Vintage Auto Clock

Jim Mitchell

This was made by Waltham (obviously) in MA. However you can't look at it and tell what car it went into. They had contracts with many major auto manufacturers from high end Locomobiles to Dodge and rare car makes. If you search for their advertising you can see they promoted themselves being used in a list of cars. The serial number can be looked up with on-line databases. https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/ is a useful one. The movement design didn't change too much over time with earlier ones (pre WWI) have an etched flowery design in the middle of the back plate. Earlier ones had brass barrel springs and later ones were steel. I have found that replacing the twin springs is a necessity to get them to run accurately for 8 days. Thus subtract $35 plus any recommissioning costs. Price is all over the place but I laugh at high priced ones as they are so easy to find. Lastly if you don't have the setting stem screwed in from below (6:00) position it wont run well as it defaults (like many pocket watches do) into hand setting mode and there's too much drag on the movement to run correctly. All these factors equate into "usability" and therefore value.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, prewarnut said:

This was made by Waltham (obviously) in MA. However you can't look at it and tell what car it went into. They had contracts with many major auto manufacturers from high end Locomobiles to Dodge and rare car makes. If you search for their advertising you can see they promoted themselves being used in a list of cars. The serial number can be looked up with on-line databases. https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/ is a useful one. The movement design didn't change too much over time with earlier ones (pre WWI) have an etched flowery design in the middle of the back plate. Earlier ones had brass barrel springs and later ones were steel. I have found that replacing the twin springs is a necessity to get them to run accurately for 8 days. Thus subtract $35 plus any recommissioning costs. Price is all over the place but I laugh at high priced ones as they are so easy to find. Lastly if you don't have the setting stem screwed in from below (6:00) position it wont run well as it defaults (like many pocket watches do) into hand setting mode and there's too much drag on the movement to run correctly. All these factors equate into "usability" and therefore value.

I don't think theres a stem. It's a Rim wind,Rim set.  I used to have one. Sold it of course. 🤔

This is not a rim-wind, it is a model 37s Waltham and I have not seen any which are rim-wind. There's an expert I have consulted on clocks who also concurs Waltham didn't make rim-winds. At any rate if there is a hole under the 6:00 position it is not a rim-wind.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Jim Mitchell said:

Found this while going thru my Dads estate. It might have been from a car my grandfather owned. I never knew him as he passed before I was born. So I don’t know what kind of car he had. Any help would be appreciated. And does it have any value?

thanks,

jim

A picture of the back would be helpful.

3 hours ago, prewarnut said:

This is not a rim-wind, it is a model 37s Waltham and I have not seen any which are rim-wind. There's an expert I have consulted on clocks who also concurs Waltham didn't make rim-winds. At any rate if there is a hole under the 6:00 position it is not a rim-wind.

Ok Fooled me with the serrated rim.