Buick LeSabre Goes Over The Hill In No Time Flat

BUICK RACER

Buick LeSabre Goes Over The Hill In No Time Flat

The sedan may be known as an old person's vehicle, but this car enthusiast finds it a powerful ride.

Los Angeles Times

Ralph Vartabedian

December 03, 2003

How do you stuff a 6-foot-2 teenager in the back of a Honda Accord? You buy a Buick LeSabre.

Interior space is just one reason I own a LeSabre and endure the barbs and stares of my friends who drive Accords, BMWs, Camrys and Volvos and who think I am contemplating early retirement.

It's too bad that Buick has such a dowdy reputation, because it really doesn't deserve to be scorned. But then I stopped caring about phony images when I was in my 20s.

You might think I drive a Buick out of some misplaced conservative "Buy American" patriotism or liberal enthusiasm for the United Auto Workers. Maybe you think I grew up in Detroit, earning money for college by working on the assembly line, and now want to pay the city back by owning a General Motors product.

But that's mostly wrong. I am from Detroit, but I worked in a Chrysler assembly plant that turned out Dodge Chargers.

I've owned most of the popular imports through the years, but I always wanted to own a full-size American car. Then one day, I realized not only that I could afford one, but it also would be cheap and easy.

So I bought a used 1999 LeSabre because it had the room, power, fuel economy, reliability and safety that combined for an uncommonly well-designed product. The problem for Buick is that only people 60 years old seem to know this.

When J.D. Power & Associates this year rated the entire Buick line as having the third-best reliability of any make, it didn't surprise me. Only Lexus and Infiniti were rated higher -- and Buick trounced Toyota, Honda, BMW, Volvo, Mercedes-Benz and domestic makes.

Consumer Reports this year also rated the Buick Regal as the most reliable family sedan and put most of the Buick line on its recommended list.

I get 27 miles a gallon, about the same as with my last Accord. The Buick engine is an ancient design: an all-cast-iron pushrod V-6 with long-stroke pistons. But the engine is known to often reach 200,000 miles without an overhaul, and it somehow produces the power and fuel economy that beat more modern designs.

Recently I was driving back from a trip to the Sierra on two-lane Highway 395. My hiking partner, who owns a Subaru, was stunned by the LeSabre's passing power: It can speed from 40 mph to 60 mph in the blink of an eye. The engine produces maximum torque across almost its entire horsepower curve, a remarkable capability.

And the transmission has manual selections for every gear. So when I drive through the local mountains, as I do almost every weekend, I can select first, second, third or drive, depending on the grade of the road.

When I hear people say the Buick doesn't handle well, that's a pretty narrow view given that most reviewers put a premium on an aggressive style of driving that few people really have. In any case, it's an irrational criticism because the LeSabre handles curves far better than any sport utility vehicle or pickup.

The LeSabre is rated as one of the safest cars on the road, thanks to its low center of gravity, wide track and large mass. It has big tires that put a lot of rubber on the road, providing plenty of traction.

My car has a great sound system, and as with most GM cars, the Buick's air conditioner cools the car like a meat locker.

Then, there's the matter of the big teenager. Even before my son was 6 feet 2, his knees were poking through the seat back of my Accord. I tried driving a few SUVs, such as a Ford Explorer, and had the same space problem. With my LeSabre seat positioned for maximum front legroom, passengers in the rear still have plenty of space.

And theft? Forget it -- almost nobody steals a LeSabre. So the LeSabre is remarkably cheap to insure, giving me the benefit of the safety record of the retirees who own most Buicks.

No question, it is an old person's car. The average LeSabre buyer is over 60, meaning it's the last car many people will own.

But if you want a real bargain, consider a used LeSabre. Many used LeSabres are treated with extreme care and with hardly any miles on the odometer.

Buicks have been on the road for more than 100 years. The LeSabre is produced in Hamtramck, a city within Detroit that once had the largest Polish population outside Warsaw.

If you cheer for underdogs, you might like Billy Durant, the man who championed the Buick brand and then founded GM. Durant eventually lost everything and later ran a bowling alley in the shadows of the Buick factories that once employed 70,000 workers in Flint, Mich.

Buick pretty much left Flint, though the factory that makes the LeSabre's 3800 engine still is there, said Larry Gustin, Buick public relations manager.

"The LeSabre is the quintessential Buick," Gustin said. Translated from Midwest speak, I think that means: Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?

Roberta, this is a great article, and I'm glad you posted it here.

My daily driver for the commute to-and-from the office remains the ever-faithful '89 LeSabre Limited 2-door coupe. Everything that Ralph says in the article is true. And, yes, my friends who drive BMW's, Mercedes-Benz's, and Land Rovers don't understand. That's okay; I also realized long ago that being "cool" doesn't matter. Actually, it's kind of fun to drive a "reverse" status symbol!

In order to avoid sanding rock chips on the late model van, we opted to use the LeSabre for the Thanksgiving weekend trek to visit my family in Eastern Oregon. The family of four road in quiet comfort over the five mountain passes, and the front-drive set-up worked great in the snow and slush. We averaged about 30-miles per gallon at 70-mph for the 900-mile trip, and were packed to the gills with luggage. Yep, the guy who roared past me in his new Audi sedan had a smug look on his face, but who cares about him?

