Stoopid question

Restorer32

I have a possibly irreplaceable piece of curved auto glass which has begun clouding up along the edges. I presume this is caused by moisture infiltration into the laminate. Is there any way to reverse this damage? This is rear quarter glass for a '53 Packard Henney ambulance. I suspect it will be tough finding replacements.

Not stupid at all. I was in the auto glass business for ten years and I'm not really sure of the answer myself. I never heard of a way of reversing the clouding of laminated safety glass. Usually the clouding is accompanied by bubbling and delamination. Unless someone knows better than I (quite possible) the only thing I can recommend is to keep the damage from getting worse. This entails sealing the glass in its rubber channel to keep water away from the edge. Do this and you will stablilize the damage.

Incidentally, ambulance and hearse bodies were more-or-less custom made back in those days so the glass for your Packard may be the same as used in a Cadillac ambulance. I know that the manufacturers and dealers did not stock nor carry part numbers for these vehicle bodies. We had to get the glass from the ambulance dealer.

Try this, go to the longest established auto glass shop in the largest town near you. Ask them who they go to to obtain specialty parts for service vehicles; they may be able to help. Keep asking around; you may find a NOS replalcement; this is not a high-demand item. Stay away from the shops that provide "convenience store" type glass service. Their employees tend to know how to replace glass only - few installers today even know what a glass cutter looks like. Best of luck!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest imported_buggboy

Hi!

Bet I know the Henney you're working on, is it from MD? I was just given a 53 Henney Junior that is missing all the glass, and most everything else too. I am considering having some lexan molded by a plastics shop, probably an aircraft glass supplier. If all else fails, you might consider that.

Regards

Jase

I'll bet you don't watch American Hot Rod on Friday nites, but there was a great related feature on last nites show.They were building a fiberglass '34 Ford roadster with a modified curved glass windshield. Their body fab guy was rolling out an aluminum template on an English wheel and made a perfect compound curved aluminum "windshied". This pattern was then shipped to some glass guy to be used as a mould to make a new glass windshield. I wonder if your old glass could serve as a pattern?

Yes the Henney is from MD. I know we can have new glass made, we have good patterns but the cost would be astronomical. We've found parts for much less common vehicles than this, just thought I'd start the search early. Reminds me of a story. We were involved in the restoration of a 1917 Barrie Bell automobile built in Barrie, Ontario. After a fruitless several year long intensive search for a Covert transmission the decision was made to give up the hunt and install a non original but functional trans. The owner arrived home after the decision to abandon the search had been made to find a message on his answering machine offering a parts engine for the car. He didn't need another engine but went to take a look anyway. Turned out to be the wrong engine but attached to it was the correct Covert transmission. With luck you can see the transmission, as well as the rest of the car, on the showfield at Hershey this Fall. Sometimes fate smiles. smile.gif [color:\\"brown\\"]

Guest imported_buggboy

I'll be keeping my eyes out for good glass for you. BTW, the owner of that Henney has been saying all kinds of good things about you guys on the Professional Cars boards. I'd like to see your shop someday, how far are you from Reading? I know I'll be up there the first weekend in June for the WW2 weekend at the airport.

Since there's no stupid questions, I'll ask this one. Anyone know where I can get a windshield for a 1953 Cadillac Eldorado? They made 532 of them & it's a one of a kind fit for that car. The Buick & Olds windshield of the same year WILL NOT fit the Cadillac. Just thought I'd throw this out there. I have a friend who has a '53 Eldo with a cracked windshield and he's not computer literate.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Andynator

The vinyl between the glass layers is actually opaque when it is first sandwiched together. The layers are sealed by bagging the glass, putting it into an autoclave, heating and drawing a vacuum. This draws out moisture, compresses the vinyl and makes it clear, and also bonds the layers together. If you are seeing haziness versus small bubbling (delamination) the two lites may actually be separating due to very small differences in curvature, etc or the vinyl may be expanding. I doubt that it's actually moisture. A custom glass shop may be able to try and re-autoclave the part, but if it's because UV light is breaking down the vinyl it won't re-bond.

Not saying that I've ever done it, but it may be worth looking at?? I've been wrong LOTS of times.

Luck,

Andy

• 12 years later...

Old post or no.

There is an old guy that I used to use on occasion that did a lot of chops.

He would make a 3 dimensional pattern and take it to the glass warehouse and search for a larger window that he could cut his needed piece out of.