material that's under '56 trunk lid, what is it?

shart

I have a friend who is in the club but not very computer literate so I?m asking this Q for him. On a ?56 Buick, on the bottom side of the trunk lid, there is supposed to be

some fabric or something similar to it which is glued into the little odd-shaped

panels. Now this is under the trunk lid itself, not inside the trunk area. If you know

what that material is or what it is called and where you buy it, please reply here.

Thanks much!

You cannot duplicate the factory insatllation without removing the skin, but you can cut out the exposed material , make a pattern and glue in place. I cut mine slightly larger so I can tuck it under the edges of the opening. These panels were painted along with the underside of the trunk at the factory, but most restorers leave it black.

Willie

I removed the inner cross braces from the trunk lid on my 40 buick, cut it out

glued the paper insulation down and welded cross brace back. A lot of work. If you are restoring the car to concours condition , only way to go. Otherwise cut and piece and glue. This material was basically a sound insulator and kept the trunk from rattling.

Jim Schlf

palbuick@aol.com