Rear main bearing oil seal

'53 Windsor

Hi,

As some of you know, I got a '53 Chrysler Windsor a few months ago. Great car!

Anyway, it's been dripping for a while, and I've decided that it's time to do something about it. I'm pretty sure it's the rear main bearing. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions about how to replace this seal without pulling the engine.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, My first car was a 1952 Chrysler Windsor. I loved it. My old Packard drips at the back seal a little also now that the car is being driven more. I am hoping that driving the car will tighten the seal. I suspect that the seal has dried out. My Packard manual explains that the real seal can be changed with the engine in the car by dropping the oil pan and carefully turning out the crankshaft bearing supports a 1/2 turn at a time until the crank is about 1/2" below top bearing supports . The seal can then be pulled out and after the new top half is pressed into proper shape with a 1/2 round wooden block the same diameter of the crank and using the lower support as a guide. After being formed it is pushed back up and around the upper support. I imagine that your Chrysler would be much the same only with 4 less main bearing caps to loosen. I am wondering if any of the new seal rejuvenators might be worth a try or would they not work on the old rope type seals.

Guest Albert

Go to you local auto parts supplier/tools and ask them for a "Sneaky Pete" it's a kit for removing and replacing the rear mains without removing the crankshaft. There is what looks like a corkscrew to grab the end of the old seal to remove it and a wire that sneaks over the seal area and clips on to the new seal to help pull it back in.

Randall, it should work on your Caddy. It helps to have someone turn the crank in the direction that you're pulling the seal out and likewise back in. Most places that carry Lisle tools should have one.

Albert and JT, Thanks for that! I had heard of the sneaky pete come to think of it. I wasn't looking forward to slowly unscrewing those 9 main bearings smile.gif. I'll give it a try when driving season is over.

i had my "petrifed" rear main seal replaced in my '58 cadillac about three years ago. The $400 fix, only lasted that long. My engine had a bad "blow by", and the pressure blew out the seal again. After the CLC national, and four quarts of oil to get home, I pulled the engine.

It's only a quick fix, that only get worse.

you might want to check with other chrysler"its" to see if a lip type seal is available for your car. The materials that are used to make the modern replacement rear main and font main rope type seals break down and cause early failure (2-4 YEARS) I got this wonderful news from a manufacurer of gaskets for older cars.

Bill

We've changed the rear oil seal twice on a '47 Cadillac using the "sneaky Pete" method. Worked well. Don't remember the exact details but we finally stopped the leaking by using a Mercedes rear oil seal recommended to the owner by someone at CLC. As I remember the hardest part was removing the oil pan.