"Call for price"

22 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

90% of the time they are expecting

transport below the cost

of equipment operation …

As low as

$0.15 a mile in some cases.

15 cents a mile is a hoot, but I get together with some old guys for coffee and the things they say sometimes seems to come from an AI generated sitcom script. And they believe it.

I have never been called frugal. Why, I don't even eat the packaged condiments when I am sitting right there inside a restaurant! And I can't recall ever owning a "hard earned dollar", but I do have a pretty good handle on price and value. I have brought one vehicle home myself in this century. That was a running, driving, licensed truck 300 miles away.

If you start adding up the costs of fuel, lodging, and food it is pretty hard to beat transporting a vehicle. The farther away, the better the deal.

I had a $3,000 project car shipped from Seattle to western, New York back about 2008 for $1700. That will never happen again, for sure but my timing was just right. $4,400 total, parked in my garage.

The IRS allows 60 cents per mile this year, 40 cents if you are being charitable. That is what they call cost. A business working with the thirds rule is going to be + overhead, + profit. I bought a late model car on the Maryland border in Pennsylvania that was about a 6 hour drive from me. Something like $425 got it in my driveway. I couldn't have done it myself for that.

Gas prices are down now so my Avalanche costs under 20 cents a mile to drive. I have a feel and a comfort for current prices. I figure it is because I am lucky enough to be active and participating.

Back to the pricing, come on over, point to anything you see. I will give you a price in a second.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

If they owned a truck and trailer to do this they would not be calling you! 

Well technically you broker your own services... But, who calls you thinking you are a broker? A price for you to do a haul is not asking you to be a broker. It is asking YOU to do the work.

Do you only give a price/invoice to haul a car only after you do the haul? Then you are T&M, and that is a GREAT business model! Carry on and us normal people know not to call you.😉

I tried to get a quote from him a while back, even after several tries I couldn't get him to give me a number. I gave up. The other carriers I called had no trouble coming up with a price.

• Like 2

Whenever I see something selling without a price, I just assume the seller knows he’s overpriced and is just hoping some stupid sucker will pay his inflated price.  What other explanation could there be?

Edited by John_Mc (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 9/28/2024 at 7:05 PM, Trulyvintage said:

Most vehicles are not worth 

paying someone else to transport

across the country in a manner 

so they arrive in the condition 

that they are purchased.

Jim

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what is being said here, this has to be the most ridiculous statement I've heard in several years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 9/28/2024 at 9:56 AM, Gary_Ash said:

There is always stuff in our house that needs to go.  It would never sell for enough to change my lifestyle or even pay for a nice dinner out.  So, we just push it to the curb in front of the house, put a sign on it saying "FREE", and it's usually gone in an hour or so.  We once saw a guy struggling to get an old lawnmower of ours into his truck, so I went out and helped him load it.  That saved me from an hour trip to the dump.

Here is my poster child for giving away for free.  Saved me about $500.00 by not taking it to the landfill. 

Gone in about one day.

image000000 (45).jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1