Metropolitan Damaged at Local Cruise

Guest Skyking

Guest Skyking

Last night I went to a weekly cruise in my town. The spot we have this cruise is in a very nice shopping area. I was parked against a wall that leads to an upper road. Some kids were above and threw a large rock down into the parking area and it hit my car. There were over 300 cars parked in this area. I was sitting in front of the car when I heard this loud noise, turned around and saw this 5"x5" piece of road tar crashing all over my Met. These kids were probably 75 feet up and by the time the cops (who were patrolling the area) got up there the kids were gone. My insurance agent who also owns a 62 Starfire was there and took pictures and a copy of the police report. The rock hit the roof and landed on the hood. He said the insurance will pay to have it fixed. Now the car is sitting in the garage waiting for the adjuster to look at it. Although I did all the work on this car, I'll end up fixing it myself. What ticks me off is these kids got off scott free. We never got to see their faces, they were too far away.

I had my first restoration vandalized at a Ford dealer's repair lot before I ever got to show it. It just plain sucks. mad.gif Hopefully they'll be able to do something about the facility to stop something like this from happening again. Sorry to hear about this, Skyking. frown.gif

Sorry to here about your car. Nothing worse then having a major setback when the season is just getting started. It could have been worse, read on.

In the past we have had a on and off string of kids throwing rocks from overhead bridges to the expressways around here. Causing major damage and accidents. It got to the point guards were assigned to the overpasses and it finally ceased. No one got killed until about year ago when they threw one onto a minivan and killed a 35 year old mother in front of her husband and 2 children.

I'm fairly sure they got off with a slap on the wrist as they did finally catch them. Their defense was "they were to young to know the consequences of a rock striking a vehicle driving 55 MPH". I think they were 12 to 14 years of age.

I was very sorry to hear about your mishap, Sky. Mishap is such a light term for what those little monsters did. It makes me literally sick to think of it, and to know it happens all of the time.

Children have no consequences to their actions any more. They are such a protected species that they grow up coddled and left to develop with no idea how to live in a society with other people. We look to the schools to educate them and keep them safe, to the law to bring them up, and to everyone else for blame when they fall. Through the very best of intentions, from the 60s on, we have bred a population of social relativists with no expectation of consequence for behavior other than jail or fines. Kids have always acted with disregard to others safety but at least adults at one time could teach them otherwise. Now you cannot for fear of reprisal.

We have done it to ourselves. The inmates now rule the asylum.

The very best of luck on your repairs. I hope all goes well so you can show and enjoy your Metropolitan this season.

Guest Skyking

Thanks guys for all the kind words. Ron Green is right at saying it could have been worst. That rock could have hit a child or person and the results could have been deadly. My 6 year old grandson was there earlier near the car. In all my years at car shows & cruises, I never witnessed this kind of behavior before. Times are certainly changing............thanks again!

• 4 months later...
Guest imported_CarFreak

That is terrible! Something happened to me about a dozen years ago also intentional but done by members of my own car club!

I was at the National Meet for our club. I had just finished restoration on my car (literally the day before and drove all night to get to the show). I had it backed into a parking spot against the host hotel, unfortunately directly underneath the hospitality room. A couple members of our local region trying to be funny and/or attract my attention threw some cookies down at me. Of course you know that they hit my car! I was very upset to say the least. These were two couples that should have known better. They felt bad and apologized but it goes to show you that even grown ups aren't very smart some times. Fortunately I was able to rub out the minor scratches on the decklid but needless to say I moved my car to the other side of the parking lot.

A recent post ("Car Show Etiquette") is another experience that I had with that same well-known National GM marque club this summer - I guess that I am going to give up bringing my cars to their shows!!!

http://www.aaca.org/ubbthreads/showflat....rt=1#Post254033

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys for all the kind words. Ron Green is right at saying it could have been worst. That rock could have hit a child or person and the results could have been deadly. My 6 year old grandson was there earlier near the car. In all my years at car shows & cruises, I never witnessed this kind of behavior before. Times are certainly changing............thanks again! </div></div>

You've been much to nice about this Skyking. Always be prepared for this kind of situation by carrying a couple of hand grenades with you at all times. LOL mad.gif

Oh, here's a site you can go to and pick up some handy napalm canisters at.

http://www.napalm.net/

It continues to shock me what downright bad examples some "adults" set for their kids. I have two adult step-kids, each with a son and daughter now. They and their kids respect other peoples property. The grandkids range in age from almost 19 to 1 1/2. We have always been able to take them anywhere. laugh.gif

And it never ceases to amaze me that the minute you ask or put up a sign asking someone not to do something, they are going to do it or die trying. Just to show you that they can. mad.gif I collect aluminum cans in different places to pay for the spaying/neutering of animals people take in. I have signs asking that they not put trash or garbage in with the cans. There is always a trash can beside the bin I collect the cans in. There is always trash and worse, garbage, in with the cans. I know it is done on purpose to be mean.