It is very difficult to pick apart the TRUTH!! The LeSabre is probably one of the best cars on the market, and they run forever!My wife's Park Ave has the same engine, and at 100,000 miles I pulled the easy plugs to get at, and they looked so good , I put them back in. It now has 122,000 miles and it still runs like new.

Guest my3buicks

Joe, you know that, Skyking knows that, Brian knows that, and I certainly agree, but I bet our resident know-it-all wont agree wink.gif

That title certainly seems to have a different meaning than what the commentary mentions.

Here's a link to a nice review of a 2003 Park Avenue Ultra that I found today. I somehow found it listed in a Motorway.com review of a new Cadillac DeVille in a Los Angeles newspaper. If it doesn't work for some reason, you can find it as I did: Google -- "Buick Park Avenue Ultra Review" in the search window.

motorway.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,246%257E25896%257E1027497,00.html#

There was another review that came up in the Google search that mentioned how the Park Avenue Ultra basically owned the market niche that it was in. Generally a good review too.

Thanks for posting the LeSabre article, Roberta!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just going to sit back & watch the group pick this one apart! grin.gif </div></div>

Me thinks he doth anticipate too much! smirk.gif

I like statements that can be read in multiple, utterly divergent ways. smile.gif

I like Buick and always have. I just wish they would re-do the Park Avenue. I have heard about a RWD version coming soon maybe???? I did a review at carsurvey.org i think it is. Basically the car is underpowered, the interior plastics and fake wood trim make me mad, it is FWD, the ride is not as good as it should be, there are no rear seat headrests, and the front headrests serve no purpose unless you lean all the way back (who does). Motortrend said maybe a version of the 275hp northstar would be coming to the park avenue, which would be great.

None of the newer Buicks excite me much. They are great high-quality American transportation alternatives, but where's the old passion? What would get me back to considering a Buick is something like a 2-door RWD "personal luxury" car like Riviera was in '63-'65. Simple, but elegant with lots of the traditional V8 Buick torque, like you could get from a 3800 stretched by two cylinders, Possibly a Wildcat? It could be based on the new GTO platform...

Speaking of the Riviera milestone cars, here's a bit of trivia (maybe it's well-known and I'll look stupid, but I look pretty stupid anyway):

Those distinctive front lamps with the horizontal ribs were a styling artifact from the time when they thought they were designing a revived LaSalle! It was a styling cue from the old LaSalle grille. At least that's what an issue of Cars and Parts said years back.

Also, the '65 Electra's long ribbed strip along the lower edge... a retrospect to the running board.

The problem with just about all of today's styles is, they aren't based on anything tangible or interesting, just aerodynamics and "what everybody else is doing." The "retro" VW Bugs and Thunderbirds are a little better, but instead of making replicas, stylists really need to look at less obvious, more creative cues.

Take the '60 Buick site that a member posted on this forum: a headlight treatment inspired by B-52 bomber engine nacelles. Now that's interesting!

The Park Ave. Ultra will climb any mountain and still put you in jail for speeding in any state in the union. It will also get phenomenal MPG and run literally forever with the 3800 that is presently available. The powers that be have tried to replace the 3800 for some time, but they still have no engine that compares. They talk about high tech engines, but the old push rod engine ,as it has evolved is tough to beat.

I hate to mention a link and then leave ya hangin. The web site I referred to earlier on 1960 Buicks was posted by 70 Electra. This link should take you right to the page on the B-52 styling cue, and also includes a really interesting history and pics on the "original French Connection car" which was a 1960 BUICK! I've always had a high opinion of that movie, but I wish they would have used the correct car... even though it would have been "dated" in relation to other vehicles in the movie. The Continental they used looked mean, but the black Buick looks even meaner. GREAT HISTORY!

http://hometown.aol.com/equipoise60/60buickhomepage7.html

I agree with the Riviera idea, although instead of the Riviera, how about brining back the Gran National and maybe a special edition GNX, could be on the GTO platform, but I think it would be great if Buick made it there own. I saw the concept Gran National and wasn't really impressed all,http://www.trishield.com/Concepts/regalgnxshowcar.shtml . I know it is dumb to dream about them bringin back the old Regal style, because I doubt they ever would. Buick is one of the only GM makes without a fast car. I don't want 14 seconds I want low 13's, that is a long shot.

midgewidge

The Riviera name has its own niche, and I wouldn't expect Buick to apply it to a radically different car now. I was just using the milestone cars as an example of the spririt of the vehicle I had in mind. I wouldn't really care what they called it, but I mentioned the Wildcat name because it's distinctive and has been out of circulation for so long--like 35 years.

I'm just dreaming about the kind of Buick that would get me in the showroom now. It's interesting you mention the Grand National name, which was a car I seriously considered back in 1984. It was out of my price range, though, and I could get a Mercury Capri RS with a 302 4bbl and 5-speed for like 2/3 the cost (about 10 grand--those were the days). It was my first new-car shopping experience and it turned out well. I also think the Grand National name should keep its Busch race heritage, so it would best be associated with a V6 engine.

How about soupin up the Lesabre. Give it the SC engine, Perfomance suspension cool wheels paint job like Olds did with the LSS. To try and attract the younger 30+ crowd who need a bigger car than a regal. Could call it a Wildcat. Just an idea.

Larry

muskegon, mi

2002 lesabre