do not have literature for the '64's, but I had not realized that the Estate Wagon offered this option. Still, the model numbers for the LeSabre wagons suggest that they actually rode the Wildcat chassis rather than the LeSabre chassis, so the availability of the Super Wildcat makes sense. Perhaps some of the '64 owners on the forum can confirm this.

The published production breakdowns do not list the numbers produced with various options, including engine options. You might find it useful to contact the Buick Gallery and Research Center at the Sloan Museum in Flint, Michigan. They may be able to provide you with the number of '64 Estate Wagons equipped with the Super Wildcat. Again, I would expect the number to be extremely low, and there are probably only a tiny number of surviving cars that are so-equipped.

We would enjoy hearing more about the car, and hope that you can attach a photo for us!

Here's another interesting footnote about these cars -- These were the last of the "full-size" Buick wagons until a new Buick Estate Wagon appeared in 1970. The '64 full-size wagons were the last to have bodies built by Ionia Body Manufacturing Co. (a division of the Mitchell-Bentley Corporation) in Owosso, Michigan. The Estate Wagon bodies (from the cowl back) were transported by truck to the Buick assembly plant in Flint, where the Ionia body was mated to the Buick chassis and the Buick front fenders, hood, and grille were added. So, the Estate Wagons were unique for the era in that they were the only regular production Buicks that lacked bodies supplied by GM's Fisher Body division. Check the door sill plate on your Estate Wagon; I believe that these say "Ionia Body" rather than display the usual Fisher Body coach emblem.

Neat car!

For what it's worth, I was studying my original 1964 so called "Prestige Full-line Sales Catalog" on this point. It states on page 62 (this is near the rear, where they list all the specs and availabilities) that the Super Wildcat 360 HP 2x4 BBL is available on: "Wildcat, Electra, Riviera, and LeSabre Estate Wagons."

Interestingly, in the "Engine Section" on page 16 where they are bragging on the various engines, the sales pitch text states that the Super Wildcat engine is "Available as extra cost equipment on Riviera, Electra, and Wildcat models..." (doesn't mention the wagon). But then the "Wagon Section" description (page 37) does say "or you can choose from options up to 360 horsepower."

It goes on in the "specs and applications" Section to state that the standard engine for LeSabre is the Wildcat 310 [i.e, the 300 cu in with 2 BBL] with an asterisk and footntoe "Except LeSabre Estate Wagons which have the Wildcat 445 (as the standard engine)." [i.e, the 401 4 BBL]. It then further states under optional engines that the only available upgrade engine for the LeSabre is the Wildcat 355 (high compression 300 w/ 4 BBL); "except Estate Wagons" - which have the availability of either the single or double 4 BBL 425 cu in, as above.

Another way of saying it is, the LeSabre Estate Wagon has the <span style="font-style: italic">identical</span> engine availability as Wildcat, and has nothing to do with the LeSabre engine line-up.

Don't mean to beat this to death, thought it was kind of interesting. Obviously, the wagon was expected to see heavier duty than LeSabre.

Don W.

Wooster, OH

The LeSabre Wagon was a "46" series car, like the Wildcats. I requested info on the Wildcats and rcvd info on the Wagons. I summarized the details from the Daily Car Report that I find interesting, which is Super Wildcat engines, 4-speeds and a/c. I made a spread sheet. See attachment! Hope it helps, it shows 56 of the 4635 and 38 of the 4645 Wagons came with the dual quad engine.

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36582&highlight=1964+wildcat

Hi All

I had one of those wagons, 401 with dual quads, Air, windows, cruise, bucket seats, rear window wiper, posi, forgot what else. Bought off street for $100.00 and drove home. only thing missing was chrome air cleaner.

Sold motor and trans , stripped rest of car for my 63 Invicta wagon and junked it. Think I might have a few pieces lying around garage.

JIm Schilf

palbuick

• 7 years later...

We owned a '64 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon my whole childhood, from brand new, until we sold it in 2004. It was the same color as the one pictured here but had a gold roof color, chrome on the door posts, a full side trim and nicer hub caps. I know a few facts about the car, it definitely had a 445 Wildcat engine, and it was an Ionia body. My parents always said that Iona made ambulance bodies, so this car was rare, and very well-built. Yours sounds like it is loaded! Ours only had the power rear window and rear heat, as far as options go, other than specially-ordered vinyl upholstry that looked like tooled-leather. We moved to Colorado shortly after we bought the car in Peoria, IL - and my parents wanted a "western" look LOL:o. We loved that car like it was family, and we pulled a travel trailer behind it for most of the 60s and 70s. It was in pretty sad shape by 2004 and we sold it for parts.

post-84073-143138897722_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

Here's the Ionia body plate from a '57 Caballero Estate Wagon. It's attached to the front seat side trim, on the passenger side.

I'm yearning to see the photos of your '64 but the pipe on my Motel 6 wifi (in Idaho Falls) must be too small to let me view them. I'll have to spend more for accommodation, wherever I end up tomorrow night.

Is there anyone on the Forum tonight, who lives along I-15 between Idaho Falls ID and Helena MT and who would like some unexpected company tomorrow? Must be willing to talk about old Buicks.

post-59990-143138899115_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

OREGONIAN, nope, I can't see your photos at my next wifi stop either. Don't know if any others are having the same trouble but I'd appreciate if you would post them in a Forum album. It's pretty easy.

At the top of the webpage, right under the blue AACA banner, pick the box USER CP (stands for Control Panel). Under NETWORKING, pick PICTURES & ALBUMS. Then pick ADD ALBUM and follow the basic directions. You first set a description of what the album is going to be about. The first photo you upload becomes the Album Cover. You then keep loading photos and providing captions for them, if you like.

The advantage of creating albums is that you and your Forum pals (us) can always find your photos of a particular subject, without having to search through all your past posts. For some of us, who are badly afflicted with Forum Fever, that can be quite a haystack.

There is a way to limit who can see your album, although that kind of goes against the grain of what this Forum - and this hobby - is all about. Still, it might have a special purpose.

Guest Rob McDonald

HAH! That's hilarious! Ben, I got caught in the stale date trap! After eight years, it's no wonder the photos won't download. Chalk it up to wagon mania.

• 2 years later...