Buick's future

I have read somewhere that GM North America says Buick is non-core(businesswise) and there are no replacements for the LeSabre and possibly other Buicks. Is this all true?

Haven't heard much lately with all the other realignments, but will let everyone here know if I see or hear anything interesting, don't alway have the inside track, but sometimes they let us GM people know a few things ahead of the rest of the world. With Lutz in charge now, everything appears to be changing from what we were privy too last year, so I don't venture to predict, cause the slate has been cleared and anything is possible now! Roberta

Buick sales were up last year. LeSabre greatly increased it's sales lead over it's Japanese competitor, the Toyota Avalon. Buick sold about 407,xxx units in 2001. All this with no Riviera, no performance model (ALA the GN), no Bengal, no advertising for the excellent Park Avenue, trying to sell the questionable-looking Rendevous, and news of the cancelation of the popular Century... and now possibly the LeSabre ?!?!?!?!?!?!?<P><B>WHAT DOES GM WANT FROM BUICK??</B>

Ask the Oldsmobile crowd- they went from being the gadget and advanced engineering division to being the import fighter. Now GM corporate is trying to position Pontiac as the import fighter, and we see what that got Oldsmobile when they couldn't dent Japanese sales. At least Buick Division still have some identity and are being allowed to go after their traditional market, which even though it tends toward geriatric, works well for them.<P>Looks like GM is still having trouble understanding its youth market too- 30 years ago, any kid bagging groceries could buy and insure a sporty, performance oriented GM vehicle. Now, no one can afford a GM performance car that isn't making $30k a year, so most of the Firebirds and Camaros I see are driven by women in their 50s. Around here, the drug dealers and pimps keep the Cadillac dealer in business buying Escalades. The kids have to go import, because they're affordable, have sporty styling and there's beaucoup aftermarket perfomance support for the things- kinda like it was for American cars, not that many years ago!

Guest Skyking

I often wonder, if our cars were out selling the Japanese cars in their country, how long would their government allow it to happen......

I'd like to suggest that GM and Ford can do somethings right, hard as it seems to imagine. The brands I like - Buick & Mercury - seem dead. But there is a glimmer of hope at brain dead Ford. The Marauder, while an old platform, high priced and of limited appeal, is coming and it is cool - especially with the supercharger option. Ford has not given up on Mercury and seems to acknowledge that it must be distinguished from the Ford division. Supposedly a v-8 rwd Cougar, based on next generation Mustang platform, is coming. Ford has a definite hit on their hands with the Focus; it is the first small American car to make inroads in the youth/Honda/Acura/Toyota market - as evidenced by all the after market hot parts available for the car. <P>As for Buick, though Bengal and LaCrosse may not be the ideal solutions to attracting more buyers, the cars do indicate some life there. The Renedzvous may add some volume but a Mexican built minivan is not my idea of a fine Buick automobile. <P>I am not confident but I do have hope. Cars like the original (but not current) Cougar and both original and final Riviera are what I like; Mercury and Buick would serve me well if they include exclusive, well designed, comfortable, fast, different but clearly American coupes in their future lineups.

It's getting harder, from my perspective at least - to continue buying "American" (??? confused.gif" border="0 )....for my family status right now, the Rendevous would be fantastic - but I REALLY don't want to put money in the bigwigs, CEO's, shareholders, and Mexican's pockets and totally leave out the good 'ol American worker. I really wonder with all the manufacturing, and now soon to be design/engineering work that is leaving this country - who the hell do they think is going to be able to afford to buy these cars if we're all being subjegated to working at McDonalds and Wendy's? My company is "outsourcing" more and more of its manufacturing and engineering...damn shame is all I can say ! mad.gif" border="0